2011 Draft: Where Are They Now?

kobebryant

Reaction score
Carp stands up pretty well to those drafted around him for the most part.

kearly

Reaction score
At the time it was considered to be a very weak draft. With one famous exception (Julio Jones), teams had a notoriously tough time trading down that year because nobody liked what they saw enough to move up. The Panthers shopped the crap out of the #1 pick and got no takers for Cam Newton or Von Miller. Crazy.

Looking at that draft, it's extremely impressive how many players from the first several rounds are still in the league, or who are on a HoF pace, or who have signed big second contracts.

I don't know how far I'd have to go back to find a better looking draft in retrospect. Maybe 2004? Probably further than that.

titan3131

Reaction score
When they do this for 2014 draft its gonna be so lame. That draft sucked.

OP
OP
Rat

Rat

Reaction score
kearly":2puo3f1a said:
At the time it was considered to be a very weak draft. With one famous exception (Julio Jones), teams had a notoriously tough time trading down that year because nobody liked what they saw enough to move up. The Panthers shopped the crap out of the #1 pick and got no takers for Cam Newton or Von Miller. Crazy.

Looking at that draft, it's extremely impressive how many players from the first several rounds are still in the league, or who are on a HoF pace, or who have signed big second contracts.

I don't know how far I'd have to go back to find a better looking draft in retrospect. Maybe 2004? Probably further than that.

I remember the Falcons getting absolutely excoriated by fans/media for making that big move up for Julio. It cost them their next year's first rounder and change. The Falcons ended up with one of the NFLs premiere weapons while the Browns turned their much celebrated haul into Phil Taylor and Brandon Weedon, two guys who are no longer on the team. Browns could have had Julio themselves if they had stayed put, or they could have taken Watt, Tyron Smith, Quinn, etc. That could have completely changed the trajectory of that franchise, not to mention Holmgren's front office career.