OL Denver Kirkland, Arkansas

xgeoff

Reaction score
I've been doing some research on possible Offensive Linemen that we could take in the upcoming draft. Based on the scout's writeups, I was initially intrigued with Germain Ifedi from Texas A&M. Then I watched the tape and he looked like garbage. So I started watching some tape of other O-linemen to validate for myself what the scouts were saying.

One of the guys I was intrigued with was Denver Kirkland from Arkansas. He plays LT for them but is projected as a possible G in the NFL as well. I think we could use a guy with that versatility based on potential gaps in our OL due to free agency. I watched some highlights of Arkansas playing LSU and Ole Miss (they won both games) and I just love this guy.

He looks like a huge widebody guy. In watching those two games, against two of the best teams in the SEC (and, therefore, the country), I never saw him pushed back. He's always the guy doing the pushing. Yet, for an enormous guy (he is 6'5" 340lbs) he had quick feet and never got beat on the edge during pass protection. It was amazing! Great footwork in pass protection, powerful run blocking.

And perhaps one of the things I liked best about him was that he hustled. He always seemed to be hustling, despite his bulk. I watched tape of several guys currently ranked ahead of Kirkland and I don't see it. Some of those guys are clutching and grabbing or off balance or just whiffing on plays. Not this guy. Always seems to be in a powerful and advantageous position.

Here are the game highlights I watched. They are not specifically for Kirkland, so you have to watch some defensive plays as well, but it goes very fast. He plays Left Tackle for the Razorbacks, #55. He's huge, can't miss him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebd83-VwsQo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R9jnfMdMDA

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I'd check the 2014 vids on draftbreakdown. He played at RG last year. I think he looks much better in the interior. Has tremendous drive and tenacity from the inside.

You may have to look for TE/RB vids for arkansas players from 2014 to find his footage. I linked like 6 videos for Kirkland on SDB a couple days ago.

kearly

Reaction score
I think he will be a guard for sure, and with time a good one. Wide body and nasty but a little bit of a plodder. He reminds me of Rob Sims.

Not sure if he fits the athletic model our team seeks though. The last several drafts, the Seahawks have drafted OL almost purely by Sparq rating.

McGruff

Reaction score
kearly":3b8gb40f said:
I think he will be a guard for sure, and with time a good one. Wide body and nasty but a little bit of a plodder. He reminds me of Rob Sims.

Not sure if he fits the athletic model our team seeks though. The last several drafts, the Seahawks have drafted OL almost purely by Sparq rating.

I agree on the athletic profile. Alvin Bailey is the only fat guy on our line, and he plays like a smaller guy. I guess Lewis is a little rotund. But in general guys like Okung, Sweezy, Britt, Gilliams, and Sokoli and noticeable for much they don't look like 300 pound men.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":1e707wpb said:

Do you see it as possible that now that Seattle has a QB who is clearly elite as a pocket passer -- that the 'movement' prototype interior OL that feature best in a ZBS run game almost exclusively may be ill fitting? That we may end up changing the menu so to speak and start looking at interior types that are stronger/more able to absorb pass rush.

I'm curious if Wilson's development and ascension to a top tier pocket passing talent wouldn't merit a total retool of the desired prototypes immediately up front. Up to now, they've opted almost exclusively for athletic movers good at zone run blocking but ill suited to absorbing pass rush. Understandable since Lynch was the heart and focus of the offense.

Wilson is now undeniably the focus of this offense. Maybe it's time to turn the paradigm on it's head and acquire better pass protectors and try to turn them into passable run blockers? Instead of the other way around.

Obviously you don't bet against a streak. And Seattle has been very formulaic up to this point when it comes to the OL prototype they covet. It's become one of the easier position groups to project for us.

cheese22

Reaction score
At some point, especially after the Carolina game, you would think it is obvious that we get pushed around too much. I'd really like to see them add some size to the interior. The video of Kirkland is very impressive. I'd be pretty excited if we were able to get him.

cheese22

Reaction score
After watching a few videos a couple things stand out. First, he looks massive and not in a James Carpenter way. Second, he is pretty light on his feet. He may not be fast or test very well, but he moves well in a small area. Third, I don't know much about online technique, but he does not get pushed backward and rarely gets in bad position. Maybe someone with better knowledge could break him down better. I'm developing a man crush.

OP
OP
xgeoff

xgeoff

Reaction score
cheese22":2twuj8qo said:
After watching a few videos a couple things stand out. First, he looks massive and not in a James Carpenter way. Second, he is pretty light on his feet. He may not be fast or test very well, but he moves well in a small area. Third, I don't know much about online technique, but he does not get pushed backward and rarely gets in bad position. Maybe someone with better knowledge could break him down better. I'm developing a man crush.

Yep, exactly

firebee

Reaction score
I think this kid would make a great LG for us. He shows great short area quickness and agility for his size and he's super strong at the point of attack. I didn't see him get into the 2nd level too much, but he definitely looks like the guy we hoped Carp would be. Only real downfall I see with him is he has a propensity to grab, which was probably more noticeable to me because he was playing outside, instead of inside. He'll get called on that in the NFL, especially if he's playing tackle. Looks like a great guard prospect though. Question is... where's he gonna land in the draft?

bighawk

Reaction score
We need girth on the inside and we were dominant when we had Carpenter at left guard. I bet they regret letting him go because he was powerful and nasty. My dream draft would be to take Shon Coleman and Denver Kirkland and add them to the o-line. Forget all this athletic lineman crap we need powerful guys who can move the pile and these guys fit the bill perfectly. My 2016 o-line would be Coleman, Kirkland, Lewis, Sweezy,, Gilliam. Athletic and powerful.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Well, Denver is a cool city and Kirkland is ok I guess so he has that going for him.