CBS ranks the best OTs in 2016 draft

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Spriggs might be an interesting get for us. He is a former TE and very athletic LT who "blocks well on the move" The write up that I found had a "Con" though because he is, "used to playing with splits and needs to be in a zone blocking system"

It would certainly upgrade our offense in a big way if we could go up and get Laremy Tunsil though. It the Titans pick defense instead he might be worth trading up to get.

McGruff

Reaction score
Athletically everyone in the top 7 except Conklin is a great fit for us. I love stanley and Decker as plug and play rookie starters. I need to do more work on Coleman, Ifedi and Spriggs.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Top 7 have seemed to separate themselves at this early stage. The early day 3 prospects are all over the map. I agree that Conklin probably won't have the athletic chops to get Seattle to bite in R1. Just don't see him as comparing favorably with the guys we have selected. I like Conklin. His attitude and grit are very much appealing. Athletically though he's just not our prototype.

McGruff

Reaction score
A guy not on that list because they probably have him at guard is Spencer Drango from Baylor. Just got done watching the two videos that draftbreakdown has on him from 2014.

The criticism is that he's a better pass blocker than run blocker, and that his build may be more suited to guard. Both of those cirticisms may be true. I'll be interested to hear his arm length, as that will likely dictate his position.

That being said, here's what I observed . . .

- Good feet. He doesn't lose his balance pretty much ever and adjusts quickly.
- Gets his hands on his guy and sticks long enough to get in the way
- Very good at trapping inside. Seems to move really well.
- Plays within himself. You don't see him lunging or reaching and he rarely ends up on the ground.
- He is simply an elite pass blocker.
- Does not play strong or tough. Doesn't push defenders around or put them on the ground On run plays he simply gets in the way.
- That being said, he does show signs of drive and strength in short yardage situations. When Baylor needed a yard they ran behind Drango and he routinely opened holes and planted people. This tells me he has the ability but either the scheme doesn't ask him to drive block or he needs to grow in consistently playing aggressive.
He seems like a good fit for a ZBS scheme, and if he has the length, I could see him staying at LT. His body doesn't look like a LT, but his feet do.

McGruff

Reaction score
Another guy to keep an eye on is Stanford LT Kyle Murphy. Good length and has the body of a LT. Excellent pass protector and does good in one on one run blocking. Struggles a bit in space at the second level. Looks lost. He doesn't always finish his blocks, and really struggles with "chop" blocks.

The guy next to him, Josh Garnett, absolutely looks like a Tom Cable guard. Built like a brick, plays mean, tough and nasty. Absoutely puts people in the run. Really struggles in pass protection though. A LOT. But if you are looking for the quintessential run blocker, its Garnett.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
McGruff":1gdzxtpn said:
The guy next to him, Josh Garnett, absolutely looks like a Tom Cable guard. Built like a brick, plays mean, tough and nasty. Absoutely puts people in the run. Really struggles in pass protection though. A LOT. But if you are looking for the quintessential run blocker, its Garnett.

He sounds too much like a Cable guy! Why bring in what we already have?

kearly

Reaction score
Nice topic, HN.

German Ifedi seems like a Tom Cable pick. I personally feel indifferent about the player, but I know a Tom Cable type when I see one, I think he will be somewhere on Seattle's short list at #26.

Shon Coleman would be an exciting pick. He was a 5 star recruit coming out of HS and has the tools of a top 10 pick. A guy like him would never last til the late 1st without baggage, and in this case it is past history with cancer and some bad tape. But still, I watch Coleman and I see a guy that could be very, very good if coached up.

Jack Conklin is just a guy, IMO. I am really surprised to see him so high on the list.

McGruff

Reaction score
I got Conklin way down the list. Well, I will when I make a real one.

titan3131

Reaction score
kearly":ptrglsgu said:
Nice topic, HN.

German Ifedi seems like a Tom Cable pick. I personally feel indifferent about the player, but I know a Tom Cable type when I see one, I think he will be somewhere on Seattle's short list at #26.

Shon Coleman would be an exciting pick. He was a 5 star recruit coming out of HS and has the tools of a top 10 pick. A guy like him would never last til the late 1st without baggage, and in this case it is past history with cancer and some bad tape. But still, I watch Coleman and I see a guy that could be very, very good if coached up.

Jack Conklin is just a guy, IMO. I am really surprised to see him so high on the list.

The shon coleman story got to me. I really see the grit factor out of him and I think that he might be the guy for us.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
So, Brandon Shell showed well at the E-W practices and made Mike Mayock take notice?

There's some guys down this list that might be worth looking into more. Cole Toner, Joe Haeg, Willie Beavers.

Latest posts