Good couple days for husky recruiting

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1q1h88fw said:
And of course, 12th class in a row that will never beat oregon.

:D

I don't mind if Oregon fans talk crap, they have earned it. But that said, I've long viewed prospect rankings as being the high school version of draft grades. UW has had middle of the pack recruiting scores for the conference, but nobody has put more quality players in the NFL out of the Pac-12 than Washington has the past few years. Just like the NFL, it's not about how you acquire players on paper, it's about how you develop them.

It's taken a while, but UW has developed a very good football team. I think this is the year UW ends the drought against Oregon. When I look at the two rosters, UW is loaded with accomplished talent just about everywhere, and when I look at Oregon I see a good team with holes that Vernon Adams covered for last season.

drrew

Reaction score
Chris Petersen is proving that he can recruit at this level, which was a serious concern moving to the Pac12.

I honestly think Sean McGrew is going to be a star. He's tiny, but his tape is fantastic and with just a little bit more weight on him, he'll be an incredible 3rd down back.

kearly

Reaction score
drrew":wxvfkxsy said:
Chris Petersen is proving that he can recruit at this level, which was a serious concern moving to the Pac12.

I honestly think Sean McGrew is going to be a star. He's tiny, but his tape is fantastic and with just a little bit more weight on him, he'll be an incredible 3rd down back.

I agree about McGrew. I think he could be poor man's version of Christian McAffrey or Reggie Bush. I hope they get him some looks at WR to get him extra touches.

kearly

Reaction score
bigtrain21":uc3mi0bb said:
In before JSeahawks is a jerk.

Edit: Too late.

I know you are just having fun with him, but it should be said: J is always pure class.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":2gm7cqet said:
JSeahawks":2gm7cqet said:

It's taken a while, but UW has developed a very good football team. I think this is the year UW ends the drought against Oregon. When I look at the two rosters, UW is loaded with accomplished talent just about everywhere, and when I look at Oregon I see a good team with holes that Vernon Adams covered for last season.

In all honesty, kidding aside, I think next season in Eugene the ducks win again. (I honestly think theyre going to be playoff contenders). The following year I'm Seattle is where I can see the streak ending. No doubt the gap is narrowing, which I think is a good thing (as long as its uw improving and not uo falling back)

kearly

Reaction score
While this is looking like a solid recruiting class for UW, the big priority this offseason should have been getting help at WR, and Petersen even said as much. Currently they only have one 3-star WR, a guy who ranks 198th among WRs nationally, and a 3-star TE out of Salem. UW is probably going to need more than that to ensure that Browning has weapons for the next 2-3 years.

Hopefully this means that Petersen is aiming high and trying to swing some high profile WRs at the last second.

JSeahawks":2yl3l4zd said:
kearly":2yl3l4zd said:
JSeahawks":2yl3l4zd said:

In all honesty, kidding aside, I think next season in Eugene the ducks win again. The following year I'm Seattle is where I can see the streak ending. No doubt the gap is narrowing, which I think is a good thing (as long as its uw improving and not uo falling back)

I don't see homefield mattering much in either of the next two matchups. Both teams seemed more comfortable on the road than at home last season.

Last year's UW/Oregon game was the epitome of how much the Ducks leaned on Vernon Adams. Stuffed and beaten into 3rd and longs repeatedly, only for Adams to make spectacular individual plays to overcome 3rd and long over and over. I don't think Prukop will be a total bust, but I don't think he can be the same kind of clutch player Adams was, in fact Prukop's game logs the past couple seasons suggest the opposite.

I think next year's Oregon team is probably an 8 win team. They will boat race bad teams and get curb stomped by good ones. And UW will be a good one.

Granted, I'm talking as if UW and Oregon were playing tomorrow. There's a lot that could happen between now and then to change things.

This is the first time I've actually picked UW over Oregon in over a decade. Last year I said Oregon would win if Adams played, even though UW was at home and favored.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
UW right now is like the 2011 Hawks: good defense but absolute dreck on offense.

Hawks46

Reaction score
The one thing that really impressed me about UW last year was looking at the defense.

They lost a ton of guys to the NFL and graduation, and many people thought they'd take a step back on defense until their younger players could develop. It's a pretty young defense. then they come out and do what they did, and now you wonder what the ceiling is for that defense, especially if the offense can sustain some drives this year and stay on the field longer.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
CP knows what he needs to win and it's been happening.I have no doubt he will get the OFF some weapons,some may be JC transfers ect but they get people.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
IndyHawk":afk318w2 said:
CP knows what he needs to win and it's been happening.I have no doubt he will get the OFF some weapons,some may be JC transfers ect but they get people.
My guess is they are banking on John Ross III being back at 100% to give Browning the deep threat this offense needs.

jkitsune

Reaction score
I'm really glad JSea finally started a recruiting thread, because I've been wondering if he had any hints on Boss Tagaloa, Devin Asiasi, or any other UO/UW targets. Was surprised that Kongbo wiped the entire PNW off his radar in the last few days.

Petersen hasn't been able to reel in the top-flight WR we'd like to have, but Jordan Chin isn't nothing. Hopefully Petersen's ability to develop players continues to shine through, because receiving targets are probably the only 'weak' spot on the roster right this moment.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Huskies recruited a 3 star, 6-2, 170 pound WR with possible 4.4 speed in Jordan Chin.

I dont have much for comparables but he's fluid with great hands and can high point a deep throw. Reminded me a lot of what I saw from Paul Richardson. If the kid can add 15-25 pounds the next 2-3 years and possibly improve his overall speed and quickness... He could become a dominant force down the road.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
jkitsune":tqi5wwwo said:
I'm really glad JSea finally started a recruiting thread, because I've been wondering if he had any hints on Boss Tagaloa, Devin Asiasi, or any other UO/UW targets. Was surprised that Kongbo wiped the entire PNW off his radar in the last few days.

Petersen hasn't been able to reel in the top-flight WR we'd like to have, but Jordan Chin isn't nothing. Hopefully Petersen's ability to develop players continues to shine through, because receiving targets are probably the only 'weak' spot on the roster right this moment.

I dont really have much insight into Tagaloa or Asiasi cuz the Ducks arent pursuiing them. Lars and Ruth, on the Husky site seem to think they're going to UW, but they seem to think everybody is going to UW. Personally i think they stay in the LA area, but we'll see.

UO is pretty much done with their class. They have 5 scholarships remaining but I think they're going to save most of those for next years class because they only lose 13 seniors next year so it will be a pretty small class. They still might add a couple d'linemen (because of the switch from a 3-4 to a 4-3 with our new d coordinator we need to build up numbers on the d'line). I'm pretty content with the Ducks recruiting class, although many are frustrated with how its finishing up. Scott Frost taking our linebacker coach Eric Chinander with him to UCF really slowed a lot of the Ducks recruiting momentum as he was the young, ace recruiter who was the primary for most of our closing prospects.

Next years recruiting battles should be fun. More quality players in the states of Oregon and Washington in the 2017 class then i've ever seen from this region. It will be really important for both schools to keep their in state kids home.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
A couple of interesting maps if you're interested in recruiting. The first is where all of the 4 star and 5 star recruits from '14, and '15 were located. The 2nd shows the last 8 years of first round NFL picks and where they played high school football. Really shows the disadvantage that schools in the northwest have in recruiting, and really the west coast as a whole. (I'm sure we all already knew this, but it really illustrates it)

http://oregon.247sports.com/Board/45/Co ... m-43167290

kearly

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":ah7yks8v said:
UW right now is like the 2011 Hawks: good defense but absolute dreck on offense.

Well, they did average 38.3 points per game in the second half of the season after Browning returned from injury.

I agree with the 2011 analogy though. WSU fits the analogy as well. Both UW and WSU entered the year with very low expectations and finished the season on a meteoric rise.

Tical21

Reaction score
A little disheartening that we whiffed on all the receivers we desperately needed. With an up-and-coming young QB, a spread style offense, and a fast-track to early playing time, you would think we would have been a great landing spot for a receiver or two. John Ross will help, and hopefully we get a breakout from a kid or two that are already on the roster.