Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

The 2017 recruiting thread.

Discuss your thoughts about anything draft related. Mocks, College and Pro. Knock yourselves out!!! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: The 2017 recruiting thread.
Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:23 am
  • For the most part, I think recruiting star rankings are overblown. College success is far more about development and schemes than recruiting hyped high school players. Looking at the Pac-12 for example, Stanford and Oregon always finish higher in the actual football rankings at the end of each year than they do in the recruiting rankings, while USC and UCLA are the opposite.

Does this mean that USC and UCLA are more talented than Oregon or Stanford? Perhaps they are more talented in terms of how those players did when in high school, but being good in high school and being good in college are two very different things. It's the same thing in the NFL. If we simply looked at how good each NFL teams players were in college, then the Cleveland Browns would be a dynasty.

This is why coaching is so huge. You put Nick Saban at Oregon State or Colorado and he'd be threatening 10+ wins by year two if not sooner. Urban Meyer hit the ground sprinting at each of his coaching stops, and so has Jim Harbaugh. They didn't need to recruit top five recruiting classes and wait 4 years first.

I don't think Chris Petersen is in the same league as those guys. I think Petersen is borderline tier one, alongside guys like Steve Spurrier, Bobby Petrino, Art Briles and Gary Patterson. But what I do like about Peterson that reminds a little of Pete Carroll is that he doesn't care where other people rank his prospects because he believes he can mold them into good players. Even with the Huskies on the rise, Petersen is still courting a lot of 3 star players. Sark was more about recruiting big name guys and hoping for the best. Petersen seems to be more about targeting his kind of players and coaching them up.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:51 pm

Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:54 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Ducks landed a JC olinemen from California. John Vaca. Looks athletic and mean. I believe he has 3 years of eligibility left.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/5412095/hig ... /316289378

Did UO suddenly start letting Cable offer OL? The kid had never played OL, and started out the season as a DL, before moving to TE then to Tackle. All in one season. He's raw, but has athleticism and likes contact.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:42 pm
  • Oregon just landed Army All American defensive tackle Rutger Reitmeier out of Tennessee. 247 has him as the 7th best dt in the country. Love getting those kids out of SEC country. Highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3087460/hig ... /293094419
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:55 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Oregon just landed Army All American defensive tackle Rutger Reitmeier out of Tennessee. 247 has him as the 7th best dt in the country. Love getting those kids out of SEC country. Highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3087460/hig ... /293094419

Funny, Hoke used film of Frank Clark to show him how he wants to use him at UO.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:45 pm
  • kearly wrote:I hope he is a rugby style kicker. UW has faced a few good ones over the years and they were extremely annoying to go against.

He does have a rugby background as opposed to most of the guys who've come out of Australian rules football.
    drrew
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 11, 2016 11:48 am
  • West linn 3 star olinemen Alex Forsyth is a duck. Washington was his other finalist, but in all reality he was never going to be anything but a duck. (Just as ariel ngata had Oregon as a finalist but was always going to be a dawg).

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4061292/hig ... /319437465
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:39 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:West linn 3 star olinemen Alex Forsyth is a duck. Washington was his other finalist, but in all reality he was never going to be anything but a duck. (Just as ariel ngata had Oregon as a finalist but was always going to be a dawg).

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/4061292/hig ... /319437465

To be fair his dad was a huge duck fan, and was killed at the Clackamas town center shooting. Part of the reason he was always going to be a duck, was to respect his dad's memory. Helfrich would have had to royally screw up his recruitment to not land him.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:11 pm
  • Hasselbeck wrote:5-star QB Tate Martell de-committed from TAMU .. USC and Ohio State are believed to be the front runners for him. Martell was actually a "commit" to USC when he was 14.

Martell has drawn a ton of comparisons to Johnny Manziel, for his play though not for his behavior.

As an aside TAMU is losing a lot of big name recruits .. Sumlin and co must be complete a-holes to send this much top level talent at QB running for the hills

Commited to Ohio State today.

For a 5 star QB its amazing how many people didnt want him. Oregon didnt want him. USC didnt want him.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:24 pm
  • kearly wrote:For the most part, I think recruiting star rankings are overblown. College success is far more about development and schemes than recruiting hyped high school players. Looking at the Pac-12 for example, Stanford and Oregon always finish higher in the actual football rankings at the end of each year than they do in the recruiting rankings, while USC and UCLA are the opposite.

Does this mean that USC and UCLA are more talented than Oregon or Stanford? Perhaps they are more talented in terms of how those players did when in high school, but being good in high school and being good in college are two very different things. It's the same thing in the NFL. If we simply looked at how good each NFL teams players were in college, then the Cleveland Browns would be a dynasty.

This is why coaching is so huge. You put Nick Saban at Oregon State or Colorado and he'd be threatening 10+ wins by year two if not sooner. Urban Meyer hit the ground sprinting at each of his coaching stops, and so has Jim Harbaugh. They didn't need to recruit top five recruiting classes and wait 4 years first.

I don't think Chris Petersen is in the same league as those guys. I think Petersen is borderline tier one, alongside guys like Steve Spurrier, Bobby Petrino, Art Briles and Gary Patterson. But what I do like about Peterson that reminds a little of Pete Carroll is that he doesn't care where other people rank his prospects because he believes he can mold them into good players. Even with the Huskies on the rise, Petersen is still courting a lot of 3 star players. Sark was more about recruiting big name guys and hoping for the best. Petersen seems to be more about targeting his kind of players and coaching them up.

I'm generally in agreement with all this, except going as far as Saban getting OSU or Colorado that good that quick. Some folks might overrate the value of natural talent and the differences between some programs, but those 2 (especially OSU) are way too far behind to make that kind of jump no matter who becomes their coach. Coaching development alone doesn't come close to explaining the strong connection of NFL draftees and good players to top recruiting schools. And while Saban has developed as a coach since his mediocre start at Michigan State, most of the difference is built on hype and status adding to the ease of getting the best players to LSU and Alabama. MSU was in a far better situation on his arrival than OSU or CU is now.
    I'd say the bigger reasons for differences in program success relative to recruiting rankings are all the reasons for evaluation misses. Namely, it's predicting future performance with nowhere near a controlled environment or even playing field.
    purpleneer
    NET Rookie

Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:09 pm
  • Ducks got their 2018 class started today with 2 commits.

4 star qb from Coeur D'Alene, Idaho, Colson Yankoff (great name). He's going to be a good one. Read a few national recruiting reporters state that if he were from somewhere other then Idaho he'd have a ton of big time offers from across the country. Sophomore highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3903368/hig ... /297692375

Also got a commitment from a 6'4" WR from Spokane, Devin Culp. He hasnt been ranked yet. Offered today at an Oregon camp and commited on the spot. Already 6'4" as a sophomore, may grow in to a tight end. Sophomore highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/6040370/hig ... /319768379
    Last edited by JSeahawks on Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:16 pm
  • UW also got a QB commit today from out of nowhere. 3 star Jake Haener from Danville, California. He was offered today and commited on the spot. Looks good, but I think if everything goes as expected at Washington he'll never start a game. I think they'd like to go straight from Browning to 2018 commit Jacob Sermon.

Here's his junior highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3349362/hig ... /289388386
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:05 am

Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:25 pm
  • Ducks get a commitment from a big time player today. Cornerback Deommodore Lenoir from Los Angeles. The composite rankings has him as the 85th best player in the country.

Junior highlights

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3554279/hig ... /283229396
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:10 pm

Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:25 pm
  • Cougs get a commitment from 3 star DT Lamonte Mcdougal. from Florida who had offers from Tennessee, Stanford and Penn State among others.

http://www.hudl.com/v/UerqN
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:17 pm
  • Ducks landed the #1 kicker/punter (he's ranked #1 at both) in the country. Adam Stack out of Hawaii.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:58 pm
  • Ha Ha seriously?A Kicker/Punter..Man it's changed a lot.I can remember when those spots were usually filled by walk ons or players from the soccer team.It's not unusual for a to be both but it rarely works out well at the higher levels.I can only recall Craig Hentrich doing both at the pro level.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:02 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:Ha Ha seriously?A Kicker/Punter..Man it's changed a lot.I can remember when those spots were usually filled by walk ons or players from the soccer team.It's not unusual for a to be both but it rarely works out well at the higher levels.I can only recall Craig Hentrich doing both at the pro level.

Yea, my guess is he'll probably end up focusing on one or the other, but who knows, supposedly he's pretty good at both. Ducks offered a scholarship to a long snapper this year. Thankfully he chose Alabama over Oregon. I would have been pissed to waste a scholarship on a long snapper, dont mind the punter and kicker though being on scholarship.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:32 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:Ha Ha seriously?A Kicker/Punter..Man it's changed a lot.I can remember when those spots were usually filled by walk ons or players from the soccer team.It's not unusual for a to be both but it rarely works out well at the higher levels.I can only recall Craig Hentrich doing both at the pro level.

Maybe, but UO missed out on going to the title games in 2011 and 12 thanks to missed 33 yard FG.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:42 pm
  • Bama in 2013 was undone by sub par walk on kickers as well. That Iron Bowl doesn't end the way it did if Bama's kicker made a couple easy kicks earlier in the game.
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:40 am
  • Bellevue's Salvon Ahmed just ran an electronically times 4.32 40 at The Opening. He's one of my favorite recruits. His 5 finalists are Washington, Oregon, USC, Stanford and Notre dame. I think he's probably going to either UW or Stanford.
    I know oregon likes him at running back, some schools are recruiting him as a defensive back. Not sure which side if the ball the huskies want him.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:01 pm
  • Ducks got a huge commitment tonight from Tre McKitty, TE from Florida. His other finalists were Auburn, Florida and Florida State. Huge for a couple of reasons. 1. The Ducks lose their top 3 tight ends to graduation after this season, so he has a legit chance to come in and start, or at least get serious playing time, as a true freshman. 2. He's from IMG Acadamy in Florida which is the #1 athlete factory in America. It usually feeds Florida State (Ex FSU qb Chris Weinke was their previous head coach) and the SEC, so its big for the Ducks to get their foot in the door. Ducks also lead for IMG ACadamy WR KJ Hamler, although I dont think he's going to commit any time soon.

Cant find junior highlights for McKitty, but here he is as a sophomore:

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3390156/572 ... 4b700c0ed7
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:15 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:Bellevue's Salvon Ahmed just ran an electronically times 4.32 40 at The Opening. He's one of my favorite recruits. His 5 finalists are Washington, Oregon, USC, Stanford and Notre dame. I think he's probably going to either UW or Stanford.
    I know oregon likes him at running back, some schools are recruiting him as a defensive back. Not sure which side if the ball the huskies want him.

I hope UW gets him but ND is getting tons of great players(more than normal)I wouldn't rule them out.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:55 pm
  • 247 did a reranking after the opening. Graham, Washington offensive tackle Foster Sarrel is now the number 1 rated player in the nation. Stanford seems to be the favorite, but Uw is in the conversation, along with michigan .
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:39 am
  • It seems like being a top rated prospect out of the state of Washington is a bit of a curse recently. Max Browne, Kasen Williams, Zach Banner. Actually, Banner has been pretty good but hasn't come close to realizing his potential (can't keep his weight under control and makes a lot of boneheaded mistakes).
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:20 am
  • kearly wrote:It seems like being a top rated prospect out of the state of Washington is a bit of a curse recently. Max Browne, Kasen Williams, Zach Banner. Actually, Banner has been pretty good but hasn't come close to realizing his potential (can't keep his weight under control and makes a lot of boneheaded mistakes).

Kasen still has a chance. He was being talked a lot at OTA's and had injury issues at college. Problem is I don't see where the room for him in the Seahawks would be? Baldwin, Kearse, Lockett, Richardson are probably locks unless Richardson can't stay healthy.

Then you have Kasen, Kevin Smith and Lawler competing.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jul 16, 2016 4:50 pm

Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:48 pm
  • JSeahawks wrote:247 did a reranking after the opening. Graham, Washington offensive tackle Foster Sarrel is now the number 1 rated player in the nation. Stanford seems to be the favorite, but Uw is in the conversation, along with michigan .

Holy smokes that kid is a beast. 6'"5, 300 pound highs chook kid who is pretty cut and can move. And he flat out buries kids . . . Although most of them are literally half his size.
    McGruff
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:28 am
  • McGruff wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:247 did a reranking after the opening. Graham, Washington offensive tackle Foster Sarrel is now the number 1 rated player in the nation. Stanford seems to be the favorite, but Uw is in the conversation, along with michigan .

Holy smokes that kid is a beast. 6'"5, 300 pound highs chook kid who is pretty cut and can move. And he flat out buries kids . . . Although most of them are literally half his size.

He's a stud for sure. The only negative i've ever heard about him is that he might not love football as much as you would like. But he's definitely got all the physical attributes necessary to be a future top 5 NFL draft pick.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:29 am
  • Ducks get a commit from 3* CB Demetrius Douglas from Jesuit High School in Portland. Kid is vastly underranked imo, because he missed much of his junior year with injury, and because he doesnt really work the camp circuit. Great, fluid athlete, should be a really good cover corner at the next level.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/4440498/572 ... 2d68c281b6
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:35 pm
  • Gotta love whats going on at UCLA. They currently have 3 commits. They've had 6 guys decommit this cycle already. Gotta wonder if Jim Mora's seat is getting a little hot. He's had a lot of expectations, and seems to fall short every single year.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:33 pm
  • Both Ducks and Huskies have added late pieces that will be eligible to play this season. Ducks added JC 3* DT Ratu Mafileo. He's a guy who loved the Ducks coming out of high school but could not get himself eligible. 2 years later he was commited to Texas A&M but just flipped to the Ducks last week. He'll be in camp starting this week. He has 3 years eligibility left.

The Huskies added a 3* junior college WR KJ Young. He was originally a 3 star out of high school and went to Oklahoma where he has 18 catches as a freshman. Then he got kicked off the team (for breaking unspecified team rules) as a sophomore and had to go to a JC. He's also eligible right away and has 2 years of eligibility remaining.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:03 pm

Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:23 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:Washington state got a commitment from a 4* receiver that I like. Isaiah hodgins.

Highlights:

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2653560/hig ... /296495408

Just decommited from WSU, word is he'll flip to tge ducks in a week or two.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:37 am
  • Bummer about Hodgins, but, that's the way it goes with early verbals. WSU has been recruiting well, won't break the class. He still says he's going to take his official visit there, but he's as good as gone. Got enticed by another schools waterfall grotto probably.

I remember WSU got a verbal from Bishop Sankey back in 2010, Paul Wulff, in his naivete, thought that meant no other schools would try and recruit Sankey, and WSU stopped keeping up with Sankey, UW pushes hard, because Sankey's a stud, Sankey commits, and Paul Wulff stews about UW being "Unethical".
    seahawk2k
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:28 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:Bellevue's Salvon Ahmed just ran an electronically times 4.32 40 at The Opening. He's one of my favorite recruits. His 5 finalists are Washington, Oregon, USC, Stanford and Notre dame. I think he's probably going to either UW or Stanford.

I hope UW gets him but ND is getting tons of great players(more than normal)I wouldn't rule them out.

He's announcing his commitment today at 5 pm. I'll be pretty shocked if its anywhere other then UW.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:37 pm
  • Ahmed commited to UW. I really love this kid. I hope they play him on offense. I honestly think he could be Christian McCaffrey like as a RB. He'd be good at safety too (which I think is where Washington wants him), but he'd be special at RB, imo.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:56 am
  • Well thats some good UW news,maybe he will play both ways like others have in last few years
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:27 am
  • Thanks for keeping up on this JSeahawks. I liked what I read here.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:12 am
  • 4 star cb/wr jaylon redd from California commits to oregon. Kids a playmaker. He'll probably play corner but might be a wr (or maybe even play both sides of the ball) depending on numbers.

http://www.hudl.com/video/3/3068675/572 ... 5d90e38c43
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:19 pm
  • Wonder if they still get Molden
    cesame
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 26, 2016 2:25 pm
  • cesame wrote:Wonder if they still get Molden

From what I've read Molden has been considered a Stanford lean for quite awhile but the Ducks are still heavily in the conversation. Hopefully as the decision gets closer the appeal of playing closer to home at dads alma mater will pull him our direction. Tough saying no to Stanford though, both academically and athletically.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:03 pm
  • It'd just be nice to keep some in state talent

Already lost Tuipolotu and Daniel Green
    cesame
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:02 pm
  • Petersen is doing a good job of building a fence around the state, but it is a difficult time with so much parity in the league. Recruiting against Stanford is also difficult for north division schools because of the pure dollar value of a Stanford education which is literally worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. It seems we lose a really good one here and there. Oregon's recent success played a role in some recruit's decision also but that may be changing. Then, a recruit might choose solely based upon a lack of competition at their position.

College football, like everything it seems, is cyclic and we may be entering one of those critical moments of time that define the direction of programs. Oregon appears to be in a state of decline, they have had to go to smaller schools to get players in their final year of eligibility, and their coaching situation seems to be tenuous with a fan base seemingly in revolt. Whether they can reverse this trend remains to be seen. UW, on the other hand, seems to be pretty secure in their coaching situation and this can play a significant part of a recruit's decision-making process. How this season will play out is anybody's guess but that also will play a role in choice.
    One life, right? Don't blow it. GO HAWKS!!! CK UW Seattle Children's Hospital please give
    dogorama
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:17 pm
  • cesame wrote:Wonder if they still get Molden

I guess he suffered a concussion in there last game. He's had a few. He also had a fractured skull from a collision in 7 on 7 the summer before last. Hate to say it, but i'm not sure this is a kid who should be playing college football. Which sucks, because he's one hell of an athlete and cornerback.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:56 am
  • I read somewhere that Foster was going to be at the UW/Stanford game. I certainly hope that was so.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:53 am
  • jkitsune wrote:I read somewhere that Foster was going to be at the UW/Stanford game. I certainly hope that was so.

Seems like he'd be playing in his own game on a Friday night.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:31 am
  • JSeahawks wrote:
    jkitsune wrote:I read somewhere that Foster was going to be at the UW/Stanford game. I certainly hope that was so.

His team played on Thursday.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:36 am
  • bigtrain21 wrote:
    JSeahawks wrote:
    jkitsune wrote:I read somewhere that Foster was going to be at the UW/Stanford game. I certainly hope that was so.

His team played on Thursday.

Gotcha. He's definatly gonna be a good one wherever he ends up.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:20 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NCAA FOOTBALL & PRO DRAFT FORUM ]

Information