Uh oh... Jared Goff is screwed

chris98251

Reaction score
Well you can make that Cross up early, another QB's career up in smoke, RIP Goff.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I like goffs skill set, but is be concerned about his leadership and ability to rise to the occasion when things get difficult.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I like Goff, and I think he would be a good fit for Hue Jackson if he goes to Cleveland. But an endorsement from Cosell is the kiss of death.

On the flipside, Winston is probably going to end up being pretty good.

ivotuk

Reaction score
For some reason Goff impresses me as a little bit "slight" to be an NFL QB. I'd worry about him getting hurt.

To me he's like Jadaveon Clowney, and his abilities are way overblown by an easily impressed, lazy media. I don't see any substance. Clowney got picked 1st overall because he blew up a college running back when no one blocked him. It's kind of like the OBJ catch, one play and he's anointed as the 2nd coming.

I think Paxton Lynch is the best QB in the draft and would take him #1 overall. He makes great decisions and delivers the ball on time, accurately. Start him out like they did Russell, and you're going to have success like the stealers did in 2004 and beyond.

Cracks me up that Cosell said Hackenberg was better than Winston. I preferred Mariota because of his maturity. I think Jameis is more talented, but I also believe he's going to have an inconsistent career.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I'm not going to get into their mechanics as players, but Winston rose to the occasion when it mattered and Goff seemed to crumble in those same situations. I think that matters.

But whatever, I'm not really a fan of how Greg "I love Ryan Lindley" Cosell looks at the game, especially from a scouting standpoint.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I 100% agree that Goff lacks the clutch gene. The reason I like him is because he is pretty consistent game to game, even against very good defenses, which tells me that he's one of those players who can only be beaten by himself.

Matt Ryan has also struggled in the clutch, but is still a pretty good QB regardless. I see Goff as being comparable to Ryan on multiple levels.

CPHawk

Reaction score
I'm not sure Goff can make it in a cold weather city. Just watch him trying to throw in Eugene during the 2013 game, kid fumbled like 7 times because of the rain. He was a mess, and I'd bet he has small hands.

Sterling Archer

Reaction score
Matt Ryan is a great comparison. I've been trying to wrap my head around who he reminds me of. And Ryan is a completely solid, albeit not overly inspiring QB.

I like Goff because I feel like he can make the NFL necessary throws, has good placement, and I think a lot of the skills he already possesses are ones you can continue to develop with success once he enters the league.

Remember too, although he is currently slight (which he is) he can put on a good 10-15lbs of muscle with an NFL offseason. I think we all remember the Brady combine pic where he was a string bean and looked completely unathletic (which he basically is, he's almost more awkward running than Manning.)

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
I think Goff ends up a heck of a QB. He has a good mixture of current talent with potential for growth that I'd want in an early pick. A great feel for the game, but a lack of experience to take advantage of it.

He'll probably have an early career struggle, but be a consistent improvement player at the next level where he's surprising everyone with how good he's playing. Not the same player, but sort of an Andy Dalton type career.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Cosell says these things because eventually he will be right. The pundit way, point at your genius moments and dismiss the rest with how hard it is to prognosticate this game.

But I like the Convo.

I really like Goff. He is going to need a guy like Hue. He is impatient and prone to try doing too much, Hue will call enough screens to keep his slighter frame upright. But in an NFL where guys don't get much time to absorb the game if they are rookies, Hue has the type of offense that eases the transition to the NFL. A creative screen game that doesn't rely on power running to open deep passing.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I'd say he's screwed more by the fact he's probably headed to Cleveland. I love Hue Jackson, but its still Cleveland

purpleneer

Reaction score
ivotuk":1k9hx2mm said:
To me he's like Jadaveon Clowney, and his abilities are way overblown by an easily impressed, lazy media. I don't see any substance. Clowney got picked 1st overall because he blew up a college running back when no one blocked him. It's kind of like the OBJ catch, one play and he's anointed as the 2nd coming.
Clowney had and has his issues (health and drive), but this take is way off base. That play didn't exactly come out of nowhere and he had long been touted as a probable #1 pick.
I agree about the overreaction to OBJ's catch. Grimes made a very similar catch on an interception a couple weeks earlier and it was pretty well glossed over by the end of that day.