Cody Kessler's draft stock

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Watching this guy last night he sure looks like a pro prospect to me. Don't understand why he's considered the 8th best QB coming out this year. His TD to int ratio is very good and his arm strength looked at least decent from what I could tell. Looked to me like his decision making process was good. Plays in a pro style offense too.

Could someone with more knowledge drop into this thread and tell me why he isn't like a 2nd rounder at least.

JSeahawks

Reaction score

SeatownJay

Reaction score
My guess is that Kessler will end up being a career backup, a la Charlie Whitehurst or Matt Flynn.

OP
OP
H

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
OK, thanks but I'm gonna say right here he's better than that at least physically. We shall see. Threw a couple of deep balls last night that were a thing of beauty and if his WR gave just a tad more effort, like diving for the damned ball, he would've caught them. Placed three or four like that perfectly. Of course Brock Huard looked the same in college so maybe he's the 2nd coming of Brock. <shrug>

sc85sis

Reaction score
He has wilted at times and doesn't have great arm strength. I would be surprised if he's more than a backup in the NFL on arm strength if nothing else. Definitely needs to be in the right system as his longer throws usually don't have the zip you'd like to see.

Having said that, Cody is a great kid. He's had an awful lot to deal with in his college career--sanctions, multiple coaching staffs, etc.--and has never complained or shown anything but leadership. I think sometimes he's unfairly criticized by USC fans, some of whom are over the top in their expectations.

I hope whatever he ends up doing, he has success.

Subzero717

Reaction score
In the perfect system with the right coach he is Matt Hasselbeck. In any other situation he is slightly better than Matt Barkey but not enough to talk about. His attitude, character etc is far better than Matts so who knows.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Subzero717":3cjqzq1q said:
In the perfect system with the right coach he is Matt Hasselbeck. In any other situation he is slightly better than Matt Barkey but not enough to talk about. His attitude, character etc is far better than Matts so who knows.

You really think he's better than Barkley? At least as a college qb I thought Barkley was way more talented. Wienie arm though.

I always thought Barkley was the strength of the team. Watching USC lately I've felt Kessler was the weakness.

CPHawk

Reaction score
He's horrible. He disappeared in every game vs a ranked team he ever played.

Subzero717

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1oh5a0gs said:
Subzero717":1oh5a0gs said:

You really think he's better than Barkley? At least as a college qb I thought Barkley was way more talented. Wienie arm though.

I always thought Barkley was the strength of the team. Watching USC lately I've felt Kessler was the weakness.
Yes. Although Im biased.