Senior Bowl weigh in results

McGruff

Reaction score
Initial observations.

Maurice Canada was just taken off the Seahawks draft board. Short arms.

DeAndre Hall and Kevin Hogan warrant film review by Seahawks draftniks.

McGruff

Reaction score
Josh Garnett, Joe Haeg and Jason Spriggs all have the length to play OL for Seattle.

Same goes for Vadal Alexander, John The us and Graham Glasgow.

OP
OP
Attyla the Hawk

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Garnett has surprising arm length. If I recall, that's about where Britt's were.

Additionally, Glasgow and McGovern have acceptable interior length and wingspan. From purely a measurables aspect there are a lot of candidates possessing the kinds of dimensions we covet.

McGruff

Reaction score
A guy to watch is OT Joe Haeg, who has spent the last two season's protecting Carson Wentz's blindside. before that he started 2 seasons at RT. Very versatile.

Haeg checked in at 6'6"307 punds with 33+ inch arm length. He's got really great feet and is very agile. He's oviously NOT a natural 300 pound man. He doesn't have a lot of power, but is an excellent pass protector.

McGruff

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1ht5c9cc said:
Garnett has surprising arm length. If I recall, that's about where Britt's were.

Additionally, Glasgow and McGovern have acceptable interior length and wingspan. From purely a measurables aspect there are a lot of candidates possessing the kinds of dimensions we covet.

I keep looking at Garnett, and while I don't really like him, he screams Tom Cable. Tough, nasty, bullish and strong and gets killed in pass protection.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
McGruff":2dfbj9c7 said:
Josh Garnett, Joe Haeg and Jason Spriggs all have the length to play OL for Seattle.

Same goes for Vadal Alexander, John The us and Graham Glasgow.
Hall oozes Seahawky, as long as his speed is good enough. He was far from a good player, but was a bit miscast. This is one of those late round/UDFA types I expect from the Hawks.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Of the centers, Glascow seems like a Seahawk profile guy, but Austin is a fun to watch center I think could start day one in a zone scheme.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1jo8pdsv said:
Of the centers, Glascow seems like a Seahawk profile guy, but Austin is a fun to watch center I think could start day one in a zone scheme.

Are you referring to Austin Blythe from Iowa?

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Seanhawk":21v3c6w5 said:
Scottemojo":21v3c6w5 said:

Are you referring to Austin Blythe from Iowa?
yes. I don't think he fits the Hawks profile, but I really liked the way he leveraged and moved some of the big ol fat DTs around.

McGruff

Reaction score
I watched a little bit of the one-on-one blocking drills yesterday and two players stood out to me.

First, Graham Glasgow dominate all but one player. Even against supposedly elite prospects like Vernon Butler, Galsgow just walled them off enitrely. Its really hard for offensive linemen to win these one on one battles. Glasgow made it look easy.

Second, the only guy I saw get by Glasgow . . . easily and multiple times . . . was Sheldon Rankins. Rankins made everyone look silly in these drills.

OP
OP
Attyla the Hawk

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
McGruff":2j6vxs4b said:
I watched a little bit of the one-on-one blocking drills yesterday and two players stood out to me.

First, Graham Glasgow dominate all but one player. Even against supposedly elite prospects like Vernon Butler, Galsgow just walled them off enitrely. Its really hard for offensive linemen to win these one on one battles. Glasgow made it look easy.

Second, the only guy I saw get by Glasgow . . . easily and multiple times . . . was Sheldon Rankins. Rankins made everyone look silly in these drills.

One of those weird enigmas. Rankins looks awesome. I actually rewatched some old SB tape of Datone Jones who was a Senior Bowl darling a couple years back. And Rankins to me looks entirely in a different class than Jones. Where Jones would have some eye popping quickness to just get by totally unblocked -- Rankins is far more consistent.

Jones had a lot of difficulty if he didn't immediately win on the snap of the ball. Rankins -- while he's shown the ability to burst and win with quickness -- also demonstrates a strong ability to work free even if linemen get their hands on him.

The enigma part is that he really didn't demonstrate THIS kind of ability and consistency in the year. He showed flashes. I liked him very much at #26 for us before the Senior Bowl. Not that I felt he was a super pick at that spot. But that I didn't think he'd be there in R2 and I felt he was the better of the general consensus 2nd tier type DTs.

McGruff

Reaction score
Just watched Rankins against Florida State, and first of all #4 for Florida State is just about the most exciting football player I've seen since Reggie Bush.

But Rankins played a really good game. I only say two plays that were just bad. One he lost his footing and fell down. The other he was buried by a double team. Other than that he held his ground every snap. He plays with violence in both his initial punch and the way he kept hand fighting through. There are times when he doesn't always hustle down field the way I'd like to see, but he doesn't give up fighting blockers.

I don't recall him getting a sack, but counted at least 6 pressures and a couple of hits. Some of those pressures he was inches away and very disruptive. I saw a variety of moves against both one on ones and double teams. Plys with power. Able to swim and spin and split double teams with getoff and burst. I really liked what I saw.

McGruff

Reaction score
Just watched Rankins against Texas A&M and came away frustrated. Polar opposite. Bull rush that shows good pop on contact, and long arms to keep separation from the blocker, but no moves, no penetration, no splash plays. Just a guy.

One game he looks like an allstar, and the next he looks like a backup.

OP
OP
Attyla the Hawk

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
McGruff":2c8e2mrt said:
Just watched Rankins against Florida State, ... Plys with power. Able to swim and spin and split double teams with getoff and burst. I really liked what I saw.

There really seems like a lot of really attractive day 2 types in this draft. Rankins may go late 1. But you could add Ward and Hargrave to that list. Agreed that the game tape muddies the water some. I can't help but think Schneider dropped that R1 grade to Pauline as a smoke screen. JS is too shrewd to name names like that. And the next time we draft a guy he talks us specifically pre draft will be the first time we do it.

Pete, in the year end presser, basically threw down the gauntlet as far as toughness is concerned. He wants to improve the OL. He also wants to improve the DL -- pass rush in particular.

I would fully expect us to go OT in R1. Good talent depth and the fact that there is a decent sized hole in the draft lineup in terms of teams needing OTs ahead of us is kind of indicative that we should have talent to choose from. Probably more than one of 'our guys' will be available.

When he says improve DL pass rush. I think that means exclusively at DT. There isn't much improving to be done with Avril and Bennett on the ends. A pass rush guy in the interior or even two.

I'm thinking we're looking at the Ward/Hargrave/Day types. Day is pretty light. But Ward and Hargrave are not.

Additionally, I would not be shocked at all if we end up double dipping by the end of the fourth round in one or both position groups. Like last year, the OL group looks like it's talent heavy in the late third through mid 5th round.

I do think it unlikely we go with Spence at all. That's a redundancy on the line pure and simple. Clark and Bennett are approximate mirrors of one another. I don't think we're looking at anything but a late day 3 LEO project if we address it at all. I would expect a general unknown to be picked here. Onyemata seems like a Gwatchum type pick but more attractive physically. Tall, long, quick and you'd think he was more in the 265 range with his movement skills than the 303 he's packing.

Testing numbers aren't even in yet from the combine. So there's more to shake out. But I do think it's OT/DT, with a double dip in R3 and R4.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Noah SPence worries me. Didn't he get in trouble in college? In the one on ones he got in to it a little with an OL, like he lost his temper.

Looks like Rankins pulled out of the Senior bowl with a knee injury. Tough break. But the kind of situation JS is always in on.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":ptpei91c said:

Ugh, just mentioning Britt in reference to potential draft choices makes me ill. I still think Britt is a bust and needs to be replaced.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
ivotuk":1r69jtul said:
Noah SPence worries me. Didn't he get in trouble in college? In the one on ones he got in to it a little with an OL, like he lost his temper.

Looks like Rankins pulled out of the Senior bowl with a knee injury. Tough break. But the kind of situation JS is always in on.
There is this quote on Noah I found today too. I'm thinking he drops to round 2 at least.

Two players who have not done well in the team interviews are Eastern Kentucky's Noah Spence and Southern Utah's Miles Killebrew. Spence had off-the-field issues at Ohio State and Eastern Kentucky with a year long suspension, transfer, and arrest for public intoxication. Teams weren't impressed with how Spence answered their questions. They also said that Killebrew did not come off well in the interviews. Both players will need to get better in a hurry with the Combine and pre-draft visits just weeks away
Read more at http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl201 ... S2Fr4dB.99

bkit29

Reaction score
McGruff":27muqjje said:
A guy to watch is OT Joe Haeg, who has spent the last two season's protecting Carson Wentz's blindside. before that he started 2 seasons at RT. Very versatile.

Haeg checked in at 6'6"307 punds with 33+ inch arm length. He's got really great feet and is very agile. He's oviously NOT a natural 300 pound man. He doesn't have a lot of power, but is an excellent pass protector.

One tidbit on Haeg. He came to NDSU as a 240# walk on. Earned a scholarship, then eventually becoming an all American.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
McGruff":268fhwcb said:
Just watched Rankins against Texas A&M and came away frustrated. Polar opposite. Bull rush that shows good pop on contact, and long arms to keep separation from the blocker, but no moves, no penetration, no splash plays. Just a guy.

One game he looks like an allstar, and the next he looks like a backup.
Was he hurt, or was the A&M player who stoned him someone to keep an eye on?