National Signing Day.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Tomorrow is national signing day for senior football players. I love following recruiting, basically its like the draft if the draft was a 365 day roller coaster ride. In the end you have to remember that you're going to land 18 to 25 commits, and you're going to miss out on the other 1,000, so i try to be psyched for the guys we get and dont worry about the guys that we dont.

There's still a few story lines that need to be wrapped up for both Oregon and Washington but I expect it to be a pretty quiet day for both. I think UW's class is wrapped up, Oregon might get 1 more commit tomorrow, and might have 1 decommit. Cant really speak to WSU or OSU, neither really has a good recruiting forum.

Washington first:

From reading UW boards I think the only two guys that are still in play are Devin Asiasi (4* TE) and Boss Tagaloa (4* DT). Some think they're a package deal but others think they might split up. UW has a shot, but I dont think its much of one. I think they both end up at UCLA, and if they do the primary reason is ex Husky Marques Tuiasasopo who is recruiting them there (UW would be really smart to find a spot for him somewhere on staff. He's one of the very best recruiters in the pac 12). Michigan and USC are also possibilities for Asiasi, while I think Tagaloa will be either UCLA or UW. UW has a really strong defensive class, but really struck out at WR, which is odd because it seems like there's immediate playing time there that would have attracted somebody.

UO has a little bit more up in the air and uncertainty. They still are targeting Wayne Kirby (3* DT), Caleb Kelly (5* LB) and Calvin Bundage (3* S/LB). Bundage is the most likely to quack imo. I love his game, he plays like a savage. I'm hoping he stays at safety, but sounds like Ducks like him at linebacker. Kirby is a guy we just offered a week ago so we're in the game late, i think he goes to Utah, but Ducks have a chance. Caleb Kelly the 5 star linebacker is the one i'm interested in. He's down to Oregon, Oklahoma and Notre Dame. Reportedly he favors Oklahoma but his mom wants him to stay closer to home (He's from n. california) and REALLY likes the Ducks. So i'm hoping his mom can concinve him, but in the end I think he chooses Oklahoma.

There's also a good chance that current Oregon commit, Vavae Malepai (4* RB) flips to USC. Supposedly Oregon coaches called him at home in Hawaii Saturday night to make sure he was still solid and to make sure he wasnt taking a trip anywhere or anything. Then after getting off the phone he made a surprise visit to USC that he did not inform the Oregon coaches about. Recruitings crazy. So we'll see what happens with him. I like him, but I wont lose any sleep if we lose him, Oregon will always find guys to run the ball.

UO"s class has 1 QB who i'm really high on (Terry Wilson... he's a Robert Griffin 3 clone), a couple receivers who i really like, and will end up with 6 or 7 linebackers which has been an area of need, so hopefully a few studs will shake out of that pile up. Its a little light on the O and D'lines but both those positions groups were recruited really well last cycle.

As of right now in the composite rankings (average of all the different recruiting sites) the Ducks have the 25th ranked class and the Huskies have the 28th ranked class. But you also have to remember that the Ducks most important recruit, Dakota Prukop is not factored into that. Ideally i like to see the Ducks in the 12th to 18th range (just not very likely they're ever going to get into the top 10 with the lack of in state high school talent), so this class is a bit dissapointing although i like most of the guys we've got.

http://247sports.com/Season/2016-Footba ... amRankings

Btw, the Beavers have the 44th ranked class and the Cougs are ranked 57th even though they have 24 commits compared to 18 for Oregon and 17 for WAshington.

drrew

Reaction score
Two more UW possibilities, and one crazy one, although I think they miss out on these as well as the two you mentioned.

Nate Herbig - big OL out of powerhouse St Louis HS in Hawaii. Originally a Stanford commit, was then told he wouldn't be admitted, UW pounced. Stanford then decides he would be admitted, and Herbig reaffirms his commitment to Stanford...only to take an official visit to UW this past weekend.

N'Keal Harry - WR out of Phoenix - very very likely to stick with ASU commitment, but he is very close with incoming commit Byron Murphy and did visit UW. Huge position of need.

If there was an out of nowhere commit it would be Tyler Vaughns, WR out of LA. Top three or so WR nationally, longtime commit to USC, but there were some hints that he wasn't happy that USC took 4 additional WR after he had committed. He may have been on the UW campus this past weekend.

I'll update on my favorite UW signings tomorrow.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Just curious, where do you go for husky recruiting news? i go to real dawg cuz I am a 247 member, but I don't trust a thing Ruth says.

drrew

Reaction score
You're right to mostly ignore Ruth, she has way too much fan in her to do that job even semi objectively.

I like uwdawgpound, the SBnation site and got a free Dawgman membership from a friend at Scout before Fox Sports bought them probably 10 years ago, and it's never been shut off.

I also work at the UW and with the Athletic Department regularly, and as long as I don't push too much, they're generally pretty open to anwering questions.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Good start to the day. The 1st of 4 decisions went oregons way. They landed dt Wayne Kirby. Kind of a surprise. Now waiting on malepei, bundage and Kelly.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
Following recruiting beyond signing day is too weird for me. I'll never understand how grown men can obsess over what high school boys are doing.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Rb vavae malepei flips from Oregon to USC. He's pretty good, but like I said never worry about who's gonna run the ball. Deepest position.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":2714tjmj said:
Following recruiting beyond signing day is too weird for me. I'll never understand how grown men can obsess over what high school boys are doing.

I can understand that, but its highly entertaining. Its a year long sports soap opera. And year round football activity. Now there are guys who will follow every recruit on twitter, and instagram and all that, and who live and die on every kids tweets trying to read into what they mean.... thats definitely more intense then I am. I dont even own twitter. But whenever Oregon offers a guy i'll go check out his hudl highlight tape and stuff. It also helps you know the college game better because you know about guys all around the country who end up choosing schools other then Oregon.

drrew

Reaction score
Following recruiting isn't much different than following NFL free agency. These guys are signing to become professional athletes in every sense but the paycheck.

I don't really understand following individual HS players on social media, trying to talk to them, etc., but then I don't really get the appeal of following NFL players on social media either.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Btw, Hasselbeck if youre reading this, congratulations on the one day of the year that USC always dominates! They're having a HUGE day today. Impressive list of what i'm sure will turn out to be underachievers.

Also the bagman is strong down at Ole Miss. 3 more 5*'s.

Seahawks1983

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2e9jesu9 said:
Seahawks1983":2e9jesu9 said:

I can understand that, but its highly entertaining. Its a year long sports soap opera. And year round football activity. Now there are guys who will follow every recruit on twitter, and instagram and all that, and who live and die on every kids tweets trying to read into what they mean.... thats definitely more intense then I am. I dont even own twitter. But whenever Oregon offers a guy i'll go check out his hudl highlight tape and stuff. It also helps you know the college game better because you know about guys all around the country who end up choosing schools other then Oregon.

That is fair. I also don't know enough about how to scout high school level players from tapes that recruits put up of themselves. Occasionally you'll see one where a kid is so fast or so big that it is obvious how talented they are, but a lot of times that simply isn't the case.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2eqbuopq said:
Btw, Hasselbeck if youre reading this, congratulations on the one day of the year that USC always dominates! They're having a HUGE day today. Impressive list of what i'm sure will turn out to be underachievers.

That cut me deep.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Seahawks1983":1gby58kr said:
JSeahawks":1gby58kr said:
Seahawks1983":1gby58kr said:

That is fair. I also don't know enough about how to scout high school level players from tapes that recruits put up of themselves. Occasionally you'll see one where a kid is so fast or so big that it is obvious how talented they are, but a lot of times that simply isn't the case.

Depends a lot on location too. A kid can dominate in Oregon and not be that great because Oregon high school football just isnt very good. But if a kid dominates in Texas, Florida or the deep South you know he'll probably be something special.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1pslnvi5 said:
JSeahawks":1pslnvi5 said:

That cut me deep.

That RB you guys flipped from the Ducks reminds me of a Hawaiian Christian McCaffrey. He's got the same amazingly quick feet.

kearly

Reaction score
Asiasi and Tagaloa will announce together at 12:20pm, which kinda / sorta implies they will head to the same school. Given how little buzz UW has had with those guys it would really shock me if they picked UW.

WR Jordan Chin was bumped up to a 4 star ranking a short while ago, for what it's worth.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":2ujyz2jl said:
WR Jordan Chin was bumped up to a 4 star ranking a short while ago, for what it's worth.

Which site has him as a 4? His composite score is an 83 which is a fairly low 3*. And his next best offer after UW is from Kansas.

http://247sports.com/player/jordan-chin-80969

To me coachability and finding the right fit are both way more important than star rating anyway. In many cases I'd rather have a hungry 3 star than a 5 star who thinks he's already a finished product.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3a4sdc3q said:
kearly":3a4sdc3q said:

Which site has him as a 4? His composite score is an 83 which is a fairly low 3*.

To me coachability and finding the right fit are both way more important than star rating anyway. In many cases I'd rather have a hungry 3 star than a 5 star who thinks he's already a finished product.

Turning hungry 3's into stars is what Petersen made his name on at Boise .. so it fits.

kearly

Reaction score
Not to say that Browning is Tom Brady, but the UW passing offense reminded me some of New England last year in how they used the spread and Browning's outstanding accuracy on slant route throws to turn average joe WRs into efficient targets.

Getting a big name would help, but what ultimately matters is how these guys produce within the system. Julian Edelman was a 2-star recruit and I'm guessing Wes Welker was the same. In a similar way, UW is set up on offense to make the receivers look better than they really are, which makes the WR position more of a luxury than a must-have.

It's worth noting that backup RB Dwayne Washington was 4th on the team in receiving yards last year, and was just replaced with a far better talent for the role. Sean McGrew reminds me of Danny Woodhead, and Woodhead is a guy who's had a lot of receiving production for New England and San Diego, two teams with similar passing tendencies to UW. These types of teams often throw a LOT of passes to backup RBs, so I think McGrew is going to be pretty big addition for UW right away, impacting the Huskies the way that Woodhead and Lewis have for the Chargers and Pats.

And speaking of Dwayne Washington, I've always thought it was a mistake to convert him from WR to RB. Washington has flashed exciting stuff when running routes down the field. I would love to see the Seahawks pick up Washington in UDFA and give him some looks at WR.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2b4sf8wx said:
kearly":2b4sf8wx said:

Which site has him as a 4? His composite score is an 83 which is a fairly low 3*. And his next best offer after UW is from Kansas.

I saw it mentioned somewhere, probably at UWdawgpound comments, but I couldn't find where. I don't recall which rating service it was. And like you said, it's just one service of many.