UW had the most overachieving recruiting class in '15

Tical21

Reaction score
Ahh, you're just jealous. Tough, smart, accurate. If he was slightly more accurate with the deep ball, he would have put up really impressive numbers. My favorite thing about Browning is that he excels over the middle of the field, which is rare for a freshman. They usually go from the outside and move in. Nothing there not to like.

pehawk

Reaction score
This is a fair assessment. Now, if CPetes in game coaching could improve...the Dawgs be scary.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Tical21":32kmiav8 said:
Ahh, you're just jealous. Tough, smart, accurate. If he was slightly more accurate with the deep ball, he would have put up really impressive numbers. My favorite thing about Browning is that he excels over the middle of the field, which is rare for a freshman. They usually go from the outside and move in. Nothing there not to like.

Oh, i'm not saying he sucks or anything. I just dont think he'll ever be more than average, or maybe slightly above. He'll have a Keith Price type career, imo (which with UW's current defense might be good enough). He's already a better QB then Jake Locker ever was.

13 of his 16 td's were vs Sac State, Utah State, Oregon State and Arizona. Against those schools he had 13 tds and 1 int, against the rest of the schedule 3 tds and 9 int's.

Hawks46

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3679evq3 said:
Tical21":3679evq3 said:

Oh, i'm not saying he sucks or anything. I just dont think he'll ever be more than average, or maybe slightly above. He'll have a Keith Price type career, imo (which with UW's current defense might be good enough). He's already a better QB then Jake Locker ever was.

13 of his 16 td's were vs Sac State, Utah State, Oregon State and Arizona. Against those schools he had 13 tds and 1 int, against the rest of the schedule 3 tds and 9 int's.

Highest rated freshman passer in the country. Sure looks like jealousy to me. ;)

drrew

Reaction score
Hawks46":33v63djn said:
Highest rated freshman passer in the country. Sure looks like jealousy to me. ;)

J isn't jealous, he just has godawful green and yellow tinted glasses.

Browning doesn't have the physical traits that make it easy to predict greatness ahead, but he absolutely has Pac12 champion level talent. He'll never be at the Tuiasosopo/Mariota level, but Kevin Hogan, Darron Thomas, AJ McCarron, Jake Coker and Matt Flynn have all won Pac 12 and/or national championships over the last 10 years. Browning could be every bit as good as any of them.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
I think Kieth Price is a great comparrsion for Browning. He will always be limited by his physical traits, but there is no reason he cant be a great college QB. I just Browning has better injury luck. I hated always watching the Kieth Price Limp.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":1upbt8og said:

Browning only had 2 multi-pick games all season. Not many true freshman QBs can say that.

I like to rag on PFF, but I think a PFF-type grade would do more justice to Browning's season than his stats. For example, Browning was mostly outstanding vs. ASU, but unraveled in the 4th quarter. A stat based analysis would say that Browning was terrible, but the eyeball test said he was controlling the game for three quarters but let it get away from him late. So I guess I shouldn't be surprised that PFF loved Browning last year.

The 4th quarter of the ASU game aside, Browning played very well in his last 7 starts. QBR is a flawed stat biased towards "conventional" QBs and offenses, so it will favor a QB like Browning more than others. With that said, adjusted QBR scored Browning 55+ in six of his last seven games (ASU the exception). A score of 50 is average, so QBR thinks that Browning was above average in six of his last seven. They also scored him 87+ three times in his last seven, which is an outstanding score.

I went into 2015 with zero hype for Browning. Even in his early starts when he was genuinely struggling, I thought he showed glimpses of things the greats do. Down the stretch, he was completing passes to no name receivers with remarkable smoothness and precision. He also really impressed me as an improviser and scrambler. My only knock on Browning is that he seemed to fold a bit when adversity struck. I guess another critique would be that he was on a different page than his receivers quite often, though that part will likely be fixed with experience and practice time.

No disrespect to J. I totally get being annoyed by Husky hype (the Huskies are like the Arizona Cardinals of the Pac-12 north in terms of preseason hype most years). And the Huskies have had plenty of players over-hyped before. But Browning is not one of them. He's earning his accolades.

And as far as Keith Price goes, when the guy was healthy he was a mid-8's YPA type of passer with strong TD/INT rates, and he did it in a pro-style offense, not in a system designed to get him effortless production. At a school like Oregon, his numbers likely would have been even better. In a lot of ways, he was like a poor man's Vernon Adams. Not exactly the standard of an "average" QB, IMO.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Chris Petersen has a long track record as one of the best talent evaluators and developers in the game.

kearly

Reaction score
Tical21":3eusff0d said:
Ahh, you're just jealous. Tough, smart, accurate.

I think it's subconscious fear more than jealousy. :twocents: Oregon has done well at QB recently, but UW could be a QB away from being scary good, and the end of last season showed that.

Tical21":3eusff0d said:
If he was slightly more accurate with the deep ball, he would have put up really impressive numbers. My favorite thing about Browning is that he excels over the middle of the field, which is rare for a freshman. They usually go from the outside and move in. Nothing there not to like.

Ah yeah, I forgot that Browning's arm talent sucks, but of course it would as a 185 pound true freshman. If he adds strength and hones his deep ball, especially tossing to John Ross, he could see his YPA climb quite a bit. It's pretty impressive that he managed 8.0 YPA with a weak deep ball and poor distance accuracy.

Like you said, QB's who dominate the middle of the field are uncommon. To see a QB do it as a true freshman is a very good sign of things to come. He's basically mastered the hard part, now he just needs to hone the easy stuff.

If Browning was 6'3" 220 he'd be getting serious draft buzz with the same performance.

pehawk":3eusff0d said:
This is a fair assessment. Now, if CPetes in game coaching could improve...the Dawgs be scary.

IMO, I thought Petersen's in game decisions improved massively in 2015.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
kearly":2ee2oof7 said:
Tical21":2ee2oof7 said:
Ahh, you're just jealous. Tough, smart, accurate.

I think it's subconscious fear more than jealousy. :twocents: Oregon has done well at QB recently, but UW could be a QB away from being scary good, and the end of last season showed that.

Tical21":2ee2oof7 said:
If he was slightly more accurate with the deep ball, he would have put up really impressive numbers. My favorite thing about Browning is that he excels over the middle of the field, which is rare for a freshman. They usually go from the outside and move in. Nothing there not to like.

Ah yeah, I forgot that Browning's arm talent sucks, but of course it would as a 185 pound true freshman. If he adds strength and hones his deep ball, especially tossing to John Ross, he could see his YPA climb quite a bit. It's pretty impressive that he managed 8.0 YPA with a weak deep ball and poor distance accuracy.

Like you said, QB's who dominate the middle of the field are uncommon. To see a QB do it as a true freshman is a very good sign of things to come. He's basically mastered the hard part, now he just needs to hone the easy stuff.

If Browning was 6'3" 220 he'd be getting serious draft buzz with the same performance.

pehawk":2ee2oof7 said:

IMO, I thought Petersen's in game decisions improved massively in 2015.
That is my thinking,the guy can get stronger as he goes along,I'm sure JS would be happy if Browning was a duck.With what we had at QB the year prior of Browning..I love the guy

kearly

Reaction score
I wish their was a remote control for life and that I could hit fast forward on it. I haven't been this excited for a Huskies season in a really long time.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Ah the problem here is that Oregon can't recruit even a decent QB so the Ducks keep depending on transfers. Therefore, J doesn't understand what a decent Freshman QB with room to grow actually looks like.

:D

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1ic5x2i4 said:
Ah the problem here is that Oregon can't recruit even a decent QB so the Ducks keep depending on transfers. Therefore, J doesn't understand what a decent Freshman QB with room to grow actually looks like.

:D

Incorrect. There were a couple of busted years for QB recruiting but I like the Ducks future (next 3 years or so) at the QB position a lot more then UW's. After Prukop this year there are 4 youngins lined up all of whom i'd be confident in if they were starting in 2017 for the Ducks.

On the Washington side if they can keep the 2018 kid they've got commited he's likely to be a 5 star by then. (but thats a long time to keep a player commited when all of the big schools will be after him).

As for the guy above who said I wish Browning was a Duck, lets be honest, UO and UW are looking for pretty different things in their QB's. Even if i thought Browning was a total stud in the UW system, he doesnt really fit the mold of what the Ducks want.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":oondjfih said:
As for the guy above who said I wish Browning was a Duck, lets be honest, UO and UW are looking for pretty different things in their QB's. Even if i thought Browning was a total stud in the UW system, he doesnt really fit the mold of what the Ducks want.

As I recall, you said Vernon Adams wasn't a great fit for the offense either. I'd say he did alright.

Chip Kelly hand picked Sam Bradford to run his offense. It didn't work out as hoped, but it is revealing of Kelly's thought process. Being mobile isn't the only thing that matters, having strengths that suit a spread passing attack matter just as much, if not more.

Browning is a good fit for UW because he suits their version of the spread offense. He's also surprisingly mobile. If he could bulk up and not lose speed, I think he'd actually be a pretty nice QB for Oregon's system.

I know that when Browning dominates the Pac-12 the next three years you'll admit your misread with grace. You always do. I think Prukop will frustrate Ducks fans, but he won't be a total bust. I like 2017 Oregon commit Ryan Kelley as a point guard at QB, although there is still a year for him to flip.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
kearly":2l5ek20m said:
JSeahawks":2l5ek20m said:

As I recall, you said Vernon Adams wasn't a great fit for the offense either. I'd say he did alright.

Still don't think he was. He's a stud though. I'll bet the ducks have a better overall offense next year even though Prukop individually isn't as good as Adams.

kearly

Reaction score
JSeahawks":2jefpcx5 said:
Still don't think he was. He's a stud though.

Point being, he played very, very well even if he wasn't built like Colin Kaepernick or Marcus Mariota.

JSeahawks":2jefpcx5 said:
I'll bet the ducks have a better overall offense next year even though Prukop individually isn't as good as Adams.

I really doubt that. For starters, the difference in the offense with and without Adams was ridiculous. It's clearly an offense that is dictated by the QB position. Secondly, the horrific Ducks defense actually helped the offenses numbers last year because they were in so many shootouts. If the defense rebounds this year, and it probably will, you'll see Oregon in far fewer 51 to 45 type games.

Also, if they shift to more of a run based offense, the overall yardage and scoring will drop.

OP
OP
JSeahawks

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Well... We could debate this for the next 6 1/2 months (god, that's depressing), and never change each others minds. We'll see. I just know I'm really optimistic for next seasons ducks, as I'm sure I would be for the huskies if I were a husky fan. (They better keep John Ross on offense, no more of that cb experiment ).

cesame

Reaction score
Looks like it's time for another reminder that the Ducks have led the conference in scoring 9 years in a row.

Forgive me if I don't worry about how the Ducks will put up points next season.