oline combine winners

poplarbluffman

Reaction score
Jack Conklin, Jason Spriggs, Whitehair, Brandon Shell, Joe Haeg, Conner McGovern, Isaac Seumalo, Joe Thuney, Christian Westerman and Austin Blythe...teaas are askling Whitehair to play center or guard

I'd take Conklin or Spriggs over Stanley

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Conklin by far the big winner.

His tape was good, but he was always seen as a guy who played with effort and little athleticism. This showing probably puts him at or near the top 12 overall. It's a shame too, because I though he'd be very much in line with Seattle wanting to improve their toughness and smarts.

Beyond that, I'd say Haeg and Shell won (mostly because these were late 4th/to mid 6th round type guys heading in. They moved up with superior athleticism.

The other I would say really boosted himself is Ryan Kelly. He was considered the toughest/technically proficient player at center. With superior leadership skills and extremely valuable instincts. You can add best athlete to that as well. Honestly, I like him much better than I liked Travis Frederick. He may not go in the first round. But he'll play like he should have.

This is a great draft if you want a center. Kelly/Martin both look like R1 caliber OCs. Other good options in late day 2 and day 3.

OP
OP
P

poplarbluffman

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1aao6r4z said:

His tape was good, but he was always seen as a guy who played with effort and little athleticism. This showing probably puts him at or near the top 12 overall. It's a shame too, because I though he'd be very much in line with Seattle wanting to improve their toughness and smarts.

Beyond that, I'd say Haeg and Shell won (mostly because these were late 4th/to mid 6th round type guys heading in. They moved up with superior athleticism.

The other I would say really boosted himself is Ryan Kelly. He was considered the toughest/technically proficient player at center. With superior leadership skills and extremely valuable instincts. You can add best athlete to that as well. Honestly, I like him much better than I liked Travis Frederick. He may not go in the first round. But he'll play like he should have.

This is a great draft if you want a center. Kelly/Martin both look like R1 caliber OCs. Other good options in late day 2 and day 3.
agree about Kellys workout didn't care much for him but I'll have to give him another look now...lot of good centers..Martin had a solid but great workout

penihawk

Reaction score
Personally if we go O-line with our 1st choice I prefer Kelly over the 4th or 5th tackle. I think he will be a pro bowl caliber player and start right away.

firebee

Reaction score
penihawk":1sq7j397 said:
Personally if we go O-line with our 1st choice I prefer Kelly over the 4th or 5th tackle. I think he will be a pro bowl caliber player and start right away.

Personally, I really hope we trade down. I think we could still pick up Kelly 5-10 picks down on the board and we'd pick up an extra pick or two later in the draft. Since I'm liking a lot of guys that are projected 2nd and 3rd day picks more than I like the guys that are projected 1st day picks, TRADE. Worst case scenario, we'll have Coleman, Billings or the likes to choose from someone jumps on Kelly before we do.

I do agree with you though. Kelly's my choice with our first pick after a trade down. Even if he's not with the gameplan enough to start at Center and make the right calls, he's still a fit at guard for us and could be used as such his rookie year while get gets in tune with the schemes here.

As for OT... Bradley Sowell in free agency and then I wouldn't mind seeing us grab Nembot as a developmental project in the later rounds. Haeg's starting to look like a real option too. Wasn't sure how he'd measure up, but he's measuring up nicely. Cooper disappointed me, but on the plus side with him... He has a ton of room to physically improve.

penihawk

Reaction score
firebee":14cz073t said:
penihawk":14cz073t said:

Personally, I really hope we trade down. I think we could still pick up Kelly 5-10 picks down on the board and we'd pick up an extra pick or two later in the draft. Since I'm liking a lot of guys that are projected 2nd and 3rd day picks more than I like the guys that are projected 1st day picks, TRADE. Worst case scenario, we'll have Coleman, Billings or the likes to choose from someone jumps on Kelly before we do.

I do agree with you though. Kelly's my choice with our first pick after a trade down. Even if he's not with the gameplan enough to start at Center and make the right calls, he's still a fit at guard for us and could be used as such his rookie year while get gets in tune with the schemes here.

As for OT... Bradley Sowell in free agency and then I wouldn't mind seeing us grab Nembot as a developmental project in the later rounds. Haeg's starting to look like a real option too. Wasn't sure how he'd measure up, but he's measuring up nicely. Cooper disappointed me, but on the plus side with him... He has a ton of room to physically improve.

Ya I hear you on the trading back thing if we go with Kelly or the second tier of OT. The problem in this draft is finding a trade partner that wants to jump up and a player worth doing so. I would think it would be one of the teams up top passing on a QB early and then wanting to jump in front of a team in front of them in rd 2. We will see what happens. i really hope we get some help at OT in FA.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Conklin and Spriggs definitely did the best businesss. I think they passed Decker and are likely both going in the first.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
penihawk":22thkafi said:

In this draft, I definitely disagree.

The difference between Kelly and any one of the likely available guys in R3 is pretty small. Kelly could be great. But I'd much rather have a Robbie Tobeck type OC in the third, with a legitimate OT in the first. If we do as you suggest, we're basically getting a Justin Britt type of project who is very likely to have to start at some point this season for us. That's no bueno.

Remember, Seattle grades relative to the team. Glasgow/Martin/Allen/Westerman are being graded against Patrick Lewis. Not Ryan Kelly. And I like any of those four guys comparing them to Travis Frederick who was taken by Dallas in R1 a couple years ago. Teams are going to get NFL starter quality players in R3 at center.

The reality of it is, with this deep of an OC class, you don't need a pro bowl caliber OC. Getting a good OC worth a second deal like Unger is absolutely fine. Seattle's roster is full of guys that weren't the top player at their position in their class.

firebee

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":gjpx8fva said:
penihawk":gjpx8fva said:

The difference between Kelly and any one of the likely available guys in R3 is pretty small. Kelly could be great. But I'd much rather have a Robbie Tobeck type OC in the third, with a legitimate OT in the first. If we do as you suggest, we're basically getting a Justin Britt type of project who is very likely to have to start at some point this season for us. That's no bueno.

Remember, Seattle grades relative to the team. Glasgow/Martin/Allen/Westerman are being graded against Patrick Lewis. Not Ryan Kelly. And I like any of those four guys comparing them to Travis Frederick who was taken by Dallas in R1 a couple years ago. Teams are going to get NFL starter quality players in R3 at center.

The reality of it is, with this deep of an OC class, you don't need a pro bowl caliber OC. Getting a good OC worth a second deal like Unger is absolutely fine. Seattle's roster is full of guys that weren't the top player at their position in their class.

Personally, I think Haeg just went way up on our radar. One of the biggest questions I had about him revolved around how he measures up because he played at a small school, but the physical measurables are proving that he's comparable to the likes of Spriggs, Conklin and Coleman. Then their's Nembot out of Colorado... So much god-given physical ability. I'm really interested in seeing how he comes along the next couple of years in the NFL. He could become an absolute wrecking machine after a year or two of NFL coaching.

Davidess

Reaction score
Honestly I don't see what a lot are seeing in spriggs. Wonder if GMs go back and look at tape after combine testing. Spriggs game tape isn't that good. Sure he tested out as an athletic "freak" but his game strength is surely lacking. Definitly needs time to develop.

If we go Oline it should be a inside Oline-man. This isn't a draft that you reach for a OT. Conklin most likely wont be there and Shon Coleman could slide to the 2nd especially since he wont be participating in his pro day or Combine.

OP
OP
P

poplarbluffman

Reaction score
rewatched a couple games and still feel comfortable with my 1st grade on Kelly...reminds me of Barrett Jones that the Rams drafted in 4th rd..3 position all SEC who was a total bust at St Louis...Kelley really falls of blocks/on the ground way too often for me..position blocker struggles on the 2nd level but does a really nice job of flipping his hips and ceiling off dlinemen

Boehm and Skura actually move people and I have higher grades on both then Kelly.. still if I'm looking at drafting a g/c high Whitehair has all pro potential at eiither position. Think I'd still go Henry and and either Boehm/Skura later

endzorn

Reaction score
firebee":wmb89gac said:
Attyla the Hawk":wmb89gac said:
penihawk":wmb89gac said:

Personally, I think Haeg just went way up on our radar. One of the biggest questions I had about him revolved around how he measures up because he played at a small school, but the physical measurables are proving that he's comparable to the likes of Spriggs, Conklin and Coleman. Then their's Nembot out of Colorado... So much god-given physical ability. I'm really interested in seeing how he comes along the next couple of years in the NFL. He could become an absolute wrecking machine after a year or two of NFL coaching.
Haeg had a great showing in 3-cone and broad jump which indicates agility and explosion. He could be a mid-late round steal. He's 6'6 with arms just shy of 34". I'd love to see them groom that kid to be our right tackle.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":2mu187cy said:

I'm curious as to how Shell impressed anyone. Not a knock on the guy, but he pulled up lame on his first 40 and was done for the day.

OP
OP
P

poplarbluffman

Reaction score
Seanhawk":2g5or57r said:
Attyla the Hawk":2g5or57r said:

I'm curious as to how Shell impressed anyone. Not a knock on the guy, but he pulled up lame on his first 40 and was done for the day.
also curious about the lack of buzz....really like him and he keeps checking off the boxes

Seanhawk

Reaction score
poplarbluffman":1k9k4xiq said:
Seanhawk":1k9k4xiq said:
Attyla the Hawk":1k9k4xiq said:

also curious about the lack of buzz....really like him and he keeps checking off the boxes

I think you misunderstood. I'm asking how he moved up with superior athleticism at the combine if he pulled up on his first 40 and didn't compete the rest of the day.

firebee

Reaction score
endzorn":1l1rvk9c said:
firebee":1l1rvk9c said:
Attyla the Hawk":1l1rvk9c said:
penihawk":1l1rvk9c said:

Haeg had a great showing in 3-cone and broad jump which indicates agility and explosion. He could be a mid-late round steal. He's 6'6 with arms just shy of 34". I'd love to see them groom that kid to be our right tackle.

Hmm... I project Haeg as a better fit for LT, as he seems to have the agility and quick explosion better suited for pass protection. He's also a little light and not a real road grader in the running game, which we typically require of our RT. Not saying he wouldn't turn out to be a good RT, as I think he'd be a good prospect to swing and possibly step in on the weakest side, but I see him as a better pass pro tackle with light feet and good explosion to stay with the quicker edge rushers that usually come off the weakside than the powerful mauler type that usually faces off against the stronger power rushers on the right side and run blocks. I know... length of arms, but does anybody seriously think that's the end all - be all to what our FO looks for at any position on the line. If that's the case, it's no wonder our line sucks and we draft horribly. We're passing on players that are much better fit to play a position than others over a metric that pales in comparison to a lot of the other attributes you look for in a lineman.