Seven round Seahawks mock draft

McGruff

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":153rie8i said:

I like the draft but love the weigh-in thoughts. At certain positions I don't even start watching tape on guys until after official measurments come out, because the Seahawks are so keen on measurements. I got my hopes up on Maurice Canady, but he came in with really short arms.

kearly

Reaction score
Great mock. Feels like you just made a full court shot.

Coleman's draft stock has yet to be determined, but my gut feel is that he goes 1st round. Tom Cable's draft history shows that he prefers toolsy lineman with stuff to work on, and Coleman is the epitome of the raw talent prospect.

Coleman's tape is not pretty, but I really like him anyway. My biggest knock on him is effort, but he's one of those guys that can dominate with low effort at times. The best lineman are the ones who can dominate with low effort but give high effort anyway. If the Seahawks can motivate Coleman to give better effort and clean up some of his technique, he could be a quality left tackle in the NFL. Though not as gifted as a young Okung, he reminds me of Okung for his combination of low effort and not needing much effort. It's early but Coleman is the tackle pick I am rooting for.

I think Irvin is gone almost for sure. I've heard chatter that Irvin is going to get $8 million APY, and even though Bruce might be worth that money, I can't see Seattle going that high. And if Irvin does leave, then adding a quality starting LB is going to be a legit need and an early rounds priority.

But Irvin isn't just a LB, he's a pass rusher too. He's quietly had 12 sacks over the past two seasons. So it's all the more reason to look at pass rusher early, and Pete even hinted that Seattle would look at pass rush early in the draft.

Though officially listed as a DE, Spence has a thin frame and does a lot of stand up rushing as if he were a 3-4 OLB. I'm not sure how his combine numbers will test, but in terms of role I think he could fit into the Bruce Irvin role very nicely. Though like Irvin, Seattle would probably try Spence as a pure edge rusher first before trying to move him to LB at a later time.

I know Spence has the drug history and concerns, but if he stays sober throughout the draft buildup I think he could land in the back of round 1. Would be really hard to complain about this pick at the end of round 2 if it happened.

Like you, I think Seattle will be biased against drafting a Center early. I think they are still hopeful about the Sokoli experiment working, so a short term FA move ala Stefen Wisniewski makes a lot of sense.

That said, if they do target a center in the first three rounds, I think they will want someone with a lot of polish from a school known for good O-line play. Glasgow checks those boxes. Glasgow also moves very well to the 2nd level and on pull blocks, and that will definitely score points with Cable. His power blocking leaves something to be desired, but Cable's infatuation with Drew Nowak and his bias against Patrick Lewis illustrates that raw power isn't that big a deal at Center for Tom Cable.

It feels like you nailed this pick on the head... IF Seattle decides to draft a center this early.

I'm just fine with Seattle taking a CB early, but I don't think it will happen. I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle takes a LB or RB here. They could use depth in both those spots.

titan3131

Reaction score
I loved the spence idea, but the arm length that was sub 32 was a deal breaker for me. The hawks trend is only drafting 34" plus arm length. Clark, Gwachum, irvin even avril + clemons.

If fackrell could fall to our 2nd pick I would be giddy or a DT that falls.

Erebus

Reaction score
I agree with your theme about getting tougher in the trenches, but I don't see how we can neglect OLB for so long, especially by fortifying positions where we already have better depth (CB and WR). I expect an OLB to be drafted in the 3rd or 4th round (if Irvin walks).

Ozzy

Reaction score
Loved that mock. Coleman is the type of player the line lacked this year and Perkins is one of my favorite players in the draft for Seattle. Third down stats would undoubtedly improve with a healthy Graham and a dynamic rb out of the backfield. Good stuff Rob.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Shouldn't we be doing mocks for the Seahawks without a first round pick? I mean, come on, they aren't keeping that pick!

Kidding aside though, appreciated the read. Don't really know anything about any of the players so it was good to learn a bit.

Optimus25

Reaction score
kearly":2ihpfy0z said:

Coleman's draft stock has yet to be determined, but my gut feel is that he goes 1st round. Tom Cable's draft history shows that he prefers toolsy lineman with stuff to work on, and Coleman is the epitome of the raw talent prospect.

Coleman's tape is not pretty, but I really like him anyway. My biggest knock on him is effort, but he's one of those guys that can dominate with low effort at times. The best lineman are the ones who can dominate with low effort but give high effort anyway. If the Seahawks can motivate Coleman to give better effort and clean up some of his technique, he could be a quality left tackle in the NFL. Though not as gifted as a young Okung, he reminds me of Okung for his combination of low effort and not needing much effort. It's early but Coleman is the tackle pick I am rooting for.

I think Irvin is gone almost for sure. I've heard chatter that Irvin is going to get $8 million APY, and even though Bruce might be worth that money, I can't see Seattle going that high. And if Irvin does leave, then adding a quality starting LB is going to be a legit need and an early rounds priority.

But Irvin isn't just a LB, he's a pass rusher too. He's quietly had 12 sacks over the past two seasons. So it's all the more reason to look at pass rusher early, and Pete even hinted that Seattle would look at pass rush early in the draft.

Though officially listed as a DE, Spence has a thin frame and does a lot of stand up rushing as if he were a 3-4 OLB. I'm not sure how his combine numbers will test, but in terms of role I think he could fit into the Bruce Irvin role very nicely. Though like Irvin, Seattle would probably try Spence as a pure edge rusher first before trying to move him to LB at a later time.

I know Spence has the drug history and concerns, but if he stays sober throughout the draft buildup I think he could land in the back of round 1. Would be really hard to complain about this pick at the end of round 2 if it happened.

Like you, I think Seattle will be biased against drafting a Center early. I think they are still hopeful about the Sokoli experiment working, so a short term FA move ala Stefen Wisniewski makes a lot of sense.

That said, if they do target a center in the first three rounds, I think they will want someone with a lot of polish from a school known for good O-line play. Glasgow checks those boxes. Glasgow also moves very well to the 2nd level and on pull blocks, and that will definitely score points with Cable. His power blocking leaves something to be desired, but Cable's infatuation with Drew Nowak and his bias against Patrick Lewis illustrates that raw power isn't that big a deal at Center for Tom Cable.

It feels like you nailed this pick on the head... IF Seattle decides to draft a center this early.

I'm just fine with Seattle taking a CB early, but I don't think it will happen. I wouldn't be surprised if Seattle takes a LB or RB here. They could use depth in both those spots.

Sorry i don't know how to only quote small portions...

But in regards to the RB conversation, I feel like the only one around here drooling over the FA class this year. None are really premier guys except forte, but otherwise you got Starks, who i would love in our offense, Pierre Thomas, Lamar Miller, even ivory kind of seemed to revive this season, even though he kind of sputtered late.

I just think they'll find a way to bring in this kind of veteran/ young hungry combo with rawls. The numbers would be interesting all around, but i just can't shake the feeling that this class of backs is too appealing to JS. Honestly based on Michael, turbin, etc, I'll pass on their RB evaluation process. Let's bite the bullet in free agency on a proven commodity, even if it costs us lane and causes us to fully rely on these young, unproven corners.

goseahawks2012

Reaction score
Optimus25":2r3zhaqe said:
kearly":2r3zhaqe said:

But in regards to the RB conversation, I feel like the only one around here drooling over the FA class this year. None are really premier guys except forte, but otherwise you got Starks, who i would love in our offense, Pierre Thomas, Lamar Miller, even ivory kind of seemed to revive this season, even though he kind of sputtered late.

I just think they'll find a way to bring in this kind of veteran/ young hungry combo with rawls. The numbers would be interesting all around, but i just can't shake the feeling that this class of backs is too appealing to JS. Honestly based on Michael, turbin, etc, I'll pass on their RB evaluation process. Let's bite the bullet in free agency on a proven commodity, even if it costs us lane and causes us to fully rely on these young, unproven corners.

I'm sorry but did you not just the Seahawks defense struggle with an unproven cb in this system. There is no way the seahawks would spend money on a number 2 running back over a starting corner like lane. They also didn't whiff on michael turbin, they drafted in the fourth round to be a third down back which he excelled at. Running backs are easy to come by so there is no point in wasting money on them

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Erebus":16fdqc9m said:
I agree with your theme about getting tougher in the trenches, but I don't see how we can neglect OLB for so long, especially by fortifying positions where we already have better depth (CB and WR). I expect an OLB to be drafted in the 3rd or 4th round (if Irvin walks).

As noted in the piece, I suspect they might concede at that position this year in order to get tougher elsewhere. They seem quite happy to have an athlete at the SAM and in this mock would allow Feeney to battle with KPL, Pinkins and Morgan for the start.

It's a position they've never really put too much stock into. Irvin ended up there when it was decided he wasn't the ideal LEO after all. They benched Irvin for Malcolm Smith in 2013. Then Smith played himself out of the team so Irvin returned. I can see an open competition and them just rolling with whoever wins in camp.

Alexander

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, Rob. Great work, as usual!

If the Hawks let Okung and Irvin walk, I think signing Alex Mack would pair very well with this draft. You move Gilliam over to LT, put Coleman at RT, put Glasgow at LG (where he can be groomed for the center position by Mack), and then either keep Sweezy at RG or (if you let him walk to save money) put Glowinski there. Then you've still got Britt, Bailey (he's an RFA but I assume they bring him back for relatively cheap), and Sokoli as backups, plus whatever cheap veterans you've signed and developmental prospects you've brought in.

It would be a bit of a gamble with so many new faces, but the line would feature a lot of talent, and it would arguably be strongest next year where it was weakest this year (the interior). You'd be much better equipped to handle the Aaron Donalds and Kawaan Shorts of the league. Plus I feel like Russ really benefits from a stable, veteran presence at center. It's also a line you could keep together for a few years, so there's a chance for stability and continuity.

Of course, Alex Mack won't come cheap, but the team can probably afford to sign one high-priced free agent (either their own or someone else's) or a couple of moderately priced free agents. In this scenario you're not re-signing Okung or Irvin, and possibly not Sweezy either. Basically, I think the Hawks can probably afford to sign or re-sign one guy on the O-line, and probably NEED to if they're going to come close to fixing the problem. For me, Alex Mack is the most impactful signing you can make.

My only reservation is that Mack didn't perform up to his usual standard this year, after returning from his injury the prior year. I don't whether that represents a permanent drop-off or just him getting back into shape, but it's something to keep an eye on.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Alexander":3vogxezq said:
Thanks for sharing, Rob. Great work, as usual!

If the Hawks let Okung and Irvin walk, I think signing Alex Mack would pair very well with this draft. You move Gilliam over to LT, put Coleman at RT, put Glasgow at LG (where he can be groomed for the center position by Mack), and then either keep Sweezy at RG or (if you let him walk to save money) put Glowinski there. Then you've still got Britt, Bailey (he's an RFA but I assume they bring him back for relatively cheap), and Sokoli as backups, plus whatever cheap veterans you've signed and developmental prospects you've brought in.

It would be a bit of a gamble with so many new faces, but the line would feature a lot of talent, and it would arguably be strongest next year where it was weakest this year (the interior). You'd be much better equipped to handle the Aaron Donalds and Kawaan Shorts of the league. Plus I feel like Russ really benefits from a stable, veteran presence at center. It's also a line you could keep together for a few years, so there's a chance for stability and continuity.

Of course, Alex Mack won't come cheap, but the team can probably afford to sign one high-priced free agent (either their own or someone else's) or a couple of moderately priced free agents. In this scenario you're not re-signing Okung or Irvin, and possibly not Sweezy either. Basically, I think the Hawks can probably afford to sign or re-sign one guy on the O-line, and probably NEED to if they're going to come close to fixing the problem. For me, Alex Mack is the most impactful signing you can make.

My only reservation is that Mack didn't perform up to his usual standard this year, after returning from his injury the prior year. I don't whether that represents a permanent drop-off or just him getting back into shape, but it's something to keep an eye on.

This would be amazing. Not just for seeing what Russ could do behind a real OL but to see what Rawls could do behind them toom

Optimus25

Reaction score
goseahawks2012":wrk4p75l said:
Optimus25":wrk4p75l said:
kearly":wrk4p75l said:

I'm sorry but did you not just the Seahawks defense struggle with an unproven cb in this system. There is no way the seahawks would spend money on a number 2 running back over a starting corner like lane. They also didn't whiff on michael turbin, they drafted in the fourth round to be a third down back which he excelled at. Running backs are easy to come by so there is no point in wasting money on them

As another thread points out, several mocks have us taking Elliott. A one two combination of backs ensures quality depth and fresh legs. At times James Starks was the motor behind green bay's entire offense this season. Running backs are not easy to come by. Turbin was a great pick for what exactly?. He was used incredibly sparingly. Anything he ever busted got called back by penalty. I think it's incredibly short sighted to say running backs are so easy to acquire. Sankey, Richardson, pead, ellington, the list of under whelming but hyped backs is endless. But please extrapolate on turbins effectiveness, because he was so 'effective' he was ran out of town by a ? Thirty three? Year old Jackson who was almost certainly targeted in a one year bandage scheme because now he's molasses out there. Turbin never went more than 350 in a season, and pop quiz:. How many touchdowns has turbin rushed for in his career?

Answer:. 1. In four seasons, Robert turbin found the end zone once. But yeah, JS knocked that one out of the park.

We've had the number one scoring defense four years running. Our defense has its core together and will remain our strength. But our offense single handedly lost four games this year because they couldn't achieve first downs, as in a single first down, when we were holding late leads and needed to sustain drives. We mustered zero points thru three quarters at Minnesota and zero thru two quarters at Carolina. If rawls goes down for any reason it is the death knell to our offense, which can't happen in today's nfl. Plus, Shead, Simon, or even burley are good to have competing for the job and are miles ahead of Williams anyways.

Nothing masks a weak offensive line like Russell Wilson. Nothing pairs better with Wilson than two running backs who are lethal weapons.