My Seahawks offseason wishlist

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Just felt like laying out a gameplan for something I'd like to see.

As far as current Seahawks I'd like to see the following

Let Irvin, Okung, Sweezy, Ryan, Tjack walk. Cut Lynch. Re-sign Lane for around $6m/yr, keep Mebane/Reuben for around $6m per. Exercise the rights/tender the following: Michael, Shead, Burley, Pinkins, Lewis.

I think that about covers it. I'm sure I missed someone though.

I'd like to find a veteran Guard for a moderate deal in the $3-5m range like Mathis. Plug him in at LG.

In the draft I'd go the following route to try and plug in the gaps that this would leave.

(Using nfldraftscout.com rankings for general availability)

Rd 1 Shon Coleman - let Coleman and Gilliam duke it out for LT and plug the other into RT. This would give us a pair of athletic tackles to try and protect the edges.

Rd 2 Kyler Fackrell - fills the gap left behind by Irvin on pass rushing downs.

Rd 3 - Kenyan Drake - a great receiving back who can take the ball out to the edge and race by defenders. A good compliment to Rawls/Cmike.

Rd 3 Comp - Jihad Ward - looked extremely disruptive during senior bowl week. I feel he's a steal here at the end if rd 3.

Rd 4 - Denver Kirkland - a really solid interior guy who controls his space. He can compete with Glowinski in year 1 and takeover for veteran LG in year 2.

Rd 5 comp pick - Daryl Worley - the obligatory 5th rd DB pick. Worley has the size they look for at the CB spot and enough speed to recover.

Rd 6 comp - Ronald Blair - looks like he could develop into a real solid pass rusher.

Rd 7 - Michael Thomas - I don't know how this guy is ranked as the 40th WR in the draft but he's 6'1 and plays like a 6'4 WR. Watch his bowl game against UW and he dominated at every level. Showed great burst on his long TD catch. I think a playmaker waiting to be paired with Wilson.

Rd 7 comp - hard to project here this deep into the rankings. Lots of guys that would be great here like Fahn Cooper who will be long gone I think. Realistically I'd swing for a backup QB here like Adams, Prescott or another moderately mobile QB to backup Russ.

I really focused on the trenches per the off season comments made. I think Bane/Reuben continue the run defense while some of the draft picks will boost the pass rush. With the hopeful improvement of Clark inside there is real potential here for a dominant pass rush. I think the LB level might see a small drop off from Bruce leaving, but there would be a nice infusion of talent here to help. I am keeping the secondary together from the end of the season when they looked like their previous versions. Between Lane, Shead and Simon I think a solid CB opposite Sherman is possible. If Kam can resume his soul crushing intimidation in the middle of the field I think the Defense has a great chance at an unprecedented 5th consecutive year leading the league in scoring.

On the offensive line we'd be looking at a lineup of Gilliam-Mathis-Lewis-Glowinski/Kirkland-Coleman. I think a much improved unit over 2016 and it should allow Wilson to continue dominating the league from the pocket. I'd also love to see what Rawls can do behind this line. The interior of Mathis/Lewis/Kirkland would be immensely better than the sieve we witnessed this year. Really the steal of this mock draft though, for me, is Thomas. Finished the year at USM with 71 catches for 1391 yes and 14 TD's. While watching the bowl game I kept thinking, Damn, who is this guy. I went and looked him up and saw his low draft spot and decided I hoped the Hawks drafted him. I'd feel comfortable picking him as high as the 5th probably.

I also considered drafting Kirkland to take over at LG and not signing the veteran fill in and maybe using that money on a cheap DL veteran.

Thanks for reading my take. I'd love to hear what others would do or any comments on my plan.

Fade

Reaction score
Run Stuffing DTs go in the $3-4M APY range. Why do you want to pay them $6M? Especially when they are both in their 30s, not their mid 20s.

Stopped reading after that.

OP
OP
EverydayImRusselin

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Fade":2kfq8ns5 said:
Run Stuffing DTs go in the $3-4M APY range. Why do you want to pay them $6M? Especially when they are both in their 30s, not their mid 20s.

I actually meant $6m for both not each.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Letting Ryan walk is the weirdest idea I've ever seen on this forum. Please tell me your joking.

I also don't think we can fix the pass rush with your solution. Why add even more DE depth, while the problem was that there was too little interior pressure. Why was that? Both our starting DTs are great run stuffers but don't add much on passing plays. Keeping them both and not investing in an early round draft pick would solve nothing.

Your situation would neglect one big problem (interior pass rush) and even create another (punter).

firebee

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":kh1is3dp said:
Fade":kh1is3dp said:

I actually meant $6m for both not each.

As much as I'd love to see us resign Mebane and Rubin... When I look at the DTs in this draft vs. the offensive linemen in this draft and then look at free agency; we might be better off looking for O-Line in free agency and drafting DTs. No knock on Kirkland... I actually really like that pick, but the depth and quality of DTs in this draft exceeds the depth and quality of offensive linemen in this draft. Unless we reach for offensive linemen, their's a good chance PC & JS aren't going to land the guys they want on the O-Line in this draft.

kearly

Reaction score
I like the thought process by the OP, even though it would probably mean having the worst tackle tandem in the NFL (I like Coleman a lot and would like the pick, but he's a high risk high reward player that would likely start slow in the NFL). I do think Seattle will bring in one or two veterans on the OL. Not sure how pricey, but I'd be surprised if they stood pat.

I think Seattle needs just one more pass rusher. If a guy like Cameron Wake is available in some way, even coming off that injury, I'd love to see him added to the mix. I think he is John Abraham 2.0.

Michael Thomas is also a big draft crush of mine. He was unbelievable against UW. It had been years since a WR had abused the Huskies defense like he did.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Overseasfan":ipx5f8yz said:
Letting Ryan walk is the weirdest idea I've ever seen on this forum. Please tell me your joking..

I personally would never spend more then the league minimum on a punter, even if that means we get a knew one every year. The difference between the best punter and the worst punter is like 5 yards. And Ryan is pretty much smack dab in the middle.

I can imagine spending some money on a kicker, but not a punter.

OP
OP
EverydayImRusselin

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
A couple of notes in regards to some replies.

Interior pass rush - I agree we need to get an interior rusher but I just don't see that person available at a price we can afford or at pick 26. Also in regards to upgrading the overall team, I feel an offensive lineman presents a much greater upgrade than a defensive lineman does. For all the complaining we do about the DL we still had a top 2 defense this year. Our OL was arguably bottom 2. Investing that 1st rd pick in a OL man is a greater upgrade.

Letting Ryan walk - as Jseahawk said I think punters are a dime a dozen. The choice is either Ryan or an UDFA and $1,000,000 to spend elsewhere. Easy choice IMO. Especially when looking at the amount of money available. I think we are going to be very hard up against the cap. Once we exercise all our ERFA and tender the 3rd year guys, we will not have much money left. I have chosen to use that to keep Lane, Mebane, Reuben and bring in a veteran OL.

chris98251

Reaction score
Lousy Punters really kill a team, many forget when we had bad ones, good ones get hang time, good ones can kick the corner, good ones can kick so we get the dead ball or good bounce, good ones make the difference in field position. It's not about yards as much as about situations and making sure we keep the opposition in undesirable field position.

J knows nothing about punters, Ducks never punt.

kf3339

Reaction score
chris98251":rrcylh2u said:
Lousy Punters really kill a team, many forget when we had bad ones, good ones get hang time, good ones can kick the corner, good ones can kick so we get the dead ball or good bounce, good ones make the difference in field position. It's not about yards as much as about situations and making sure we keep the opposition in undesirable field position.

^This.

We don't need to add another weak link on this team. Our punting has been very good the last few years, so re-signing Ryan is a no brainer to me.

kf3339

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":3ego3y9m said:

Interior pass rush - I agree we need to get an interior rusher but I just don't see that person available at a price we can afford or at pick 26. Also in regards to upgrading the overall team, I feel an offensive lineman presents a much greater upgrade than a defensive lineman does. For all the complaining we do about the DL we still had a top 2 defense this year. Our OL was arguably bottom 2. Investing that 1st rd pick in a OL man is a greater upgrade.

Letting Ryan walk - as Jseahawk said I think punters are a dime a dozen. The choice is either Ryan or an UDFA and $1,000,000 to spend elsewhere. Easy choice IMO. Especially when looking at the amount of money available. I think we are going to be very hard up against the cap. Once we exercise all our ERFA and tender the 3rd year guys, we will not have much money left. I have chosen to use that to keep Lane, Mebane, Reuben and bring in a veteran OL.

There are several interior pass rush DT's that could make it to our 1st round pick. To me we are weak on the interior on both sides of the line. It has been my experience that we would be better served to find quality veteran OG and OC in free agency this offseason, and draft a young stud DT early. We don't need more mistake OL picks from Cable and company that don't have experience. That is what has been killing us the last few years on our OLine.

Take your pick of Mebane or Rubin as a run stuffing DT for a fair contract. But they are too similar to bring both back this next season.

OP
OP
EverydayImRusselin

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
kf3339":wxyk7b3b said:
EverydayImRusselin":wxyk7b3b said:

There are several interior pass rush DT's that could make it to our 1st round pick. To me we are weak on the interior on both sides of the line. It has been my experience that we would be better served to find quality veteran OG and OC in free agency this offseason, and draft a young stud DT early. We don't need more mistake OL picks from Cable and company that don't have experience. That is what has been killing us the last few years on our OLine.

Take your pick of Mebane or Rubin as a run stuffing DT for a fair contract. But they are too similar to bring both back this next season.

Who do you think will be available at 26?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Fade":bqhypxfy said:

You should try reading more ...It was pretty clear what he meant

Fade

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":145gv7tj said:
Fade":145gv7tj said:

You should try reading more ...It was pretty clear what he meant
Sorry bruh.
EverydayImRusselin":145gv7tj said:
keep Mebane/Reuben for around $6m per.
But that is real easy to misconstrue.

Something like keep Mebane & Rubin for $3M APY each. Would be the better way to write it.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I would prefer a DT over a OT in the first round simply for the fact that first round offensive linemen have a pretty significant bust rate. Pair that with Cable not being a good talent evaluator and it's starting to look like a pretty big risk to take an OT with our first round pick.

At the end of the first round guys like Sheldon Rankins and Vernon Butler could very well still be available. There's always a possibility of Robinson, Billings or Nkemdiche dropping to #26 as well.

kf3339

Reaction score
Overseasfan":1kk1xikt said:
I would prefer a DT over a OT in the first round simply for the fact that first round offensive linemen have a pretty significant bust rate. Pair that with Cable not being a good talent evaluator and it's starting to look like a pretty big risk to take an OT with our first round pick.

At the end of the first round guys like Sheldon Rankins and Vernon Butler could very well still be available. There's always a possibility of Robinson, Billings or Nkemdiche dropping to #26 as well.

I would add Clark to that group, but personally like Rankins the most. We need a 3tech who can penetrate and get pressure on the QB. Some of those guys are only run stuffers with no pass rush at all.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
kf3339":1dr5gvv5 said:
Overseasfan":1dr5gvv5 said:

I would add Clark to that group, but personally like Rankins the most. We need a 3tech who can penetrate and get pressure on the QB. Some of those guys are only run stuffers with no pass rush at all.

That's why I didn't include Reed. Robinson and Billings are probably the best two DTs in the draft and while they are not great pass rushers they do provide a bit of pressure and they might be too good to pass on.

cover-2

Reaction score
kf3339":3pkw0s85 said:
Overseasfan":3pkw0s85 said:

A mid-round athletic DT pass rusher that I like is Mississippi St DT Chris Jones. And if we only re-sign Mebane or Rubin then Clemson DT DJ Reader is a guy to target in the draft. Reader,at 6-2 330, is a great run-stuffer. Right now he is considered a late round prospect, so maybe let one of our two run stuffing DTs walk and target Reader late in the draft to fill the void at a much cheaper price.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":237v3e75 said:

Totally agree,he thinks its meaningless to punt..I'm so glad Chip Kelly does not coach Hawks/Dawgs