Ducks hire Hoke - former Michigan head coach - to be new DC

kearly

Reaction score
I'm surprised this wasn't posted yet.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... oordinator

Brady Hoke was the predecessor to Jim Harbaugh at Michigan. He won the Big 10 coach of the year award in 2011. Hoke has a lot of experience, he began coaching in 1981.

The Michigan defense was very good during his tenure, ranking 6th, 20th, 67th, and 27th in points allowed per game during his four seasons. Oddly, despite a huge amount of coaching experience, Hoke has never been a defensive coordinator before - outside of his initial stint as a high school coach from 1981-1982. So while his defenses at Michigan played very well, it's hard to know how much of that was on him or how much of it would translate to him as first time DC.

I like these kind of hires and if there were a moneyball way to hire good assistants, it would be to hire assistants with previous head coaching experience. Look at what Wade Phillips has done for the defenses he's worked with, most recently in Denver. Or Ken Whisenhunt with the Chargers. Even bums like Josh McDaniels and Lane Kiffin have been impressive when returning to an assistant role after having HC jobs. I think there is something about having a taste of a HC job and knowing that you could earn another head coaching job some day if you impress as an assistant again that really motivates these guys to be the best.

This looks like a rock solid hire on the surface, and anybody's better than Pellum. Hoke's head coaching experience could also help the Ducks during recruiting season as well.

And for those who were wondering, Justin Wilcox finally got hired yesterday. By the Wisconsin Badgers as DC. Not a bad draw for Wilcox, considering how long he sat out there.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Yea, this was already talked about in the PAC 12 north thread.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=121064

I like the hire, he's switching from the 3-4 to the 4-3 and historically plays a pretty aggressive defense which the ducks have been lacking. Also, as mentioned he has the reputation as a really good recruiter.

Ducks also hired David yost from wsu to be the qb coach and passing game coordinator. (Wr coach matt lubick was promoted to oc to replace scott frost) Will be interesting to see if they incorporate some of mike leach's air raid philosophies into the passing game.