McShay mock 1.0: Nebraska DT Maliek Collins to Seattle

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Obviously still really early in the process.. but wouldn't mind this pick.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... =206288967

IMNDKXCJYSODTKZ.20141101234345.JPG

Other notable picks:

1. DE Joey Bosa - TEN
2. QB Paxton Lynch - CLE

5. QB Jared Goff - Niners
10. WR Laquon Treadwell - Rams
30. QB Carson Wentz - Cardinals

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
If we were going DT I'd prefer either Kenny Clark or Andrew Billings over Collins, but like you said it's early in the process. Lots of time left to evaluate some of these guys better.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":pizms5ry said:
Not a fan personally.

Here are some thoughts on McShay's mock and who was available for the Seahawks + why they might not go DT early...

LINK: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/todd-mcsha ... or-seattle

Nice read.. passing on Apple and Corey Coleman there (I'm a WR whore so thats where my love for him falls in line) would be tough.. especially Apple who I think would be a wonderful addition to the secondary. But given the FO's track record of unearthing good corners in the later rounds I wouldn't be surprised if they waiting on corner for awhile. Especially if Shead continues to grow into that role.

Shon Coleman is also very intriguing, but as you said.. Okung's FA status could dictate that pick as well.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Similarly not a fan of Collins. Seems very much like a JAG. Billings, Washington and Day are higher on my list.

I'm actually beginning to like Day very much as a late second round pocket of talent guy. May even slide to mid third. Things I like about him is that he's very quick off the ball. Just don't see anything particularly special about Collins that makes me think Schneider would spend that kind of pick on him.

I think we can see this mock pick as authored by someone that doesn't really have a good idea of how JS grades prospects. We may not always get the actual picks right, but I think we get in the ballpark a lot and even hit on a few actual picks.

I'd also mention, that while Seattle does do generally well with late round DB picks -- we have a few successive years now where we've busted out on them. Even if we were to hit on another late pick, the expectation should be that we won't know that until 2017 (if he takes time to develop as all of our late picks have had to do). It's possible that Seattle needs to accelerate that development curve due to the fact that we are 'behind schedule' in the development phase. In which case getting a player that comes into the league with a better talent level may be required to get back on track.

Or Tye Smith could be good enough and blossom next year. I think though that if that were the case, we'd have seen him in at least some spot duty this year. We rolled Maxwell, Sherman and Lane out there early on. The fact we haven't, despite obvious deficiency at the one CB spot leaves me suspicious that Tye is seen internally as a good fit.

kearly

Reaction score
I think Seattle's roster has turned things around well enough that the Seahawks can go BPA in the early rounds. That said, I have a preference for corner and offensive tackle early on.

Seattle has found good depth at corner late in the draft, but finding Ricard Sherman is starting to look more and more like a stroke of good luck. The next best corner was Maxwell, and Maxwell provided most of his value by making plays, not by giving blanket coverage. Most of the rest of our corners have been good as depth but exploitable as starters.

The back half of the first round has produced some good corners in recent years, so if an opportunity is there for Seattle to get a Jimmy Smith / Marcus Peters / Desmond Trufant type of talent to compliment Sherman, I think that's the move that would upgrade the team the most, if such an opportunity were available. I wouldn't want the team to draft a corner early just because, but if the right guy is there I think Seattle needs to start considering it as an option. Cornerback is currently the biggest weak spot on the team, which is saying a lot given Sherman's presence.

If not corner, then I'd like Seattle to keep a close eye on the OT group this year, it's reputed to be pretty good in 2016. Garry Gilliam is a mediocre at best run blocker and struggles in protection. It hasn't mattered as much lately because Wilson is getting the ball out in 2 seconds consistently and Thomas Rawls made our run game look good. But that doesn't mean that an upgrade at RT wouldn't benefit the run game, or help Wilson hold the ball longer when he wants to look deep.

As far as DT goes, it's an area Seattle has gotten strong results from with low end free agents and mid-round picks. The next Aaron Donald probably isn't in this draft, and if he was, he wouldn't make it into the 20s or 30s. DT is also one of the more bust-prone positions in the first round, IIRC. I think Seattle will stay the course with mid-round picks and veterans. Some of the best non-pass rushing DTs, like Terrance Knighton, signed for bargain deals in open free agency.

Only way I see them going DT in round 1 is if a DT is BPA and Seattle doesn't feel strongly about any of the alternatives and can't get a decent deal to move down.

purpleneer

Reaction score
The late-round DB options aren't what they used to be. It hasn't been as easy to find that next great corner there because the rest of the league has adjusted and certain guys don't make as deep as they might have in a different year. It's another example of the need to adapt and realize the same path to success isn't likely to work for an extended stretch.
As far as needs, I'm in full agreement that it's important to find an OT who can at least start out as your 3rd guy and has a good chance to be a good starter in year 2. I feel the same way about finding a true TE who is or will soon be solid as both a blocker and reliable chain-mover.

chris98251

Reaction score
Well the way things will shake out since that posting may be much different
even if you move him inside to guard. I think he goes top-15.
I don't think were going to be that high and we know how John is about trading up as far as Coleman goes.

I like some of the picks but we have three more weeks to see how top 20 sets up or so and then the chess match for the last 12 begins.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I think we need to plan for post Mebane and that DT is an area where we need a shot of young talent.

If Okung leaves then OT is #1 priority, if not I think RB and DT should be grabbed with our first 3 picks.

massari

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1543cm4l said:
I think we need to plan for post Mebane and that DT is an area where we need a shot of young talent.

If Okung leaves then OT is #1 priority, if not I think RB and DT should be grabbed with our first 3 picks.
How come a RB early is so necessary? If they're picking a RB, wouldn't they take one with a mid/late pick considering Rawls is already the #1? Unless Elliot is available in the late 2nd, it seems to me like they can/should pick one late or just wait until the loaded 2017 class.

Hoping they are in the position by the draft to pick the BPA out of OL/DL/CB/WR/RB/OLB.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents, I don't believe that the Seahawks need to draft a CB in early rounds. This coaching staff has shown it can develop players in the secondary. Earl Thomas is the only 1st round pick in the secondary. DT to replace Mebane is a need and if Billings and Clark are there then definitely go that route. If Irvin leaves, then OLB could be a need too.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":abxqsjm9 said:
Just my 2 cents, I don't believe that the Seahawks need to draft a CB in early rounds. This coaching staff has shown it can develop players in the secondary.

I think we could easily make that case that there could have been more luck involved with that than we like to admit. Yes, they can develop players late (they've developed other good players out of late picks too). They picked up 4 good ones in 2010/11/12.

They've also not developed anything for the last 3 years: 2013, 2014 and 2015. And those guys they did develop are now mostly gone having been developed into starters on other teams' rosters. So at best, the results are mixed.

And it's also worth noting, that none of those later round picks became day one starters. We might need that kind of quality next year. What if we lose Lane? Or Shead?

I'll also echo what was mentioned earlier in the thread:

purpleneer":abxqsjm9 said:
The late-round DB options aren't what they used to be. It hasn't been as easy to find that next great corner there because the rest of the league has adjusted and certain guys don't make as deep as they might have in a different year. It's another example of the need to adapt and realize the same path to success isn't likely to work for an extended stretch.

It's pretty clear that the copycat league dried up a lot of the options we had out there to ourselves. It'll be interesting to see if some teams abandon this given the number of teams unsuccessful at reproducing our results.

I think it's at least equally likely that we just lucked into some qualilty talent as much as we are good at developing talent. But even if we haven't lost our touch -- the reality is it'll take a fair bit of time for that talent to be developed and be a contributor. Time that this team may not have.

One also has to be curious. If we're that adept at developing talent -- don't you wonder what we could do with a player that comes into the league with superior talent, tools and skills to begin with? We didn't do too badly with Earl. Remember, whatever CB plays opposite Sherman is going to have a ton of opportunities to make plays. A high quality #2 corner on this team is going to have the ability to really impact games due to the disproportionate number of opportunities.