Some Prospects I'd Love to see in a Seahawk Uni.

firebee

Reaction score
Well..... Hard to say where players will land in a draft, but these are a few of the guys I'd love to see in a Seahawks uniform. I've watched a lot of film on a lot of players, and these guys just stick out at me. I believe we'll have a shot at these guys, though nobody is probably going to land all of them. Regardless, I'd say these are guys you should keep your eyes on when they get into the NFL. I think they're going to make their presence felt.

Jason Spriggs - OT out of Indiana - Could use a little better hand placement and develop a little more upper body strength, but what really sticks out at me with this kid is his footwork and agility, which is something I feel you have to seriously pay attention to when you're looking at players that are capable of playing left tackle. He has great footwork and agility. His slide is fluid, he breaks down on blocks in the open field with ease when he gets to the second level. He just needs some work on hand placement and not over-extending or reaching for his blocks.

Josh Perry - LB out of Ohio State - Played mostly ILB for Ohio State, but I think he'd be a monster at OLB for us. He closes on the ball carrier extremely well, shows great fundamental tackling and what impresses me most about him is his ability to work through the trash and shed blocks. His balance and his use of hands to work through the trash is amazing. If Irvin isn't returning, I think this kid should be a priority for us and I think he'd be an amazing fit with B-Wag and Wright. Not to mention, his versatility and ability to play inside or outside is invaluable.

Tyler Higbee - TE out of Western Kentucky - Prototype size, super natural receiver and an amazing blocker. This kid is just a great football player and, IMO, he's the best TE in the draft. Physically, he's not quite as explosive as Varrett is off the LOS, but his routes are amazing, his hands are amazing, his ability to position himself for the catch is uncanny, he shows great agility and balance to make a move after the catch and get YAC. Most importantly, he's really good at blocking. Great form, knows where the ball carrier or QB, seals off the defender and looks fluid making blocks downfield. His play reminds me a lot of Jason Witten. Deceptive physical ability that doesn't really jump out at you, but a real heady football player that's reliable and will consistently make plays and execute. The combination of Higbee and Willson would make Graham and his 9 million dollar salary expendable.

Devon Cajuste - WR out of Stanford - SMDH... This kid not having a 1000 yard season with multiple TDs is an indictment on how bad Hogan was this year. Time after time, I watched him pull away and get wide open over the top or down the seams while Hogan seemingly ignored him. To top it all off, his ability to close on the ball, adjust to the ball in the air and attack the ball when it was thrown his way just perplexes me. The size, hands, body control and physical ability is just incredible with this kid. I just don't get how he didn't put up bigger numbers than he did on the year when I watch him play. If his stats and production matched his ability, he'd easily be one of the top receivers in the draft. Not to mention, his blocking. He's, hands down, the best blocking receiver in this draft. I'd absolutely love to see this kid in a Seahawks uniform. He's the tall downfield possession go up and get it receiver we've been looking for... and he blocks well.

Rees Odhiambo - LT out of Boise St - Could use some work on his hand placement, footwork and other nuanced fundamental aspects, but I love the athletic and physical ability of this kid. He's not a horrible blocker or even a bad blocker, but he could be a dominant lineman in the NFL if he touches up his game and he'd be easier to coach up on the offensive line than, ohhh.. let's say a defensive lineman. I just love the upside and physical ability this kid has. This is a very moldable prospect that could make a huge impact on an offensive line if he takes to coaching and refines his game a little bit.

Keith Marshall - RB out of Georgia - Injury bug is an issue here, but if he can stay healthy... This is an ungodly steal of the draft if he slides into the later rounds. I don't even know what to say about this kid. He has it all. Physicality, agility, breakaway speed, great hands as a receiver out of the backfield. If this kid can stay healthy, he's going to make a name for himself in the NFL. Just watch the film on him. This kid would make for an amazing insurance policy on Rawls and could possibly push Rawls for the start. It doesn't take a genius to see what this kid is capable of when you watch film on him. Would not be surprised at all to see a team take a gamble on him in the earlier to mid rounds due to his potential when he's healthy. He's a gamebreaker.

Fade

Reaction score
Jason Spriggs is getting owned again & again in the Senior Bowl. I can only imagine what he will look like against NFL defensive ends. No Thanks.

EMTHawkfan

Reaction score
Fade":ijacxo0m said:
Jason Spriggs is getting owned again & again in the Senior Bowl. I can only imagine what he will look like against NFL defensive ends. No Thanks.

^^^ this ^^^

OP
OP
F

firebee

Reaction score
Fade":3luias7r said:

Needs to play with better leverage, which equates to better hand placement and more upper body strength, as I mentioned when talking about his weakness as an OT. I think an offensive tackle with good footwork and agility that needs to improve on upper body strength and hand placement will develop into a starter faster than an offensive tackle with poor footwork and agility, but good upper body strength and hand placement. He's getting beat physically right now, but I think he'd be fine after an offseason or two in an NFL strength and conditioning program. He doesn't get beat by speed, he gets beat by the bull rush. It's easier to improve strength at the point of attack than it is to teach footwork and agility. If I was looking at him as a guard, then I'd be less concerned about footwork and agility and more concerned about his strength at the point of attack and leverage.

penihawk

Reaction score
I saw him beat by Spence with speed as well as looking like he was on roller skates against Oakman. Big disappointment today.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Yup, Spriggs looked more like a project than a pick today. Prior to this Senior Bowl performance, I agreed with someone in another thread that Spriggs might be a good fit. I was wrong. Good to be wrong BEFORE the draft. Not that any of us make the picks, but we do have an annual draft contest.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":1x8hb4m5 said:
Yup, Spriggs looked more like a project than a pick today. Prior to this Senior Bowl performance, I agreed with someone in another thread that Spriggs might be a good fit. I was wrong. Good to be wrong BEFORE the draft. Not that any of us make the picks, but we do have an annual draft contest.

Pre combine hyperbole starting already. But here are some of the supposed numbers Spriggs has put up in training:

40: 4.82
Vertical: 37.5″
Bench: 225 Bench: 33 Reps

If Spriggs comes even close to those numbers, he's going to win the combine for the OL group. Those numbers would put him in the top 5 going back 6 drafts discussion.

He was already a fringe 1st round prospect heading in. Merits watching closely come combine time. Training numbers almost always suspicious.

OP
OP
F

firebee

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":ct7w0bhs said:
TeamoftheCentury":ct7w0bhs said:

Pre combine hyperbole starting already. But here are some of the supposed numbers Spriggs has put up in training:

If Spriggs comes even close to those numbers, he's going to win the combine for the OL group. Those numbers would put him in the top 5 going back 6 drafts discussion.

He was already a fringe 1st round prospect heading in. Merits watching closely come combine time. Training numbers almost always suspicious.
When I watched Spriggs... Leverage and leg drive was an issue for him at the Senior Bowl. All the strength, agility and quickness in the world is pointless if you don't know how to use it. eg... kind of stepping away from football and going to boxing because I'm more familiar with fighting. I've seen a lot of guys that could bench press 300-400 lbs and couldn't punch a bag half as hard as a guy that only benched 220 or so... Why??? The guy that could bench press 400 lbs didn't know how to plant, use leverage and create torque with his body... The guy that could only press 220 or so knew how to plant, use leverage and create torque, so that guy hit a lot harder.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
firebee":2p7hvoo8 said:
Attyla the Hawk":2p7hvoo8 said:
TeamoftheCentury":2p7hvoo8 said:

When I watched Spriggs... Leverage and leg drive was an issue for him at the Senior Bowl. All the strength, agility and quickness in the world is pointless if you don't know how to use it. eg... kind of stepping away from football and going to boxing because I'm more familiar with fighting. I've seen a lot of guys that could bench press 300-400 lbs and couldn't punch a bag half as hard as a guy that only benched 220 or so... Why??? The guy that could bench press 400 lbs didn't know how to plant, use leverage and create torque with his body... The guy that could only press 220 or so knew how to plant, use leverage and create torque, so that guy hit a lot harder.

Oh I don't disagree in any way. I think Spriggs looks inconsistently soft. His tape is not great. But I can't deny that Seattle loves to get high ceiling players.

Spriggs isn't an R3 kind of prospect. He's in the mix for 25-50 overall kind of selection. Not unlike Jake Fisher or Mitch Morse last year. I can see Seattle looking past the tape and seeing a guy who has 'movement skills'.

Spriggs does have that. But dang he looks weak at the point of attack.

Picking at 26 -- we're kind of picking through guys that are slow and strong or fast and weak. Some level of NFL conditioning is going to be necessary. I think the Hawks have put a real premium on speed/athleticism in the OT at the expense of strength.

Seattle likes unique athleticism. If those number are approximated at the Combine, I would be comfortable saying Spriggs is in the pocket of talent we're looking at in the 26 to 35 overall range.

cheese22

Reaction score
Love Perry, Cajuste and Marshall. Especially love Cajuste because of size, hands, blocking and it won't take an early pick to get him.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I believe Spriggs is a legitimate prospect at 26. I didn't see him getting "owned" in the Senior Bowl, and the defense has the advantage in those games.

Getting beat by Spence is something that happens to all offensive linemen, so I wouldn't count that against him. He looked good against Ohio State, and moves really will. I think he would make a perfect replacement for Okung. Here not elite, but at least he would start all 16 games.

The guy who blew me away in the Senior Bowl was Vernon Adams. Kid is amazing and I hope we pick him up.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":1emfv216 said:
I believe Spriggs is a legitimate prospect at 26. I didn't see him getting "owned" in the Senior Bowl, and the defense has the advantage in those games.

Getting beat by Spence is something that happens to all offensive linemen, so I wouldn't count that against him. He looked good against Ohio State, and moves really will. I think he would make a perfect replacement for Okung. Here not elite, but at least he would start all 16 games.

The guy who blew me away in the Senior Bowl was Vernon Adams. Kid is amazing and I hope we pick him up.

I agree about Spriggs. I didn't see him getting owned much either. One of the times he did though, Spence's initial contact was right to his chin and should have been a penalty.

OP
OP
F

firebee

Reaction score
cheese22":1skx35t0 said:
Love Perry, Cajuste and Marshall. Especially love Cajuste because of size, hands, blocking and it won't take an early pick to get him.

When I watch Marshall, the thing I love most about him is his vision and patience to let blocks set up for him. He seems to just kind of float until their's a crease and then he fires through that crease and he's off to the races. He doesn't dance around too much in the backfield and he always seems to be going forward, but he doesn't put himself in traffic jams. He doesn't seem to run into the backs of his linemen and create piles. He's always finding the lanes and as soon as a lane opens, he gets downhill, bursts and he's off to the races. I'm not sure about exactly how reliable his hands are, but when I watch him as a receiver, he makes receiving look smooth, fluid and easy even when he has to make a major adjustment for the ball. He just makes catching the ball look almost effortless.

Cajuste... Sooo underrated when I watch him. I just can't figure out how he didn't put up bigger numbers than he did this year when I watch him play. I did notice that he got wide open a lot this year and just didn't have the ball thrown his way.
I figure he's not going to be a combine freak, but what he does when the ball is in the air impresses me. He doesn't seem to be super quick at the beginning of his routes and kind of looks methodical when he starts off in his routes, but the way he finishes his routes is impressive. He seems to have that 3rd gear that creates separation at the end of the route, especially downfield when the ball is in the air. It's almost like he starts his route off to lull the defender to sleep and then opens up when it's time to create separation and get to the ball. He reminds me a lot of Richard Sherman in the way he shifts gears and finishes at the top end of a route. He's also made a lot of really great acrobatic catches and shows great body control. Then his blocking... I think he may be the best blocking wide receiver in this draft. The guy is a monster when it comes to blocking.

Yeah... I'd be jacked if we landed Marshall and Cajuste late on the 2nd day or the last day of the draft. I think these two would be huge steals for us.

Largent80

Reaction score
Nice write up Firebee. speaking of Spriggs, anyone watch Justin Britt lately after 2 friggin years in the league?

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
All I have to say is technology is freaking awesome. It has turned us die hard HAWK fans into very well informed, amature scouts. Great job to you all. You know your football. So glad I found this sight. I have been a seahawks fan for life, 32 years now. Not to sound arrogant, but as well with most of you, have a fundemental understanding of this game. Not to many people I know in life do, which makes me look like a fanatic maniac in most of their eyes. Keep up the work, stay connected to the game we all love. About spriggs, I would be hesitant to judge him on his senior bowl performance. There could be any number of reasons why it was down for him. The game tape will tell the tale better than senior bowl.

McGruff

Reaction score
My first genuinely unfair evaluation of 2016 . . .

Jack Conklin is really good. He doesn't look like he should be good, but he's really good. He's got the white farmboy big bellied build, but he's really good.

Why? He's an absolute mauler as a run blocker. Shows a real wtrestler's tenacity and puts his man on their back. Looks pretty good pulling and picking up backside defenders. In pass protection he's quicker than you'd expect, but his biggest asset is that he has a strong core that allows him to never lose balance and he plays within himself. He's doesn't reach blocker. He stays in front of his man and just plays through the play.

I under-estimated Conklin. I think he's in play as a LT for the Seahawks. Cable will love him.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
McGruff":txiz2uta said:
I under-estimated Conklin. I think he's in play as a LT for the Seahawks. Cable will love him.

Loved his tape. Figured he could be part of a trade back scenario if Seattle liked Coleman/Spriggs/Conklin.

At this rate, I still think one of those three will be on the board at #26. But probably only one of those three.

Conklin is a Cable type. Only with good tape. And looking like his testing numbers will advance him further. Kind of a shame that he looks like he'll be this years' Kyle Long, Zach Martin or Ju'Wuan James.

OP
OP
F

firebee

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3hwbgfzt said:
McGruff":3hwbgfzt said:

Loved his tape. Figured he could be part of a trade back scenario if Seattle liked Coleman/Spriggs/Conklin.

At this rate, I still think one of those three will be on the board at #26. But probably only one of those three.

Conklin is a Cable type. Only with good tape. And looking like his testing numbers will advance him further. Kind of a shame that he looks like he'll be this years' Kyle Long, Zach Martin or Ju'Wuan James.

I'm liking Fahn Cooper out of Ole Miss. Started at RT, but looks like he has the ability to swing back to LT. Was dominant at LT in JUCO, but it's hard to judge based on play at the JUCO level. However, put it in combination with his work at RT against SEC competition and I believe he's capable of competing at LT in the NFL against any of the guys that might be taken in the 1st round, except we probably won't have to spend a 1st round pick on him or even a 2nd round pick for that matter... Maybe we spend our 2nd on him if he has a huge combine.

xgeoff

Reaction score
McGruff":1snb2bgu said:
My first genuinely unfair evaluation of 2016 . . .

Jack Conklin is really good. He doesn't look like he should be good, but he's really good. He's got the white farmboy big bellied build, but he's really good.

Why? He's an absolute mauler as a run blocker. Shows a real wtrestler's tenacity and puts his man on their back. Looks pretty good pulling and picking up backside defenders. In pass protection he's quicker than you'd expect, but his biggest asset is that he has a strong core that allows him to never lose balance and he plays within himself. He's doesn't reach blocker. He stays in front of his man and just plays through the play.

Agreed. I wasn't high on him till I watched some gameplay video and I think he'll be really good. Would love to see him in a Seahawk uni but I think he will be long gone by the time we pick :(

cover-2

Reaction score
bamareedcropped.jpg

Jarran Reed is a run stopping force that I would love to see clogging up running lanes on our defense. I was a fan of his this past season when watching Alabama's defensive line. While I know the Seahawks won't use 1st round pick on a elite run stuffing DT, IMO he is going to have a long successful career in the NFL.