6000 word Seahawks combine preview & watch-list

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I comment on your articles as Josh but I just wanted to say thanks for all your hard work Rob. Been reading your blog damn near everyday for 3 years now.

MysterMatt

Reaction score
Really thoughtful content and an engaging read. Well done! I guess I'd freak out a little if we drafted a RB that high (Christine Michael has scarred me), but if the player makes a positive and significant contribution then I'd survive. It seems a luxury unless we address OL and DL effectively in FA.

chris98251

Reaction score
I think a statement made last year by Pete and John on their misses and identifying why will make more of a impact this year. Guy's like Lockett and Kristjan Sokoli, Mark Glowinski, Frank Clark, all play with intensity and attitude, having that finishing mentality and a bit of nastiness in their game when it comes to lineman becomes just as important as athletic ability. Michael has tools but didn't have the right attitude, I think Moffat and Carpenter falls into those intangibles also as have a few other players that have been moved or don't make it through camp.

Can't remember which WR it was last year but they complained about how tough our defense made it on them and may be the same one that was in a few shoving matches etc. and then was cut.

That's the misses we made and the correction I think we make.

I rarely see anything about mentality in anyones write ups, it's always 40 times can drills, copied from someone elses evaluation, people that really watch and scout I think would do a great service adding what kind of heart and attitude a player plays with. This team especially looks at that aspect now I think. It's why Rawls is here, Baldwin, Bennett and on and lets mot forget Sherman and Thomas. I see it across most our D Line, you see it in Wilson in a different way, where I don't see it is on our O Line. This is actually kind of amazing, other then Sweezy most of them don't show any aggression, most won't come to Wilson's aide when he is given that little extra shove and hard hit. Saying that this is Tom Cables group, you know the guy that punched out an assistant once upon a time.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
chris98251":2wua4y3l said:
I rarely see anything about mentality in anyones write ups, it's always 40 times can drills, copied from someone elses evaluation, people that really watch and scout I think would do a great service adding what kind of heart and attitude a player plays with.

1. I never copy anyone else's write up.

2. I'm not sure how we're supposed to correctly determine a players heart and attitude based on a few videos or a full game recorded on TV.

If it's a case of just looking for guys with backstory -- we do that on the blog every single year. But actually determining who has genuine character, attitude and grit isn't easily done without visiting practises at various colleges during the season and speaking to coaches or speaking to team mates who happen to be part of this draft class.

original poster

Reaction score
As a fellow Englishman I enjoy your blogs above anyone else's, thanks for your hard work and fantastic understanding! It's one thing understanding the game and the team, it's a whole different thing to understand the draft and college prospects!

chris98251

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":30gayjbz said:
chris98251":30gayjbz said:
I rarely see anything about mentality in anyones write ups, it's always 40 times can drills, copied from someone elses evaluation, people that really watch and scout I think would do a great service adding what kind of heart and attitude a player plays with.

2. I'm not sure how we're supposed to correctly determine a players heart and attitude based on a few videos or a full game recorded on TV.

If it's a case of just looking for guys with backstory -- we do that on the blog every single year. But actually determining who has genuine character, attitude and grit isn't easily done without visiting practises at various colleges during the season and speaking to coaches or speaking to team mates who happen to be part of this draft class.

You were not a target, just the process is missing that aspect, that is the aspect of real scouting. I know the Mock enigma has created what we see today, the Mel Kipers developed sources and had tips, whether they were fed bread crumbs to mislead or actual truth is another story.

I think you can watch how a guy relates to his team, how he plays when ahead and when behind and get an idea of his heart and intangibles. How he plays when he isn't getting the ball or the play is going away from him, does he carry out the fake, hold his block, pursue when the ball is going away etc. That does take looking at multiple games and situations. One person trying to do it all in a 3 month or so window is almost impossible unless they do it as a full time job and have access to the film.

Pre Season is difficult to analyze, but you can see little things about players that set them apart, it's much harder then because nobody knows a lot and the schemes are basic and the players unfamiliar with each other also.

McGruff

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1gb5gfuu said:
chris98251":1gb5gfuu said:

I do think you can see passion on the field. Relentless play, whistle to whistle and side line to sideline. Are they competing every snap, active throughout. Those guys tend to jump out to me a lot. It's what I saw from Earl and Kam on their college tape. Aaron Donald, Sheldon Richardson and Kawaan Short all had it. I see it from Rankins and Butler. I see it in Trae Elston. On OL I see it in Conklin and Glasgow.

But without sitting in on interviews, that's all we have to go on.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
Just wanted to add the thanks for the great work you do. The blog above and the comments kept me engaged from Tottenham to Victoria on the Underground!!