Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

The 2017 recruiting thread.

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: The 2017 recruiting thread.
Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:15 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:UW doesnt let their commited kids visit other schools, but they have no problem trying to get kids commited to other schools to visit them and flip to them. When it comes to recruiting, everybody rolls around in the mud, some just get dirtier then others.

Ok can we drop that lie? I keep hearing that and it's just not true and would be impossible to enforce. Really, he doesn't let them visit schools? How can he force a kid to not visit? Jason Puckett loves to bring this up and does so constantly when trying to muddy Petersen's image.

The truth is CP says as long as you don't visit we will stop recruiting your position. If you look around, then we will too.
    But once you commit to UW, we commit and will not try to get someone higher rated and leave you stranded because we decided to pull your offer because a better player came calling. That's why if UW has 17 spots available, they get 17 commits. Not 25 like most other schools and then trim down the lower rated guys a week before signing day.
    GREEDY PUNK PAUL ALLEN, THIS LOSS IS ON YOU.
    "I don't give a crap WHAT you gotta pay, Kam is worth it and I don't want to lose a shot at another SB cuz you - a freaking BILLIONAIRE, are cheapskating Kam over a freaking $900,000.
    You cheapskate."
    SalishHawkFan SEP 13, 2015 1:47 PM
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:23 pm
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:UW doesnt let their commited kids visit other schools, but they have no problem trying to get kids commited to other schools to visit them and flip to them. When it comes to recruiting, everybody rolls around in the mud, some just get dirtier then others.

Ok can we drop that lie? I keep hearing that and it's just not true and would be impossible to enforce. Really, he doesn't let them visit schools? How can he force a kid to not visit? Jason Puckett loves to bring this up and does so constantly when trying to muddy Petersen's image.

The truth is CP says as long as you don't visit we will stop recruiting your position. If you look around, then we will too.
    But once you commit to UW, we commit and will not try to get someone higher rated and leave you stranded because we decided to pull your offer because a better player came calling. That's why if UW has 17 spots available, they get 17 commits. Not 25 like most other schools and then trim down the lower rated guys a week before signing day.

Its simple to enforce. "if you go visit other schools youre no longer part of our class.". So explain to me why Marlon Tuipolutu had to lie to the UW coaches and try and keep it a big secret that he was visiting USC.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:19 pm
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:UW doesnt let their commited kids visit other schools, but they have no problem trying to get kids commited to other schools to visit them and flip to them. When it comes to recruiting, everybody rolls around in the mud, some just get dirtier then others.

:2thumbs: Nice clarification of his policy. Not surprised that some would characterize it as something it is clearly not.
    sondevil89
    NET Rookie

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:03 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:Its simple to enforce. "if you go visit other schools youre no longer part of our class.". So explain to me why Marlon Tuipolutu had to lie to the UW coaches and try and keep it a big secret that he was visiting USC.

Not sure how in any way that's a knock on UW/Petersen. The Tuipolutu family lied because they're duplicitous, not because UW/Petersen rules are wrong. They wanted the safety/security of a UW commitment while continuing to shop around, UW/Petersen letting recruits know that that safety/security doesn't exist if they want to look elsewhere is not a bad thing.
    drrew
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:11 am
  • drrew wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Its simple to enforce. "if you go visit other schools youre no longer part of our class.". So explain to me why Marlon Tuipolutu had to lie to the UW coaches and try and keep it a big secret that he was visiting USC.

Not sure how in any way that's a knock on UW/Petersen. The Tuipolutu family lied because they're duplicitous, not because UW/Petersen rules are wrong. They wanted the safety/security of a UW commitment while continuing to shop around, UW/Petersen letting recruits know that that safety/security doesn't exist if they want to look elsewhere is not a bad thing.

Like I said, I think its very low on the spectrum of dirtyness/slimyness. More just hypocritical than anything else, that they dont want their guys to trip somewhere else but they have no problem bringing in guys that are commited somewhere else. It doesnt bother me though, and its not like i'm upset about it. Anything goes in recruiting and i'm sure the Ducks do slimy, dirty stuff too. I know under Chip Kelly they had that same rule about commited players visiting other places.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:05 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    drrew wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Its simple to enforce. "if you go visit other schools youre no longer part of our class.". So explain to me why Marlon Tuipolutu had to lie to the UW coaches and try and keep it a big secret that he was visiting USC.

Like I said, I think its very low on the spectrum of dirtyness/slimyness. More just hypocritical than anything else, that they dont want their guys to trip somewhere else but they have no problem bringing in guys that are commited somewhere else. It doesnt bother me though, and its not like i'm upset about it. Anything goes in recruiting and i'm sure the Ducks do slimy, dirty stuff too. I know under Chip Kelly they had that same rule about commited players visiting other places.

Not sure what your definition of hypocrisy is but by all current definitions that does not apply. It would be hypocrisy if UW continued to shop his position while the player was not allowed to, but that is NOT the policy. In fact, the policy sounds very fair to the recruit and protects them from being dumped for a higher rated recruit.
    sondevil89
    NET Rookie

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:43 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    davidonmi wrote:rumors are tui's immigration status played a role in this situation.

So yes, I will continue to believe helton and especially Nansen were playing dirty until I see otherwise

So, what, Helton was threatening to deport his family if he didnt commit to USC? I cant imagine how immigration status would play into recruiting... (not saying that you're wrong, just cant figure out how it would factor in).

Honestly, recruiting is just a slimy, slimy business and nothing would really surprise me, and no schools are above it. Even Coach Petersen at UW, who i'll admit probably is not as slimey as most. UW doesnt let their commited kids visit other schools, but they have no problem trying to get kids commited to other schools to visit them and flip to them. When it comes to recruiting, everybody rolls around in the mud, some just get dirtier then others.

that's not exactly it.
    as roof says, haphazardly. citizenship through canada
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:19 pm
  • Ducks just got a commit from 4 star (according to 247, which is the best site, imo. Some of the others have him as a 3 star) athlete Cyrus Habibi Likio from Mountain View Calfornia. Helfrich and staff were recruiting him at rb/wr. The new staff wants him on defense. He'll play a safety/linebacker role similar to what Dion Buchanon had at Washington State. Ducks 17th commit. Expected to get about 10 more by national signing day which is Wednesday.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3321025/57e ... 7a98b0fb77
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:28 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Ducks just got a commit from 4 star (according to 247, which is the best site, imo. Some of the others have him as a 3 star) athlete Cyrus Habibi Likio from Mountain View Calfornia. Helfrich and staff were recruiting him at rb/wr. The new staff wants him on defense. He'll play a safety/linebacker role similar to what Dion Buchanon had at Washington State. Ducks 17th commit. Expected to get about 10 more by national signing day which is Wednesday.

3-star at Rivals and 247. Runs a 4.8 40, pretty slow for "athlete" designation. Doesn't look like anyone else offered him.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/37045

http://247sports.com/Player/Cyrus-Habibi-Likio-89288
    sondevil89
    NET Rookie

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:32 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Ducks just got a commit from 4 star (according to 247, which is the best site, imo. Some of the others have him as a 3 star) athlete Cyrus Habibi Likio from Mountain View Calfornia. Helfrich and staff were recruiting him at rb/wr. The new staff wants him on defense. He'll play a safety/linebacker role similar to what Dion Buchanon had at Washington State. Ducks 17th commit. Expected to get about 10 more by national signing day which is Wednesday.

Puts them at 5 4-star recruits with Oregon expecting to get their 6th 4 star recruit tomorrow (Judson)

Going to be a good end to the recruiting cycle.
    cesame
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:35 pm
  • sondevil89 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Ducks just got a commit from 4 star (according to 247, which is the best site, imo. Some of the others have him as a 3 star) athlete Cyrus Habibi Likio from Mountain View Calfornia. Helfrich and staff were recruiting him at rb/wr. The new staff wants him on defense. He'll play a safety/linebacker role similar to what Dion Buchanon had at Washington State. Ducks 17th commit. Expected to get about 10 more by national signing day which is Wednesday.

3-star at Rivals and 247. Runs a 4.8 40, pretty slow for "athlete" designation. Doesn't look like anyone else offered him.

247 has him at a 4 star. Its right there on that link you provided. He had offers from USC, Utah, Cal, Boise State, Washington State and several others also right there on those links you provided.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:50 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    sondevil89 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Ducks just got a commit from 4 star (according to 247, which is the best site, imo. Some of the others have him as a 3 star) athlete Cyrus Habibi Likio from Mountain View Calfornia. Helfrich and staff were recruiting him at rb/wr. The new staff wants him on defense. He'll play a safety/linebacker role similar to what Dion Buchanon had at Washington State. Ducks 17th commit. Expected to get about 10 more by national signing day which is Wednesday.

247 has him at a 4 star. Its right there on that link you provided. He had offers from USC, Utah, Cal, Boise State, Washington State and several others also right there on those links you provided.

The link I saw at 247 lists him as "composite 3-star" and Rivals has him as a 3-star. I don't see those offers on those sites.
    sondevil89
    NET Rookie

Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:11 pm

I agree with Biggins, having watched his highlights, speed isn't a problem and he showed really nice vision. It's a nice get.
    drrew
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:21 pm
  • cesame wrote:

Puts them at 5 4-star recruits with Oregon expecting to get their 6th 4 star recruit tomorrow (Judson)

I think Judson is actually my least favorite of all the guys we're in on. I just dont see a guy who's going to contribute a lot at Oregon. Hopefully, i'm wrong. Taggart seems to like him a lot. He's built like a brick house, thats for sure. Short and solid.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:25 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    cesame wrote:

I think Judson is actually my least favorite of all the guys we're in on. I just dont see a guy who's going to contribute a lot at Oregon. Hopefully, i'm wrong. Taggart seems to like him a lot. He's built like a brick house, thats for sure. Short and solid.

If I'm not mistaken he's one of those wannabe QB's that played QB because he was the best athlete on the team

I'd like to see him redshirt and try to develop into a WR in the Byron Marshall role. Marshall was damn good for Oregon. He was also a much higher rated recruit, though.
    cesame
    NET Veteran

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:26 pm
  • Back to recruiting news. Jaxon Kirkland, 3 star o'linemen, just de-commited from UCLA within the last 5 minutes. Both Oregon and Washington have offered him in the last week, and he'll end up at one of those 2 schools. He grew up in Oregon, but his dad played football at UW, so neither would be too much of a shock. I actually hope he chooses UW because I actually dont think he's that good. And yes, thats my opinion. And no, i'm not trying to spread misinformation.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:39 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Back to recruiting news. Jaxon Kirkland, 3 star o'linemen, just de-commited from UCLA within the last 5 minutes. Both Oregon and Washington have offered him in the last week, and he'll end up at one of those 2 schools. He grew up in Oregon, but his dad played football at UW, so neither would be too much of a shock. I actually hope he chooses UW because I actually dont think he's that good. And yes, thats my opinion. And no, i'm not trying to spread misinformation.

LOL, okay, as long as you don't say he's not Pac-12 caliber if we take him.

Five more days, then I'll offer up a truce, until then, it's war!
    sondevil89
    NET Rookie

Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:51 am
  • My goodness children... take it to the playground.

I'm locking this until we can get it cleaned up.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:29 am
  • Re-opened...

Threads like these are destined to turn into pissing matches because of the ridiculous and inane trash talk that goes on between the schools. It's part of sports but lets keep it civil, on topic, maybe keep to game days or move it to the Shack and be more creative with your insults.

This is a recruiting thread talking about high school football players heading to your favorite college teams. Let's try and keep it to that general theme.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:57 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:Re-opened...

Threads like these are destined to turn into pissing matches because of the ridiculous and inane trash talk that goes on between the schools. It's part of sports but lets keep it civil, on topic, maybe keep to game days or move it to the Shack and be more creative with your insults.

It went pretty well for 11 months 2 1/2 weeks.
    Last edited by JSeahawks on Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:02 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:It went pretty well for 11 months 2 1/2 weeks.

Yeah, I guess that's when Oregon's new all-star coaching staff imploded and had two national scandals in two weeks.

I feel bad for you guys, oh well, better luck next year!
    sondevil89
    NET Rookie

Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:15 pm
  • 3 star Bruce Judson from Cocoa, Florida commits to Oregon. I'm not sure what to make of him. He is built like a tank. Played option QB in high school and won the Florida state title, but will play some RB and some slot at Oregon. Used to be a 4 star but got bumped down to 3 star. If you remember the article i posted a few months ago about an Ohio State commit decommiting because Urban Meyer forgot his name.... this is the kid.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/2693729/bruce-judson
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:15 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:It went pretty well for 11 months 2 1/2 weeks.

We just need to all ignore the troll, then we can return to our regularly scheduled sh*t talking, and I'll look forward to you creating the 2018 thread this time next week.
    drrew
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:28 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:I love following reruiting, its a year long roller coaster. I know at least a couple others here follow it as well so I figured i'd start a thread and update it all year as commits come in. I'm pretty dialed in to Oregon recruiting, and somewhat dialed in to Washington recruiting, so i'll focus on them, but if anybody wants to add stuff about WSU or OSU, or anybody else for that matter, it would be awesome. I personally love college football as a whole way more than I love the NFL as a whole, so following recruiting also helps you know kids all across the country before they ever even suit up for their college teams. (and yes, i realize that obsessing over high school kids can be kind of creepy, but i'm not the type that follows them on twitter, or gets upset when a kid chooses another school. I just get my info from recruiting websites, specifically 247.)

One thing to keep in mind is that both UW and Oregon are expected to have pretty small classes in 2017. I've heard that UW will probably have between 15-17 while Oregon will have 20-22 spots to fill. So to begin with, UO and UW both have 2 commits each already.

I'll begin with UO's:

Ryan Kelley, is a high 4 star QB from Arizona. I think he has a good chance to be a 5 star by the time this class is done after he goes through the summer camp circuit and everything. This kid can spin it. I think he's probably the best throwing QB the Ducks have ever got commited, including Mariota, and he's a decent but not spectacular runner. Junior highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3698560/hig ... /308650515

Langi Tuifua, 4 star WDE from Utah. He was the Ducks first commit for 2017. Might be a linebacker, or might be a defensive end, just depends on how much weight he puts on. Junior highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2796620/hig ... /243704378

Here are UW's guys they already have commited.

Keith Taylor, 4 star CB from Anaheim He was the Huskies first commitment. Tall, rangy CB. Seems to be pretty solid to UW, but his high school is traditionally a feeder school to USC, so if they offer him things could get interesting. Junior highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3394134/hig ... /309019422

Connor Wedington, unranked athlete from Sumner, Wa. He just commited the other day. With UW having a small class, quite frankly i'm a little surprised that they took his commit this early. It means that he must be somebody that CP really likes though. He's listed as an athlete but i've read that he's going to start out at RB for UW. Also plays DB. Looks pretty good on tape, but I dont know what kind of competition he's playing against.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4449997/hig ... /312541392

First post of the thread, almost a year ago. Funny, only 1 of the 4 is still commited. Kelley is going to ASU, Tuifua to BYU, Weddington is currently uncommited but probably going to Stanford. Only Taylor remains commited to UW.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:38 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:3 star Bruce Judson from Cocoa, Florida commits to Oregon. I'm not sure what to make of him. He is built like a tank. Played option QB in high school and won the Florida state title, but will play some RB and some slot at Oregon. Used to be a 4 star but got bumped down to 3 star. If you remember the article i posted a few months ago about an Ohio State commit decommiting because Urban Meyer forgot his name.... this is the kid.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/2693729/bruce-judson

Actually he used to be ranked as the #17 player in the country, before getting injured before summer camps. I also feel like he's 10-15 lbs out of shape.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:07 am
  • UW 4 star WR commit Ty Jones is visiting UCLA this weekend.They dont have any wr's in their class so far, so snake oil salesmen Mora is going to be pretty desperate to flip him.

Ducks 3 star RB commit CJ Vardell is also visiting UCLA this weekend.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:00 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:UW 4 star WR commit Ty Jones is visiting UCLA this weekend.They dont have any wr's in their class so far, so snake oil salesmen Mora is going to be pretty desperate to flip him.

CJ is in Eugene this weekend. For those who don't know anything about him, he reminds me of Rawls, he's a must get.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:06 pm
  • CPHawk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:UW 4 star WR commit Ty Jones is visiting UCLA this weekend.They dont have any wr's in their class so far, so snake oil salesmen Mora is going to be pretty desperate to flip him.

CJ is in Eugene this weekend. For those who don't know anything about him, he reminds me of Rawls, he's a must get.

Nice. I knew popo blew off his official visit to ucla to make an unofficial to Eugene, I didn't know cj did too.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:57 pm
  • Ducks land another florida kid. 3 star wr demetri burch. Love all the florida speed. Expect 3 or 4 more Florida kids to make their way to Eugene in the next few days.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3850313/572 ... 1f80e2b6cf
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:15 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Ducks land another florida kid. 3 star wr demetri burch. Love all the florida speed. Expect 3 or 4 more Florida kids to make their way to Eugene in the next few days.

I hope that you have better luck then the UW did, kids got up here and were getting homesick and not able to just jump into a plane and make the quick trip home when convenient.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:21 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Ducks land another florida kid. 3 star wr demetri burch. Love all the florida speed. Expect 3 or 4 more Florida kids to make their way to Eugene in the next few days.

I hope that you have better luck then the UW did, kids got up here and were getting homesick and not able to just jump into a plane and make the quick trip home when convenient.

We've had pretty good luck the last few years. Charles Nelson and Tony Brooks James are both florida kids who seem pretty happy in Oregon. Might have as many as 9 florida kids in this class, and they're all buddies. So at least if they get homesick they've got each other.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:03 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Re-opened...

It went pretty well for 11 months 2 1/2 weeks.

Seriously?
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:44 pm
  • I don't think Ty Jones flips.

He passed on the offer from tOSU, and ruth has said he was totally up front to the coaches about taking this trip.
    He also retweeted softy in the middle of his trip
    it's concerning but I think he goes to UW.
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:16 pm
  • davidonmi wrote:I don't think Ty Jones flips.

He passed on the offer from tOSU, and ruth has said he was totally up front to the coaches about taking this trip.
    He also retweeted softy in the middle of his trip
    it's concerning but I think he goes to UW.

I actually agree with you. Feels completely different then the Marlon T. thing. Who knows what Mora is saying or offering though.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:23 pm
  • [quote="davidonmi"]I don't think Ty Jones flips.

If he flips, he flips, but why would you choose Mora over Petersen? UW is currently sending as many high draft picks to the NFL as any school in the country. In addition to that, former Husky players are highly respected in the Seattle region. There are many opportunities here even if you don't have the chance to go pro.

Watching Chris Petersen the few years he has been here makes me feel comfortable about his integrity in recruiting. Does this put him at a disadvantage in recruiting? Yes, probably. Years ago when I was naive enough to think others valued that same belief I and another Husky were practically ran off a Husky board because we voiced our displeasure at some of the sleazy stuff Neuheisel was up to. He was doing things like sitting in a driveway next door to a recruit's house talking to them on the phone so he wouldn't be technically guilty of making a home visit. Not cool.
    sondevil89
    NET Rookie

Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:23 pm
  • It's really annoying seeing people say there's a special silent commit but don't say any names

If the name isn't going to be shared then don't bring it up
    cesame
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:08 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Ducks land another florida kid. 3 star wr demetri burch. Love all the florida speed. Expect 3 or 4 more Florida kids to make their way to Eugene in the next few days.

We've had pretty good luck the last few years. Charles Nelson and Tony Brooks James are both florida kids who seem pretty happy in Oregon. Might have as many as 9 florida kids in this class, and they're all buddies. So at least if they get homesick they've got each other.

It's a no-brainer why there's so many recruits from Florida with the former coach of SFU taking over at UO, LOL. I get why you have to go wherever you can find them with the top Oregon recruits shunning Oregon but is it really smart? The NW is about as far away as you can get from Florida in the continental US and recruits coming from families who don't have the resources for travel should think long and hard about that.
    sondevil89
    NET Rookie

Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:34 pm

Deone...
    dutchcoug
    NET Starter

Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:50 pm
  • dutchcoug wrote:

Deone...

247 lists him as a composite 3-star which IS the average of ALL other major sites.

He is a 3-star, period.

Edit: "Team rankings are often so similar between sites that 247Sports chooses to simply offer composite rankings. The web site averages its own rankings with three other major recruiting media outlets to spit out a consensus."

"It's editorially more pure," said J.C. Shurburtt, national recruiting director for 247Sports. "It's nice four years from now to look back and say, 'I had him 6 and the rest of you guys had him in the 70s, he's a first-round pick, so I win.' The fans don't care. They care generally where their teams' players are ranked. If they're ranked high, they go celebrate."

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014 ... iting.html
    sondevil89
    NET Rookie

Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:04 am
  • dutchcoug wrote:

Deone...

To be fair, they sold him on playing like Su'a Cravens.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:21 am

Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:23 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Ducks land another 3 star wr from Florida, Daewood Davis. 6'2" with legit sub 4.4 speed, but pretty raw as a route runner.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/7214675/daewood-davis

6'2" 175 lbs, stringbean speed, needs to put on 20-30 lbs if he doesn't want to spend his college football career in a wheelchair.
    sondevil89
    NET Rookie

Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:17 pm
  • Many players come in not physically matured yet and the program can help with diet and conditioning, he could redshirt and be a player at 195 next year easily which is fine for a college player with 3 more years left to get to a higher weight.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:52 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Many players come in not physically matured yet and the program can help with diet and conditioning, he could redshirt and be a player at 195 next year easily which is fine for a college player with 3 more years left to get to a higher weight.

Granted, but I am always skeptical of featherweight track stars who decide to become football players. (Be they Oregon recruits or not.) ;)
    sondevil89
    NET Rookie

Sun Jan 29, 2017 4:49 pm
  • sondevil89 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Ducks land another 3 star wr from Florida, Daewood Davis. 6'2" with legit sub 4.4 speed, but pretty raw as a route runner.

6'2" 175 lbs, stringbean speed, needs to put on 20-30 lbs if he doesn't want to spend his college football career in a wheelchair.

John Ross was 173pds when he started at UW - http://www.gohuskies.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1788. Chico McClatcher was 176pds as freshman - http://www.gohuskies.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2170. Neither of those guys are spending their college careers in a wheelchair, as you put it. Plenty of players have come in to programs as lightweights and performed admirably during their college tenures.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:09 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    sondevil89 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Ducks land another 3 star wr from Florida, Daewood Davis. 6'2" with legit sub 4.4 speed, but pretty raw as a route runner.

John Ross was 173pds when he started at UW - http://www.gohuskies.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1788. Chico McClatcher was 176pds as freshman - http://www.gohuskies.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2170. Neither of those guys are spending their college careers in a wheelchair, as you put it. Plenty of players have come in to programs as lightweights and performed admirably during their college tenures.

John Ross is 5'11", 173 lbs spread out over 5-11 is quite a bit different than the same weight at 6-2. Also, both of those guys were football players, from everything I can see Daewood Davis has played one year of HS football with a career grand total of 6-receptions.

But, of course no one really knows how anyone will turn out but if you were just playing the odds, track guys don't often become very good football players.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/daewood ... -stats.htm
    sondevil89
    NET Rookie

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:20 pm
  • sondevil89 wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:
    sondevil89 wrote:

John Ross is 5'11", 173 lbs spread out over 5-11 is quite a bit different than the same weight at 6-2. Also, both of those guys were football players, from everything I can see Daewood Davis has played one year of HS football with a career grand total of 6-receptions.

But, of course no one really knows how anyone will turn out but if you were just playing the odds, track guys don't often become very good football players.

http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/daewood ... -stats.htm

I agree with your statement when it comes to pro football. Track guys aren't always great players in the pro game. However, college is different. Plenty of track guys have done well in college football. Willie Gault, Renaldo Nehemiah, Michael Bates, and Ja'Warren Hooker to name a few of the track stars to did well in college football.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:38 pm
  • You should really look harder because there are highlight tapes of Daewood Davis' sophomore and junior years. He didn't just play his senior year.
    cesame
    NET Veteran

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:49 pm
  • cesame wrote:You should really look harder because there are highlight tapes of Daewood Davis' sophomore and junior years. He didn't just play his senior year.

Max Preps listed that as his "career" stats, but even if he did play more than his senior year, how do you get to be a 3-star with 6 receptions?
    sondevil89
    NET Rookie

Sun Jan 29, 2017 5:56 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:I agree with your statement when it comes to pro football. Track guys aren't always great players in the pro game. However, college is different. Plenty of track guys have done well in college football. Willie Gault, Renaldo Nehemiah, Michael Bates, and Ja'Warren Hooker to name a few of the track stars to did well in college football.

I didn't say there hadn't been any, I said if you were playing the odds AND some of those guys were football players who also ran track.

Actually, Hooker and Nehemiah were track first, I don't remember some of their careers but Hooker was NOT a good football player and eventually went back to track full time.
    sondevil89
    NET Rookie

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:48 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information