Jaylon Smith is a more athletic Kam Chancellor

ARhawk

Reaction score
I was watching some of Jaylon Smith's tape on draft breakdown earlier today, and I almost thought it was Chancellor wearing number 9 for Notre Dame. Smith is faster and a better athlete than Chancellor but other than that they look the same to me, down to height and weight (6'3" 230ish)

I may be crazy, but I think he would be a perfect Chancellor replacement. He is surprisingly good in coverage set the edge well.

Dont get me wrong, there is absolutely no way this happens as Smith will be a high pick to play linebacker, not safety. I'm just entertaining an idea I think would be interesting. Im curious if anyone else has noticed this or if I'm just insane.

firebee

Reaction score
ARhawk":ptzyhdgx said:
I was watching some of Jaylon Smith's tape on draft breakdown earlier today, and I almost thought it was Chancellor wearing number 9 for Notre Dame. Smith is faster and a better athlete than Chancellor but other than that they look the same to me, down to height and weight (6'3" 230ish)

I may be crazy, but I think he would be a perfect Chancellor replacement. He is surprisingly good in coverage set the edge well.

Dont get me wrong, there is absolutely no way this happens as Smith will be a high pick to play linebacker, not safety. I'm just entertaining an idea I think would be interesting. Im curious if anyone else has noticed this or if I'm just insane.

You know... The more I watch Smith... The more meh I am on him. He's fundamentally sound, he's athletic, he uses his hands well to engage and neutralize blocks, he's strong and holds up in the trash. My biggest problem with him though is his playing speed. He plays fast, but he's a 1 speed guy. He doesn't show any noticeable closing burst or a noticeable burst off the snap. He always seems to just play at one speed and I don't like that. I like to see some variation. Super quick off the snap that levels into good playing speed or someone that has good playing speed, but really bursts when they close on the ball or ball carrier. Preferably, I like to see a 3 gear guy, someone who shows great burst off the snap, good playing speed and a 3rd gear closing burst. The other thing I'm not liking about Smith is that he's good at neutralizing blocks and he's strong, but it seems like he should be able to shed blocks quicker than he does. The more I watch him, the more I'm getting a Curry vibe off him. Looks the part and looks fundamentally sound, but just no quick explosive ability that'll translate into big plays in the NFL.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
firebee":32ycgp90 said:
ARhawk":32ycgp90 said:

You know... The more I watch Smith... The more meh I am on him. He's fundamentally sound, he's athletic, he uses his hands well to engage and neutralize blocks, he's strong and holds up in the trash. My biggest problem with him though is his playing speed. He plays fast, but he's a 1 speed guy. He doesn't show any noticeable closing burst or a noticeable burst off the snap. He always seems to just play at one speed and I don't like that. I like to see some variation. Super quick off the snap that levels into good playing speed or someone that has good playing speed, but really bursts when they close on the ball or ball carrier. Preferably, I like to see a 3 gear guy, someone who shows great burst off the snap, good playing speed and a 3rd gear closing burst. The other thing I'm not liking about Smith is that he's good at neutralizing blocks and he's strong, but it seems like he should be able to shed blocks quicker than he does. The more I watch him, the more I'm getting a Curry vibe off him. Looks the part and looks fundamentally sound, but just no quick explosive ability that'll translate into big plays in the NFL.
Smith has the speed believe me or did before knee injury and you ever watch closely sideline to sideline there was no one faster.In the 3 yrs I watched him the things that bothered me is he tends to miss some easy tackles and you won't see Kam hits from him.He is real good for most part but Kam mold he is not.

Erebus

Reaction score
ARhawk":m8ve2gi4 said:

Like you said, he will be a high pick and unfortunately won't fall to us. But if he did, I don't see anything wrong with having both him and Kam on the field at the same time.

firebee

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1a8dokgx said:
firebee":1a8dokgx said:
ARhawk":1a8dokgx said:

Smith has the speed believe me or did before knee injury and you ever watch closely sideline to sideline there was no one faster.In the 3 yrs I watched him the things that bothered me is he tends to miss some easy tackles and you won't see Kam hits from him.He is real good for most part but Kam mold he is not.

Maybe that's what I'm seeing. Initially, I was looking at general highlight clips, which are probably clips from 2014 and 2015... looked really good on highlights, but then when I started going over the 2015 film for Notre Dame and keying on him, I noticed the issues with burst, albeit off the snap or on the close. Not to say he doesn't play fast, I'd just like to see that burst one way or another... off the snap or on the close, preferably both on the snap and the close. Maybe it's just me, but lack of burst or explosion is a big turn off for me when I'm looking at prospects for the NFL. Everybody's fast, so I think having that extra gear gives a player an edge over another player.

cover-2

Reaction score
ARhawk":1b3wxyyu said:

While Jaylon Smith has the same body type as Kam, I thought UCLA LB Myles Jack played a lot like Kam. Jack was physical and violent when taking on o-lineman vs the run.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I would rather we get Travis Feeney.

You cannot watch a UW game without him standing out. And I believe he was a corner CB/safety, known for his jarring hits.

If you want a replacement to Kam (though that is insane, nobody is replacing Kam) one of the best options might be in our backyard.

He ran a 4.5, one of the fasted LBs, is 230lbs and has loads of tape, a knack for hitting the QB, and I think he originally played in the secondary.

And I can point to several games (for example USC) where he was one of the key reasons they won. He is a gamer.

Has had some shoulder operations, which means he is probably hurting himself but bad techniques can be fixed/coached up. Should also point out the LBs are probably undervalued, so he probably is gettable at a reasonable draft pick. Well worth a 4th.

penihawk

Reaction score
Jaylon Smith is one of the great kids from a non football standpoint. I gotta wonder tho, how he is considered one of the top players in this draft with 113 tackles and only 9 behind the LOS with 1 sack. I get he had the Hgt,Wgt,speed thing but the production isnt top 5 and he never rushed the passer. We may never get the chance to see the real Jaylon Smith and find out what those numbers really mean and that is a shame.

pehawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3nrugwi7 said:
I would rather we get Travis Feeney.

You cannot watch a UW game without him standing out. And I believe he was a corner CB/safety, known for his jarring hits.

If you want a replacement to Kam (though that is insane, nobody is replacing Kam) one of the best options might be in our backyard.

He ran a 4.5, one of the fasted LBs, is 230lbs and has loads of tape, a knack for hitting the QB, and I think he originally played in the secondary.

And I can point to several games (for example USC) where he was one of the key reasons they won. He is a gamer.

Has had some shoulder operations, which means he is probably hurting himself but bad techniques can be fixed/coached up. Should also point out the LBs are probably undervalued, so he probably is gettable at a reasonable draft pick. Well worth a 4th.

+1. Freeney reeks Seahawks. I have some concerns over his frame, but a move to SS all but negates such concerns.

An anonymous GM was quoted as really liking Smith still. Schneider was my first guess.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Grudge folks looking to get rid of Kam this year are probably going to be disappointed. The safety class this year is pretty bad after the first few prospects and we don't have the depth to ship Kam off.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Well you won't find me trying to ship him off.

Kam is one of my favorite Seahawks ever, in that ring with Browner, Lynch & Sherman. But safeties have one of the shortest effective playing careers of any NFL position, so we have to have guys in the wings that can hopefully at least fill the gap if we lose Kam.

Feeney is 6'4" or 6' 5" so he has the height. He was used to cover TEs frequently, so we know he can cover. And he flashed all over the field.

Would MUCH rather him than Smith, but obviously I shipping Kam off is a day I hope I don't see for a long time, if ever. Would prefer years more of Kamtrack and then have him retire here.

drrew

Reaction score
Big Travis Feeney fan, but he's not successfully making the move to DB because he doesn't have the change of direction skills.

He's super explosive as evidenced by the 40, vertical and broad jumps, but I think we has 13th out of the 16 linebackers in the 3 cone drill.

If his shoulders checked out ok, I think he could carve out a nice career with the potential to be a Pro Bowl special teams guy and situational pass rusher.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
drrew":6l9t7vhh said:
Big Travis Feeney fan, but he's not successfully making the move to DB because he doesn't have the change of direction skills.

He's super explosive as evidenced by the 40, vertical and broad jumps, but I think we has 13th out of the 16 linebackers in the 3 cone drill.

If his shoulders checked out ok, I think he could carve out a nice career with the potential to be a Pro Bowl special teams guy and situational pass rusher.
Correct. He's got a little bit of that Taylor Mays kind of streamlined athleticism where he can get N/S in a hurry, but lacks the feet and hips of a true DB. Kam actually played CB for a while and it has always really showed. It's very evident on the pass he broke up on Welker in that Superbowl. Came off his route, dropped his hips and redirected in no time flat.

This also reminds me of the Pinkins conundrum. Tried him at corner, then moved him to LB, but never tried him at safety where he played in college. Why? Do they think he lacks something mentally? He's one hell of an athlete for sure. Better than Feeney even.

Lots of whys we'll never know the whole story on unfortunately.

Latest posts