Next years PAC 12 north is going to be fun

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Stanford, UW, WSU and Oregon fans should all be pretty confident in their squads.

My opinion is that both Stanford and Oregon will be in the playoff conversation, and the 2 Washington schools are just a step behind. But I think all 4 of those teams have a good shot at 9 or more wins.

Already can't wait for next september. College football is the best.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
All 4 teams have issues.

Ducks have no QB and no defense.

Stanford is replacing a ton of experience.

UW showed flashes against bad teams and teams playing back ups, but was very inconsistent.

Cougs found ways to win lots of close games, but had a few clunkers. PSU and UW games especially.

kearly

Reaction score
I don't think David Shaw is as good as his reputation, but I have to respect a guy who is very good at keeping the wheel spinning. McCaffrey was just robbed of the Heisman and to me it's crystal clear that he's the best player in college football right now. If you want to beat Stanford you better be ready to score a lot.

WSU will need their surprising 2015 defense to hold up in 2016. Defenses can be fluky season to season, but I have a gut feeling that WSU's defense will be solid again next year. WSU had a sound defense in 2015, not a splashy one. Which makes me think it is probably here to stay.

I am bearish on Oregon. I know Lockie is not going to be starting next year but it's hard to watch the Ducks without Adams this year and be excited about the future of that team. Adams is a very special player, it is absolutely amazing how many flaws he hid with his play. When he wasn't on the field this year, the Ducks might as well have changed their name to the Oregon Schmucks.

Prukop is a very obvious case of an athlete playing QB, he'll have to learn the playbook and develop chemistry with his receivers like a true freshman QB, and he'll be facing power conference competition for the first time in his life. In the FCS, he was known as a running QB, but at 6'2" and light in his britches, he'd probably have to dial back the running a lot next season when facing defenses that are much bigger, much faster, and much better coached. Oregon's defense still stinks, and the competition in the north is brutal. I smell a 4th place finish in the North for Oregon next year, and though it isn't really fair, the TCU bowl game had a bit of an 'end of an era' feel to it.

I think that, in terms of advanced stats, the 2016 Huskies are a solid bet to finish #1 in the Pac-12. I am really excited for this team. Jake Browning went from an overwhelmed true freshman to a guy that has "NFL future" written all over him in the span of a couple months. The defense was #1 in the conference and is returning almost everyone. Miles Gaskin is a star. The last time UW had an OL this good they won the Rose Bowl. John Ross has the talent of a day 1 pick, and he's returning after missing 2015.

UW was only 7-6 in 2015, but their scoring differential was an eye popping +152, good for 2nd in the Pac-12. Only Stanford (+183) was better, thanks to having the best player in College football.

All of this is very exciting especially when considering the freakishly low number of 2015 juniors and seniors, something like 75% of the Huskies 2015 team was made up of Freshman and Sophomores.

Yet while I think UW is the best "team" (and might also have the best coaching staff) next season, I do have a serious question about them winning the north for one reason. The question I have is, can the Huskies do better at winning close games? It's possible UW could be a dominant force next season but all it takes is one badly timed close loss to the wrong team to piss it all away. UW played very well this season, but when games were close it seemed like they couldn't quite finish the deal as often as they should have.

I'll probably be wrong, but my expectation for next season in the Pac12 north is:

1. UW
2. Stanford
3. WSU
4. Oregon
5. Oregon State
6. Cal

I think UW and Stanford are well above the pack. I give UW the slightest edge since they host Stanford in 2016 and Stanford will be rolling with a new QB.

cesame

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see how Stanford and Oregon do with new quarterbacks. Luckily both teams have their Heisman candidates coming back at RB.

Oregon will likely take a step back at QB (just because Vernon Adams is damn good), but they've gone to Rose Bowl's and National Championships with guys like Jeremiah Masoli and Darron Thomas. Prukop may not be Mariota or Adams, but he's probably better than Masoli and at least as good as Thomas imo. Masoil's accuracy was inconsistent at best and Darron Thomas was just a system guy with some decent tools and good leadership. I think it's very reasonable to expect Prukop to be at that level, especially considering the weapons coming back at RB and WR. Oregon is returning everyone. It's really a QB's dream. Oregon's been #1 in scoring in the conference since 2007 and I don't really see that changing. The defense OTOH...... hard to tell until it's official if Pellum is fired or staying. The talent is certainly there on defense to be a top tier defense in the PAC, which is where they've been since 2009. Before this year they've finished top 3 in scoring defense every year in the PAC other than 2011 (5th). Pellum really needs to go. He's Oregon's Nick Holt right now.

WSU/UW.... these teams because of their recruiting need to ride a hot streak the entire season to win the conference as far as I see it. The talent just isn't there compared to the rest of the conference and especially Stanford and Oregon. I compare them both to ASU. They compete in every game but not good enough to win them all or only lose 1 or 2 games. They've made strides but there isn't much that says they're ready dethrone either Stanford or Oregon

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
kearly":2hc47cll said:
I don't think David Shaw is as good as his reputation, but I have to respect a guy who is very good at keeping the wheel spinning. McCaffrey was just robbed of the Heisman and to me it's crystal clear that he's the best player in college football right now. If you want to beat Stanford you better be ready to score a lot.

WSU will need their surprising 2015 defense to hold up in 2016. Defenses can be fluky season to season, but I have a gut feeling that WSU's defense will be solid again next year. WSU had a sound defense in 2015, not a splashy one. Which makes me think it is probably here to stay.

I am bearish on Oregon. I know Lockie is not going to be starting next year but it's hard to watch the Ducks without Adams this year and be excited about the future of that team. Adams is a very special player, it is absolutely amazing how many flaws he hid with his play. When he wasn't on the field this year, the Ducks might as well have changed their name to the Oregon Schmucks.

Prukop is a very obvious case of an athlete playing QB, he'll have to learn the playbook and develop chemistry with his receivers like a true freshman QB, and he'll be facing power conference competition for the first time in his life. In the FCS, he was known as a running QB, but at 6'2" and light in his britches, he'd probably have to dial back the running a lot next season when facing defenses that are much bigger, much faster, and much better coached. Oregon's defense still stinks, and the competition in the north is brutal. I smell a 4th place finish in the North for Oregon next year, and though it isn't really fair, the TCU bowl game had a bit of an 'end of an era' feel to it.

I think that, in terms of advanced stats, the 2016 Huskies are a solid bet to finish #1 in the Pac-12. I am really excited for this team. Jake Browning went from an overwhelmed true freshman to a guy that has "NFL future" written all over him in the span of a couple months. The defense was #1 in the conference and is returning almost everyone. Miles Gaskin is a star. The last time UW had an OL this good they won the Rose Bowl. John Ross has the talent of a day 1 pick, and he's returning after missing 2015.

UW was only 7-6 in 2015, but their scoring differential was an eye popping +152, good for 2nd in the Pac-12. Only Stanford (+183) was better, thanks to having the best player in College football.

All of this is very exciting especially when considering the freakishly low number of 2015 juniors and seniors, something like 75% of the Huskies 2015 team was made up of Freshman and Sophomores.

Yet while I think UW is the best "team" (and might also have the best coaching staff) next season, I do have a serious question about them winning the north for one reason. The question I have is, can the Huskies do better at winning close games? It's possible UW could be a dominant force next season but all it takes is one badly timed close loss to the wrong team to piss it all away. UW played very well this season, but when games were close it seemed like they couldn't quite finish the deal as often as they should have.

I'll probably be wrong, but my expectation for next season in the Pac12 north is:

1. UW
2. Stanford
3. WSU
4. Oregon
5. Oregon State
6. Cal

I think UW and Stanford are well above the pack. I give UW the slightest edge since they host Stanford in 2016 and Stanford will be rolling with a new QB.

Scoring differential can be misleading. UW's was heavily impacted by blowout wins over Sac State, Arizona, OSU, and WSU.

2 of those teams are god awful, and 1 was missing several major pieces. The upshot here is UW wasn't blown out in any of their losses, so that is usually a good sign.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":6qrlcvmd said:
and though it isn't really fair, the TCU bowl game had a bit of an 'end of an era' feel to it.

Yes, the end of the Don Pellum, Jeff Lockie and Doug Brenner era. :th2thumbs:

cesame

Reaction score
And Pellum is demoted back to coaching the LB

Oregon is now looking for a new DC

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
cesame":ht9tl4a7 said:
And Pellum is demoted back to coaching the LB

Oregon is now looking for a new DC

Wish they would have kept Chinander at linebackers and fired Pellum. Sounds like Chins is joining Scott Frost at UCF to be their defensive coordinator. He was one of our top 3 recruiters along with Lubick and Campbell.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I really hope uncle Phil is going to buy us a good dc. I know he had a meeting with helfrich and the athletic director after the bowl game.

I'm hoping for either Clancy Pendergast or Todd Orlando. Worried it might be Justin Wilcox.

kearly

Reaction score
cesame":1l6giizu said:
Oregon will likely take a step back at QB (just because Vernon Adams is damn good), but they've gone to Rose Bowl's and National Championships with guys like Jeremiah Masoli and Darron Thomas. Prukop may not be Mariota or Adams, but he's probably better than Masoli and at least as good as Thomas imo. Masoil's accuracy was inconsistent at best and Darron Thomas was just a system guy with some decent tools and good leadership. I think it's very reasonable to expect Prukop to be at that level, especially considering the weapons coming back at RB and WR. Oregon is returning everyone. It's really a QB's dream. Oregon's been #1 in scoring in the conference since 2007 and I don't really see that changing. The defense OTOH...... hard to tell until it's official if Pellum is fired or staying. The talent is certainly there on defense to be a top tier defense in the PAC, which is where they've been since 2009. Before this year they've finished top 3 in scoring defense every year in the PAC other than 2011 (5th). Pellum really needs to go. He's Oregon's Nick Holt right now.

But without Adams, that offense looked terrible. I think Freeman is a good player and will have a nice NFL career someday, but I think this season revealed that he can't carry an offense the way some elite RBs (McCaffrey) can.

I get Colt Lyerla flashbacks hearing you guys hype Prukop. Honestly, none of us know a lot about him, but what little we do know should temper enthusiasm. He's never played a game against a power conference opponent. His mechanics suck. He's an extreme running QB who weighs... 200 pounds. And even in the FCS, he was only .500 as a starter. His record in close games and shootout games is terrible. And he'll be a transferring QB, which means there will be an adjustment period of some duration. He's a senior but his situation is closer to that of a true freshman in many ways.

I'm glad you brought up Masoli because I think that is probably the best comparison that could be made. Masoli was also a transferring player who was more athlete than QB. Masoli also played the 1st year after transferring, in 2008. And posted nearly as many rush TDs as pass TDs. Masoli was a very good running QB but his passing numbers were below average.

Masoli though, was 3 inches shorter yet 20 pounds heavier than Prukop. So his build made sense for a running QB. If Prukop adds weight then fine, but if he doesn't, I wouldn't expect a 200 pound QB to make it through the season running several times a game.

I think mostly though, Duck fans have to appreciate how special it is to have Adams and Mariota back to back at QB. I would argue that they are the two best QBs in college football the past two years. Adams averaged 10.2 yards per attempt, which is pretty nuts. And his adjusted yards per attempt, which factors TDs and INTs, was a stupid high 11.2. You guys aren't replacing a QB, you are replacing a super star. The drop from Vernon Adams to a guy that's probably going to be 2008 Jeremiah Masoli is going to be huge.

The best point you make is about Pellum, who was just demoted recently. I don't really buy that Oregon's defense is full of talent, but a good DC hire could turn around a defense almost regardless of talent.

cesame":1l6giizu said:
WSU/UW.... these teams because of their recruiting need to ride a hot streak the entire season to win the conference as far as I see it. The talent just isn't there compared to the rest of the conference and especially Stanford and Oregon. I compare them both to ASU. They compete in every game but not good enough to win them all or only lose 1 or 2 games. They've made strides but there isn't much that says they're ready dethrone either Stanford or Oregon

If recruiting classes decided things then USC would be saying "Pete who?" What is far more important is how coaches develop their players. Case in point: Troy Williams, Jeff Lindquist, and Cyler Miles all had the same prospect rating as Jake Browning.

One thing I really respected about Chip Kelly and Chris Petersen during his BSU days was how both of them were so good at turning low level recruits into NFL prospects. That hasn't really continued for Oregon after Kelly left, though Petersen is still working his magic, now more than ever, at UW.

UW just had 3 defensive players go in the 1st round, and a 4th player went in the 2nd round. Some of those players, Peters and Shaq, are already stars in the NFL as rookies. This last year he pulled a top end LT and RB out of thin air and got Browning to be a good QB well ahead of schedule. His defense is a bit of a no-name defense, but it was best in the conference.

So in terms of developed talent, I think UW is tops in the north. And it's not like their recruiting classes have sucked either, they've ranked in the top half of the conference in each of Petersen's two years here.

UW got jobbed against Utah and crapped all over themselves despite dominating the box score against ASU, but otherwise, they looked like the most complete team in the conference in the 2nd half of the season. At the end of the season UW's offense was rolling (and very balanced) and their defense didn't let up at all.

I don't see UW as being like ASU. ASU actually has much better recruiting classes than a lot of people realize, better than Oregon in fact, but they haven't translated those recruiting classes into success or dominance. UW has been the opposite, maximizing their good but not great recruiting classes and turning a lot of no name players into studs with NFL futures.

In regards to WSU, it's hard to tell how much of 2015 was a fluke for them, but if they can repeat 2015's success, then I think they will be good enough to be favored against Oregon next year. Leach is not a bad coach and now that his players are finally buying in it seems like the result on the field is getting somewhere. The QB for WSU is under-rated IMO. Yeah he's a system guy with concussion problems, but he's a tough QB who plays very well in the clutch. When WSU went into the Apple Cup without him, they were completely obliterated. And if not for a shanked FG, they would have beaten Stanford last year.

JSeahawks":1l6giizu said:
I really hope uncle Phil is going to buy us a good dc. I know he had a meeting with helfrich and the athletic director after the bowl game.

I'm hoping for either Clancy Pendergast or Todd Orlando. Worried it might be Justin Wilcox.

Meeting with the HC and AD after an embarrassing loss is pretty interesting... I honestly have no idea what he would say.

Wilcox was good at all his stops before USC. And at USC he was "okay". It would bum me out if Oregon hired Wilcox because I think he would fix that D the same way he did at UW. He seems to do best with lesser ingredients.

kearly

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":31iffw9m said:
Scoring differential can be misleading. UW's was heavily impacted by blowout wins over Sac State, Arizona, OSU, and WSU.

2 of those teams are god awful, and 1 was missing several major pieces. The upshot here is UW wasn't blown out in any of their losses, so that is usually a good sign.

Scoring differential is actually the best indicator stat you can find outside of advanced stats. There are very few elite teams with poor differentials. As has been noted at Football Outsiders, blowouts matter, even if you are blowing out bad teams.

UW scored 44+ in four of their final six games. They posted a +118 scoring differential in the final 6 games.

The only game all season where UW was clearly outmatched was at Stanford, the game that Browning missed with an arm / shoulder injury.

Just watching them, I haven't seen a UW team this good and this complete in a very long time. By the end of the year, Browning raised his YPA to 8.0, and his RB broke records. Both were true freshman. The OL was the best its been in 15 years. The defense was solid and consistent.

I don't really care about Sac State. But in the 2nd half of the season, UW was competing with tough teams and taking flawed teams back behind the woodshed. And they did this without almost any star power at WR, so it should be fun to see what the return of John Ross and the upcoming recruiting class will have next season. If UW wins less than 10 games next year i will be disappointed.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
kearly":208xp3qd said:
In regards to WSU, it's hard to tell how much of 2015 was a fluke for them, but if they can repeat 2015's success, then I think they will be good enough to be favored against Oregon next year. Leach is not a bad coach and now that his players are finally buying in it seems like the result on the field is getting somewhere. The QB for WSU is under-rated IMO. Yeah he's a system guy with concussion problems, but he's a tough QB who plays very well in the clutch. When WSU went into the Apple Cup without him, they were completely obliterated. And if not for a shanked FG, they would have beaten Stanford last year.

1 concussion qualifies as "concussion problems" now?

I guess that means that Jake Browning has "shoulder problems?"

Good grief, UW homers are insufferable in their ignorance.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
kearly":14hhfqzm said:
Seahawks1983":14hhfqzm said:

Scoring differential is actually the best indicator stat you can find outside of advanced stats. There are very few elite teams with poor differentials. As has been noted at Football Outsiders, blowouts matter, even if you are blowing out bad teams.

UW scored 44+ in four of their final six games. They posted a +118 scoring differential in the final 6 games.

The only game all season where UW was clearly outmatched was at Stanford, the game that Browning missed with an arm / shoulder injury.

Just watching them, I haven't seen a UW team this good and this complete in a very long time. By the end of the year, Browning raised his YPA to 8.0, and his RB broke records. Both were true freshman. The OL was the best its been in 15 years. The defense was solid and consistent.

I don't really care about Sac State. But in the 2nd half of the season, UW was competing with tough teams and taking flawed teams back behind the woodshed. And they did this without almost any star power at WR, so it should be fun to see what the return of John Ross and the upcoming recruiting class will have next season. If UW wins less than 10 games next year i will be disappointed.

Huh?

Down the stretch UW lost at home to Utah, and absolutely gagged on themselves against a terrible ASU team. Then your vaunted defense gave up 31 points to Southern Miss.

Might want to take a step back from the 10 win train for a minute.

drrew

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":3mit0t8c said:
Huh?

Down the stretch UW lost at home to Utah, and absolutely gagged on themselves against a terrible ASU team. Then your vaunted defense gave up 31 points to Southern Miss.

Might want to take a step back from the 10 win train for a minute.

How dare a 4-4 team lose at home to the 12th ranked team in the country, they must be horrible.

Giving up 31 points in a bowl game to a team averaging 500+ yards and 40+ points a game? Losers.

Assuming no catastrophic injuries or really unexpected transfers, I think UW is battling for a Rose Bowl bid over the next couple seasons.

CPHawk

Reaction score
SC thought they had Pendergast all but done, but now it sounds like UO and SC are bidding for him. If UO loses out on him, I'd expect either Wilcox or Brady Hoke to get the job. Most UO fans don't want Wilcox to be honest, but anything is better than Pellum.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
CPHawk":2khs7yo7 said:
SC thought they had Pendergast all but done, but now it sounds like UO and SC are bidding for him. If UO loses out on him, I'd expect either Wilcox or Brady Hoke to get the job. Most UO fans don't want Wilcox to be honest, but anything is better than Pellum.

My only problem with Wilcox is that it feels to easy and status quo. I'm hoping for Clancy and intrigued by hoke. If its Wilcox ill be slightly dissapointed but hoping for the best. But like you said, it would still be a large upgrade from pellum..

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1c3n5o4l said:
Hasselbeck":1c3n5o4l said:
JSeahawks":1c3n5o4l said:
My opinion is that both Stanford and Oregon will be in the playoff conversation.

Shocking. ;)

Don't you belong in the underachieving PAC 12 south thread?

At least we trailed for the entire time in our bowl game.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
CPHawk":3opd3q7r said:

http://reignoftroy.com/2016/01/06/clanc ... ordinator/

I guess its close to done per reports. But we'll see. Helton desperately needs Clancy since Ed O shot him down already.