New two-round mock draft

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
My first thought was "no way a RB in round 2", but on second thought you're right about the Hawks putting a pretty fair amount of emphasis on the position. They may play a bit of poker if they think the guy they want will fall to round 3 ala Russell, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they didn't either.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Interesting to have Alex Collins in the 2nd round. I watched the highlight video you posted and was a little dismayed that almost all the highlights were against teams like UTEP, Tennessee-Martin, and Texas Tech. Not exactly defensive stalwarts. After looking at his stats, though, I see he also had good games against LSU (16-141-2), Auburn (25-105-1), Tennessee (27-154-2), and Ole Miss (17-108-0). In fact, he only had three "bad" games all year, against Toledo (20-54-1), Alabama (12-26-0), and Mississippi State (19-53-0). Still not convinced he's worth a 2nd round pick, though.

Subzero717

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":1kessk8z said:
My first thought was "no way a RB in round 2", but on second thought you're right about the Hawks putting a pretty fair amount of emphasis on the position. They may play a bit of poker if they think the guy they want will fall to round 3 ala Russell, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they didn't either.

My initial thought as well. Then I remembered picking Michael while we still had a healthy Lynch on the roster.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
A lot of the way the draft will go depends on how the front office handles free agency. I wouldn't pass on drafting either of Josh Doctson or Joshua Perry with the 2nd round pick. It wouldn't surprise me if both went in the first round even.

If the don't resign Okung, then a tackle in the first makes the most sense. If they do re-sign Okung, the best center on the board makes sense, too.

If they don't re-sign Kearse, WR Josh Doctson fills the role of a big target who can catch over the middle and also fits in the offense down the field. The value is too good to pass on in the 2nd round.

And if they don't re-sign Bruce Irvin, I'm really hoping for LB Joshua Perry to fall to the 2nd round pick. I think he's one of the more underrated players in the draft. He doesn't run 4.5, but he more than fast enough to play coverage and he's got the size to hold up extremely well on the line of scrimmage. He's already making hawk tackles playing for Ohio State and he's got the NFL size to play day 1 at SLB.

I like Alex Collins a lot. Late 2nd round is about his value, too. If Seattle has RB on their board that they have to have on the roster then I'm good if they want to double down at the RB position with Thomas Rawls and a high draft pick. I do hope they wait later the 3rd or 4th round to draft a RB, tho. A player I'm keeping an eye on is Alex Collins' ex-teammate at Arkansas, Jonathan Williams, who missed 2015 with a foot injury. He was an elite RB his junior year who could be a mid round surprise pick, assuming he's at 100%.

I wasn't much impressed watching Robert Nkemdiche tape, so at #14 that too high for me. He looks like a 3rd round pick to me. To a 3-4 defense maybe a little higher. I see him in a lot of first round mocks, tho.

Another guy I like that you have in this mock is LB/DE Kamalei Correa. He's really a good football player who could play the edge for us, either as a LEO or SLB or even both like Bruce Irvin did. He reminds me a bit of Clay Matthews. If he runs faster than 4.7 he's a prospect I'd like at #56.

cover-2

Reaction score
I would love those picks for the Seahawks.

Conklin, at 6-6 325, would finally give us a big, onrnery, bully on the offensive line.

IMO Alex Collins could easily end up having the best NFL career of all the RB's in this draft. At the beginning of this past season, I was indifferent towards Collins as a prospect. Then a few weeks into the season I read about him on your blog, so I decided to go back and look at a couple of his games. Now I'm all in on the Collins bandwagon. The man runs with good power, great initial quickness, quick feet, and he has the speed to run away from LB's and CB's. Great fit for the Seahawks!

I like Glasgow a lot, and I would be estatic about getting him in the 3rd round.

I would prefer Blair over Wormley. After watching Blair's Clemson game, I thought how did this kid not end up playing in the SEC. I love his versatility to play DE and DT. Also, I'm geeked up about his initial burst and his uncommon strength for a 270 lb d-lineman.

This is a bad year for LB's and I would be just fine with the Seahawks not forcing the issue in the first three rounds. I'm of the opinion of drafting a maybe a couple of high upside DE/LB's tweeners and let them come in and compete for a role on the defense.

j hawk

Reaction score
The left guard #73 Tretola is on my want/need list. Watch that video and ask yourself if he wouldn't look good on our OL. He doesn't whiff, powers his blocks, gets to second level. Please JS get this guy in the 3rd.

Spleenhawk2.0

Reaction score
I really am warming up to the idea of Conklin - just an absolute beast against the run. Could be an anchor at LG for years to come

I think I prefer Perkins in round 3, but Perkins may be too similar to Rawls. I am surprised at the blocking ability of Perkins

kearly

Reaction score
Maybe I am biased by Seattle's recent pursuit of athleticism inside, but I've yet to see a game cutup of Conklin that impressed me. He didn't look like much of an athlete, and I didn't see any "wow" plays. But with OL there is more development required today than ever before so it's hard to even know how much game tape even matters for them.

Collins is a big back with good balance, similar to Lynch. He would be a great fit for a power football team, but I don't think Seattle is that team anymore.

I would be stunned if Seattle went Conklin-Collins to lead off. FA could change things, but right now I think they will almost certainly draft a LB early, and probably also a pass rusher in rounds 1-2. The past couple drafts, Seattle has been very picky with OL in the first few rounds. They even passed on Bitonio at #32.

Not saying that's what I would do.

titan3131

Reaction score
j hawk":1luvr1ki said:
The left guard #73 Tretola is on my want/need list. Watch that video and ask yourself if he wouldn't look good on our OL. He doesn't whiff, powers his blocks, gets to second level. Please JS get this guy in the 3rd.

On board 1000%. When I watched that clollins highlights all I could see was tretola sprinting blowing kids up.

Russell Wilson's old coaches is the Arkansas coaches and he touts tretola as the best lineman he has ever had, according to Brock guard.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
kearly":8e5d0p3c said:
Maybe I am biased by Seattle's recent pursuit of athleticism inside, but I've yet to see a game cutup of Conklin that impressed me. He didn't look like much of an athlete, and I didn't see any "wow" plays. But with OL there is more development required today than ever before so it's hard to even know how much game tape even matters for them.

Collins is a big back with good balance, similar to Lynch. He would be a great fit for a power football team, but I don't think Seattle is that team anymore.

I would be stunned if Seattle went Conklin-Collins to lead off. FA could change things, but right now I think they will almost certainly draft a LB early, and probably also a pass rusher in rounds 1-2. The past couple drafts, Seattle has been very picky with OL in the first few rounds. They even passed on Bitonio at #32.

Not saying that's what I would do.

Carpenter, Moffitt, Britt, Poole... not great athletes to be fair. All eventually played guard for Seattle (or were tried at guard in Poole's case). Being a good run blocker with tackle experience appears to be their preference. That's Conklin.

Carroll has also made it clear what the priority is this off-season (OL) so unless they address that situation in free agency with their limited cap, it's hard to imagine them ignoring the OL in the draft until the very end of round three.

penihawk

Reaction score
titan3131":rzthuu2z said:
j hawk":rzthuu2z said:

On board 1000%. When I watched that clollins highlights all I could see was tretola sprinting blowing kids up.

Russell Wilson's old coaches is the Arkansas coaches and he touts tretola as the best lineman he has ever had, according to Brock guard.

Yup thats what jumped out at me in the video as well. Tretola is gonna be a stud in the Sunday afternoon league. As for the mock, I would have to see how FA played out to have a real opinion but it's not the players I would take.

firebee

Reaction score
penihawk":3meksdq7 said:
titan3131":3meksdq7 said:
j hawk":3meksdq7 said:

Yup thats what jumped out at me in the video as well. Tretola is gonna be a stud in the Sunday afternoon league. As for the mock, I would have to see how FA played out to have a real opinion but it's not the players I would take.

On board with Tretola too... 100% my favorite offensive lineman in the draft. Kid's going to be a perennial pro bowler at guard for the next decade. He was also one of the players I stalked on facebook.... very very Seahawky. I honestly wouldn't be horribly upset if we took him in round 1, even though he'd be considered a huge reach by most draftniks.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
If we took Alex Collins over Braxton Miller I would have to leave my apartment so I wouldn't chuck my remote through the TV.

kearly

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2ntgd69k said:
Carroll has also made it clear what the priority is this off-season (OL) so unless they address that situation in free agency with their limited cap, it's hard to imagine them ignoring the OL in the draft until the very end of round three.

Conklin does remind me of Moffitt. A plodder with good technique who didn't rely on tools. I don't see it really with the other guys though. Carpenter was a big badass LT for Alabama, many people thought, including me, that he could handle playing tackle in the NFL. Poole was like a poor man's Carpenter. Britt was sparq king, like a jumbo Sweezy.

I thought Pete was more vague that usual about the OL. He did say he wanted to draft a pass rusher and that kind of stuck with me since it was basically the only thing he got semi-specific about. No doubt, watching Cam have all day to throw was still fresh on his mind. I'm sure the SB only further reinforced the notion that Seattle's pass rush isn't quite as good as we like to think it is.

I will say this though, Seattle seems to have almost zero plan with how they draft OL. They've drafted just about every kind now. So Conklin shouldn't be overlooked. I just think it would be a bad pick for what Cable wants to do inside, and would go against the kind of drafting he's done on the OL the past few years. Though maybe the failures of the past few years will change philosophy. And FWIW, I always thought Moffitt was not as bad as his rep.

If Seattle is willing to go against type and just draft the best OL available, then I want Nick Martin in a Seahawks uniform.

I like the RB. He's under-rated. If this was last year's draft and last year's situation for Seatle I'd also have him circled in rounds 2-4. I'm expecting Seattle to retain Michael as the #2 RB, but I guess we'll see.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Why not Nick Martin in the first any more?

I would like to see them go 1-2 (though when I say 1, I think they try to trade out of the first and have two seconds) with the offensive line with a little center guard combo where you're more likely to be able to pick up immediate starters with early draft picks as opposed to tackles.