Vernon Adams Jr Draft projection

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I think that's fair. I actually think there's a good chance he goes undrafted. I'd love to see the seahawks give him a chance though as a backup. Great college player, I think he's too small (slight of frame and short) and too slow to be a full time starting nfl qb IMO. You never know though, he does have a lot of the "it" factor you want in a qb.

kearly

Reaction score
He's short.
He's way too light for the NFL at 190 pounds (listed). Russell is currently at 206 and used to be around 215.
He gets dinged a lot.
He has one year playing in a major conference.

I love the guy, but the NFL is going to see him as Case Keenum 2.0. That said, I hope the Seahawks see what I see in him (Russell Wilson-lite) and snag Adams in the 6th or 7th round. That Adams is a local player will help Seattle get him if he goes undrafted since teams tend to have more success acquiring local undrafted players, probably due to having unlimited local pre-draft visits.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
His issues due to sickle cell trait won't help get him drafted, either. Hard to have your QB not be able to play in Denver.

I expect he'll be a priority free agent when it's all said and done--still think he'll have a future in the NFL however.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I don't think he is starter material for reasons already stated but he would fit here as a backup very nicely. I hope we get him.

drrew

Reaction score
UDFA seems about right.

If he's a film/preparation junkie he may have a chance at a practice squad next season.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
He has been selected to play in the east/west shrine game. Will be interesting to see how he does in that type of setting. I don't think he's the kind of guy you'll see in practice or a combine setting and think, "oh, we've got to get that guy!" He's a guy that will depend on his game film and the interview process with his intangibles.

kearly

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":3l5ror4x said:
Funny. These are all the same things that were said about RW, pre-draft.

Other than height and skillset, they are pretty different. Russell had NFL bulk, stayed very healthy in college, and had a ton of experience in the power conferences. Russell will probably end up with better combine numbers too.

Russell was always seen as a mid-round prospect who then rose up draft boards. Vernon Adams is more comparable to Keith Price in terms of draft stock than Wilson. Like Price, Adams is under weight and constantly dinged, but he's a smart QB and a good athlete.

Price didn't catch on in the NFL but he did get a minicamp invite to Seattle. I feel very good about Adams ending up in Seattle if he goes undrafted. Unlike Price I think Adams has a bright future in the NFL, though it will probably begin as a backup.

kearly

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":3fetv33b said:
His issues due to sickle cell trait won't help get him drafted, either. Hard to have your QB not be able to play in Denver.

I expect he'll be a priority free agent when it's all said and done--still think he'll have a future in the NFL however.

I didn't know about the sickle cell issue. Scouts are going to freak out over that. Even with today's modern medicine, people with sickle cell disease live much shorter lives. Sickle Cell cramping can strike anywhere at any time and often requires hospitalization.

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Don't forget to mention he's not even in the same league as Wilson in the arm talent department. Wilson has a canon. Stories are that his arm was so live at the combine that Brandon Weeden, who originally wasn't going to throw, decided to hop in because RW's ball was literally humming.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
HuskerHawk":310xrnan said:
Don't forget to mention he's not even in the same league as Wilson in the arm talent department. Wilson has a canon. Stories are that his arm was so live at the combine that Brandon Weeden, who originally wasn't going to throw, decided to hop in because RW's ball was literally humming.

Not sure that I agree with that. I think he throws a better deep ball then Wilson does. They both throw the ball really, really well.