FS-Justin Simmons, a stat. outlier?

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I've looked back at both the current combine & last years and I see a significant abnormality with this guy. He has played both CB & FS and IMO his only slightly negative #'s are his lower weight and the 40 time. However, I think he could be a good round 6/7 or so pick for the Seahawks as a hybrid DB if he can gain weight & muscle. NOTE: the 3-cone and shuttle times that are very near the best in the last two combines. The below link shows the graph for him from mockdraftable.com comparing him to this years safety class, his agility #'s would be at or near the top if compared to this years CB's. as well. See: http://www.mockdraftable.com/player/8182/

FS-Justin Simmons, Boston College, 6-021/202, 4.61/40, 1.62-10-yd split, 32-5/8"-arms, 9-5/8"-hands, BP=16, VJ=40.0", BJ=126", 3-cone = 6.58, 20-yd shuttle = 3.85, 60-yd shuttle = 10.84.

Career Production (50-games): 229-Tkls/165-solo, 4-TFL, 1-Sack, 4-FF, 4-FR, 22-PBU, 8-INT. (5-INT in 2015).

I'd think when the spark #'s are finalized & posted for DB's, he'll be near the top and probably would be a nice piece of the puzzle for at least the practice squad. To me, I've noticed that the Seahawks seem to value quickness, balance, agility & body control a lot in their DB's & WR's.. I think his combine #'s show those qualities in spades and a good guy for further coaching & development.

cover-2

Reaction score
Good post!

Looking at his size, production, and performance at the NFL combine, I have a hard time believing he will be available in the 6th or even 5th round. I do like him as potential CB for the Seahawks. Let him continue to develop as a CB and let him play FS if Earl goes down with a injury. I'd be good if we could get him as early as the 4th round.

[youtube]V08z_iotr0I[/youtube]

[youtube]Q7GafIsQfAs[/youtube]

OP
OP
CamanoIslandJQ

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
http://3sigmaathlete.com/rankings/ds/

Just as I thought, my 3 favorite Safety picks are at the top of the S spark rankings. The Seahawks need one or more of these guys.

1. Justin Simmons, 134.9 spark (a developmental Kam replacement?) Pick: Rd-5, #172?
2. Sean Davis, 134.6 spark (a developmental ET replacement) Pick: Rd-3, #90?
3. Miles Killebrew, 123.9 spark.(a developmental deathbacker?) Pick: Rd-3, #98?

Considering past history, The hawks picked RW in round 3, even though they just got Flynn. The Hawks picked Michael in round 2 as a potential Beastmode replacement. There are probably a couple of other draft choices that were more about the future than the present. This line of thought leads me to the idea that the Hawks MAY want to find core player replacements ahead of need. I think we saw some major concerns when both ET and Kam were hurt late last season. It would seem to me the long range planning priority would be to find developmental players at FS & lesser so at SS as McCray has done pretty well there. Whoever is ET's backup should be replaced with a better prospect at the very least. I think the logical ET replacement is Sean Davis. SEE: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=FS

Hawks46

Reaction score
It wouldn't hurt to find a potential Thomas replacement.

I really hate to say it, but he never looked like the same player after the shoulder injury. I hope he's 100% this next year, but if not, we might have to come to terms with the fact that he might never be quite the player he was.

Adding quality depth that could eventually take over for him, or be an injury replacement, wouldn't hurt. Especially if the guy can add to the depth at CB.

titan3131

Reaction score
I see him as a nickel corner starter.

Would be the quickest way in the field for him on our team.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
titan3131":qjcj7we3 said:

I see him ideally suited for that role. Ideally as in he could break the slot corner mold in much the same way that Browner/Sherman did when they were brought on board.

He already has the size and length that would make him top shelf slot corner. Close to our ideal size on the outside. But it's his agility/change of direction skills that is most compelling to me. He easily tops the SS/3 cone scores by almost half a second in each. Even when compared to the straight up corners in this draft. I wouldn't be shocked if his SS/3 Cone aren't in the top 3 of any position going back 6 years. I'll check on that later.

The slot corner has to be able to cut quickly and change direction instantly. Keeping up with the change of direction that the Tavon Austins and John Browns in this division will present. Simmons is great at that even at the NFL level. The fact he can do it at that high level while being taller and longer than slot receivers he'd face is a complete mismatch in his favor.

His straight line speed is going to be an issue that for teams looking at him as a FS will cause him to drop. But if you are looking for a slot corner to mold -- you'd be looking at one of the best athletic profiles in years to groom.

Beyond the insane SPARQ score -- Simmons gives us much needed depth at a critical role on this team. I could actually see him being one of those "can't leave the draft without" kinds of players for these reasons.

titan3131

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3vg2a2tk said:
titan3131":3vg2a2tk said:

I see him ideally suited for that role. Ideally as in he could break the slot corner mold in much the same way that Browner/Sherman did when they were brought on board.

He already has the size and length that would make him top shelf slot corner. Close to our ideal size on the outside. But it's his agility/change of direction skills that is most compelling to me. He easily tops the SS/3 cone scores by almost half a second in each. Even when compared to the straight up corners in this draft. I wouldn't be shocked if his SS/3 Cone aren't in the top 3 of any position going back 6 years. I'll check on that later.

The slot corner has to be able to cut quickly and change direction instantly. Keeping up with the change of direction that the Tavon Austins and John Browns in this division will present. Simmons is great at that even at the NFL level. The fact he can do it at that high level while being taller and longer than slot receivers he'd face is a complete mismatch in his favor.

His straight line speed is going to be an issue that for teams looking at him as a FS will cause him to drop. But if you are looking for a slot corner to mold -- you'd be looking at one of the best athletic profiles in years to groom.

Beyond the insane SPARQ score -- Simmons gives us much needed depth at a critical role on this team. I could actually see him being one of those "can't leave the draft without" kinds of players for these reasons.

Attyla I respect your opinion so much, And seeing you unequivocally agree with me gave me the biggest smile on my face!

I really think we could steal him in our CB sweet spot round. (5th RD?)