Oklahoma St DE/LB Emmanuel Ogbah

cover-2

Reaction score
Oklahoma St DE/LB Emmanuel Ogbah has that "first guy off the bus" body type and has the upside to be a disruptive force to opposing teams offense. I think he could be a good option for us in the 1st round. Ogbah is 6-4 273 lbs with 35.5 inch arm length! Some games he looks like at top-10 prospect and others where he looks like just a guy. I watched him early on this past season and wrote him off because he didn't flash a quick first step and looked stiff. But, last night I went back and looked at a few of his other games and I liked what I saw. He flashes very good quickness, closing speed, and is very powerful. He doesn't always come firing off the snap, but when he does OT's need to be wary of his transfer of speed to power. His speed to power combined with his arm length allow him drive OT's back into the pocket. He has a good motor that allows him to make plays. While I love his first step quickness, he is just so raw as a pass rusher. Ogbah tries to win with bull rush, speed, a rip move, but that's pretty much it. No swim move, spin move, he will on occasion use a rip move. He is also stiff and hasn't shown the balance, body control to dip his shoulder to get low and turn the corner. If he can develop as a more refined pass rusher then watch out!

Ogbah played all along the defensive line, he mainly lined up at RDE but also got a lot of reps at LDE, rush OLB, and DT. He wasn't very effective when lined up at DT and I am more intrigued with as an OLB. If he does fairly well with his on the field drills by showing he is a more fluid athlete than what people are giving him credit for, then I would love to see him on our defense in the Bruce Irvin role. He would be a super-sized SAM LB and he could also help getting after the QB as a DE. Anyways, Ogbah is a boom or bust prospect, but I think he is going to show his explosiveness today at the combine. He should test really well on the broad jump, vertical jump, he should have a very good 10-yard split, but the three cone drill not so much.

Ogbah's stats from the last two years...
- tackles: 113
- sacks: 24
- tackles for loss: 34.5
- pass broken up: 9 (thanks to the vines for arms)
- forced fumbles: 4

[youtube]wjqwrJy16RE[/youtube]

[youtube]p_90n1pEORE[/youtube]
Ogbah flashes a number of times vs. K-State
- at 3:52 Ogbah bull rushes LT Cody Whitehair back into the QB.
- at 4:13 he beats the RT with speed and a rip move to get a hit on the QB.
- at 6:06 he bull rushes the LG putting him on skates thus collapsing the pocket.
- at 6:42 Ogbah flashes great quickness at the snap and uses his speed and a rip move to get past the RT.
- at 7:30 he powers through the LG for a sack.
- at 8:43 Ogbah fires off the snap and uses his hands to keep the LT from getting on him, thus allowing him to get a hit on the QB.
- at 8:57 he beats the RT to the corner, pressures the QB to get off his spot, which then allows his teammate to get a sack.

5619bb2a34b0d.image.jpg

Oklahoma State Emmanuel Ogbah

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
He clearly has every physical trait tou could ask for. A bit inconsistent in college but it is going to come down to, can they fiz that inconsistency? He has all the tools to be an all pro if he puts it together. I wouldn't be upset if they took him.

Erebus

Reaction score
hburn21":1uerqsfy said:
He killed it on the 40 yard and his 10 second split a 4.62 and a 1.59 split

Considering the overall lack of elite talent in this class, I think these numbers put Ogbah in consideration for being our first round pick. The only other DE with a sub 1.6 10 yard split was Charles Tapper. If they want an elite 10 yard split from a pass rusher, then Ogbah and Tapper are the two best choices. Unlike Ogbah, I haven't heard any first round buzz from Tapper.

MB12

Reaction score
He also had the second best vertical for d-lineman with a jump of 35 and a half inches

kearly

Reaction score
How the hell did a guy with those tools and 24 sacks over two years for a major program fly under the radar so much? I don't get the draft process sometimes.

Whitehair is one of the better OL in this draft, and he looked overmatched vs. Ogbah.

CPHawk

Reaction score
kearly":34agj5j6 said:
How the hell did a guy with those tools and 24 sacks over two years for a major program fly under the radar so much? I don't get the draft process sometimes.

Whitehair is one of the better OL in this draft, and he looked overmatched vs. Ogbah.

He takes lots of plays off. But, if you can get him to put the effort in on every play, he would be a steal.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
kearly":3ck7niyu said:

He was high on the draft radar before this past season. I think a lot of people including myself watched him early on and didn't initially see his explosivenes and may have turned off the tape too early.

His combine numbers verify what I had seen on tape, an explosive prospect.

kearly

Reaction score
CPHawk":2lwepl7t said:
He takes lots of plays off. But, if you can get him to put the effort in on every play, he would be a steal.

Fair point. Ogbah's effort is fine when he's in on a play, but once the ball is by him or once the action shifts to the other side of the field, he quits.

He reminds me of Quinton Coples but with a lot more physical talent.

Would still be super excited to get him. His effort is there when it matters, enough to get him 24 sacks over the past two seasons. And maybe Pete and the guys in the Hawks locker room get get him to show more hustle.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
kearly":2lmw5glz said:
CPHawk":2lmw5glz said:

Fair point. Ogbah's effort is fine when he's in on a play, but once the ball is by him or once the action shifts to the other side of the field, he quits.

He reminds me of Quinton Coples but with a lot more physical talent.

Would still be super excited to get him. His effort is there when it matters, enough to get him 24 sacks over the past two seasons. And maybe Pete and the guys in the Hawks locker room get get him to show more hustle.

IMO I don't think his effort or motor is nearly as bad as Coples was or as Oakman's is. His motor is a bit inconsistent, but I wonder if that has more to due with the fact that he rarely comes off the field. Even the best DE's need to rotate so they can stay fresh throughout the game.

Side note: I also like that when Ogbah makes a tackle he hits with so much violence. He hits dudes with bad intentions.

Clark and Ogbah on the same d-line would be fun to watch, RB's wouldn't stand a chance running past them. Arm length for days!
FrankClark.jpg
55b7c62dbfcf0.image.jpg

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Seattle did interview him at the combine.

Ogbah is physically right where we like our pass rushers. Super long, super fast and super quick.

In normal years, I'd have put him down as a high probability pick. And I still can definitely see the interest. He flashes pure dominance. Is consistent and it generally appears motor driven.

This year Seattle has made a real point to try and get back to being the bullies of the league. Seeking edgier players. Toughness (in the name of grit) has been the talking point calling card. A fully motivated and rehabilitated Ogbah certainly would fulfill the bully aspect. Bigger, stronger, faster? Absolutely.

But if we're looking at adding gritty players, then Ogbah doesn't tickle those traits At least in his current form. But let's be real. If he weren't accompanied by some kind of baggage, then he's a top 12 kind of pick and we'd be talking about Noah Spence instead. Physically he's dominant. Statistically he more than satisfies our production standard.

Lot to like. Definitely if you get to him and reach his ceiling it's a very high one at that.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
Ogbah is my favorite prospect coming out of the combine. Elite athlete combined with production in college. Are there questions about motor? Maybe but if there wasn't he wouldn't be in the the Seahawks range.