Illinois State DE/LB David Perkins...the next Bruce Irvin???

cover-2

Reaction score
Illinois State University LB/DE David Perkins has similar athletic traits of Bruce Irvin had coming out of college. Perkins is 6-3 240 lbs, he has a quick first step, supposedly he runs a 4.4 40, and he has long arms. He has the body control to get low and turn the corner as a pass rusher, he flashes an effective spin move and also rip move. He looks aggesive vs the run. Perkins coming out of highschool was ranked as the 13th best athlete and rated as a 4 star recruit. He commited to Ohio State and was in Urban Myers first recruiting class at Ohio State. Perkins later transferred because he wanted to start sooner rather than later.

On a couple of scouting draft sites, Perkins is considered a undrafted rookie free agent, but I would love if the Seahawks drafted this kid as early as the 4th or 5th round.

[youtube]iRqN61dDfBw[/youtube]

[youtube]hQ01e74Evek[/youtube]

McGruff

Reaction score
Looks good. Real long and lean. Looks more like an end than an OLB. Exclellent athlete and it shows on the field with phenomenal burst. I didn't see lot of bend to his turns. Pretty upright. I'd compare him more to Gwachum than Irvin at this point.

firebee

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":jmt7c9f4 said:
Good find. Would love to add him to the roster.

Agreed... Very nice find. A great under the radar sleeper pick that'll have people scratching their heads until he's wreaking havoc on the backfield. Would like to see how he fares dropping into coverage to see if he could transfer to OLB, but he could definitely make an impact on the backfield on a situational basis and wreck special teams.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
Perkins did his Pro Day at Northwestern's Pro day. I can't find his results from how he did, but all 32 teams were in attendance. I'm sure he is no longer flying under the radar.

Here is an interview he did a few days ago...
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/2016nfldra ... -nfl-draft

It's a bit long, but Perkins said prior to his Pro Day he has ran 4.45 40-yard, had a 36 inch vert, and weighs 236-238 lbs. He also mentions that he studies opposing OT's that he is going to face and he also studies NFL OLB's Von Miller, Jamie Collins, and Cameron Wake. I really like that he puts in the time to study his opposing OT's weakness and studies the top OLB in the NFL; he just doesn't rely on his superior athleticism to be a great player. He is a must have for the Seahawks!

De33cb94e75596ebeeab87828ao0w299h217c0pid1

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
We got him!!!!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ChrisShanafelt/status/726552697701171204[/tweet]

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
cover-2":2gcdk6cd said:
We got him!!!!

Props to you for posting about him first. I think this is the type of player who could quickly endear himself to the fans.

Seafan

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":2l14lw1p said:
cover-2":2l14lw1p said:
We got him!!!!

Props to you for posting about him first. I think this is the type of player who could quickly endear himself to the fans.

Agreed, like Rufus Porter.

seabowl

Reaction score
Seafan":327y54v0 said:
TeamoftheCentury":327y54v0 said:
cover-2":327y54v0 said:
We got him!!!!

Agreed, like Rufus Porter.

Funny because before I read this I thought he was a cross between Porter for speed and Clemons for attitude.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I just love the way he finishes tackles. As I mentioned in my other thread, he hits QBs like Kam hits Vernon Davis.

KillerB

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":wp38qy1e said:
I just love the way he finishes tackles. As I mentioned in my other thread, he hits QBs like Kam hits Vernon Davis.

No doubt, the guy is downright unfriendly in his tackling. I like.

Jimjones0384

Reaction score
Great call. Like the scouts say, when watching these guys in college, in five plays you want to be able to tell the guy you are scouting apart without knowing which one he is. You can tell the first play with this guy. He has a nastiness to his game that I love. No matter if it is at lb or de, I think lock him in, he's gonna make this team.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
IMO- All Irvin ever had was a speed rush. 97 times out of 100 rushes, Irvin would be forced out in a huge arc and away from the action. This Perkins kid seems to have a lot of effective moves that can only be enhanced by pro coaching. He has a lot of bend/twist moves (and decent hand use) and slips by pass protectors like they were standing still + he gets down field well & finishes extremely well. I'm pumped to see him in action, a definite UDFA keeper. (Among many.)

Unbelievable UDFA class, turning over every rock indeed. The Seahawks seem to have one of the best scouting staffs in the NFL. Preseason is going to be must watch for sure. Love this F.O.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
McGruff":1x4nbmab said:
Looks good. Real long and lean. Looks more like an end than an OLB. Exclellent athlete and it shows on the field with phenomenal burst. I didn't see lot of bend to his turns. Pretty upright. I'd compare him more to Gwachum than Irvin at this point.
Looks like he finishes tackles better than Bruce did. Not saying he will be better than Bruce, just that part of his game sure looks like it.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
CamanoIslandJQ":3chdiu3n said:
IMO- All Irvin ever had was a speed rush. 97 times out of 100 rushes, Irvin would be forced out in a huge arc and away from the action. This Perkins kid seems to have a lot of effective moves that can only be enhanced by pro coaching. He has a lot of bend/twist moves (and decent hand use) and slips by pass protectors like they were standing still + he gets down field well & finishes extremely well. I'm pumped to see him in action, a definite UDFA keeper. (Among many.)

Unbelievable UDFA class, turning over every rock indeed. The Seahawks seem to have one of the best scouting staffs in the NFL. Preseason is going to be must watch for sure. Love this F.O.
Pre-season will actually be must see TV this year. :th2thumbs:

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Very nice call man. Excited for this guy. Actually I think he might be my favorite UDFA

chris98251

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":dagysi6z said:
CamanoIslandJQ":dagysi6z said:

Pre-season will actually be must see TV this year. :th2thumbs:

If they are good we won't see them in pre season much, we won't expose them to other teams eyes if we really want to keep them.

delagator7

Reaction score
Looks good, let's see him in camp 1st. I wonder how Frank Clark will look at SAM LB. Do you think he has enough speed and coverage skills to take it from Mike Morgan as a 3 down back? I haven't seen enough of him to make a judgement to see if he is a complete LB, not just an extra edge rusher.

Erebus

Reaction score
delagator7":wmy9jgmf said:
Looks good, let's see him in camp 1st. I wonder how Frank Clark will look at SAM LB. Do you think he has enough speed and coverage skills to take it from Mike Morgan as a 3 down back? I haven't seen enough of him to make a judgement to see if he is a complete LB, not just an extra edge rusher.

Lets hope titan doesn't see this post.