Charone Peake, WR, Clemson

kearly

Reaction score
[youtube]Z3zVHRJZx3k[/youtube]

I'm not hyped on the guy, but it's probably worth remembering his name in round 4 or 5.

6'2⅜"
4.45 forty
34" arms
35.5" vertical jump

His best looking plays tend to be on come-backer bubble screens and deep routes against soft single coverage. He's not very physical and doesn't have much heart for the game... not much of a football player really... but he looks the part physically. Kind of reminds me of Braylon Edwards (Seahawks version).

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I think he definitely fits into the late round wr group with guys like Thomas (USM), Lawler, Cajuste, etc.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I see him as a Lockette doppleganger.

He's a tall receiver with good speed (not Lockette speed). But for a WR, he has exceptional physical demeanor. Schneider indicated he wanted to get tougher and reestablish the bully aspect on this team.

Peake is uniquely fit for that. He plays with an edge that screams Seahawk. If we want to recapture the Lockette/Browner edge on ST -- Peake would fill that need.

I would speculate he's very high on our list of prospects. Namely because he'll come with a day 3 price. But also because he's not coming in to replace a Kearse or to vie for the starting lineup. He's here as a project player (which his physical testing is sufficient). But he'd be a direct and immediate competitor for the 6th WR slot.

Kevin Smith has some ST value. But if Kasen Williams is going to remain on the team then either he's going to have to vie for and win the #4 WR position, or he's going to have to shine on special teams. Peake is a stereotypical 'add competition' pick for that purpose.

I do think that whatever project WR we select, it'll be with a primary nod to ST value. Not merely a WR project who can only play offense.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Why doesn't it surprise me to see that Kearly is identifying this prospect? :th2thumbs: I've been starting to look at Peake the last couple of weeks or so as well. Wasn't ready to post about him yet, but it's affirming to what I was thinking to have the great Kearly start such a thread of attention to this player. So, I'll agree with Kearly to not forget this name.

I think Peake is underrated. Runs that "tunnel screen" very well. I liked how he had the wherewithal to come back towards his QB (at the 3:20ish) mark on that particular one because there was a LB lurking in the area if he would have just sat. Peake seems to know how to find space and be a clear target. He's just flat out a football player, not just a WR.

Bonus: "Peake" is a good name for a Seattle WR. ;)

I like this draft. There's some cool prospects and I think it's a deeper overall draft than what some are saying. I think there's going to be a good bumper crop of talent that sticks in the league from this draft class as well as perhaps some UDFA's.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Watching that video again one pro that jumps off the screen is his physicality. He finishes catches like a RB. Lowers his shoulder and gets that extra yard or three. The biggest con I see is his effort on running plays away from. Multiple he effectively stood out of his stance and didn't move at all. I still would love him as a later rd pick after we have grabbed a few OL/DL guys.

getnasty

Reaction score
Clemson WR's have a pretty nice track record of late. Not saying Peake has that kind of talent but certainly has all the measurables.

cover-2

Reaction score
He has the size and speed that is very intriguing. With Ricardo Lockett no longer signed with the team, Peake could possibly replace him. Peake compares favorably to R. Lockett, similar in size and speed. We don't currently have a WR with Peake's size, speed, and upside. Peake was rated as the 6th best WR coming out of high school, but never lived up to his potential. Looking at him he doesn't look like he is great at high pointing the ball and I have read the knock on him is his drop rate is a bit high. But, the kid is worth taking a flier on later in the draft.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
Just in the last few years, Clemson has produced DeAndre Hopkins, Sammy Watkins, and Martavis Bryant.

I'm not hyped on Peake, but he has the tools of a much higher pick than his current projection. Seems like Clemson has toolsy WRs coming out their ears lately.

cheese22

Reaction score
He looks like one of many who could be that tall, fast and late round receiver many on here are asking for. It's a bit of a crap shoot on which will pan out in the long term but coming from the SEC is a check in the plus column. There's a few others I really like along with Peake. Those are Cajuste, Lawler and Garrett. Any one from that bunch and I'd be pretty optimistic.

Hope this doesn't come off like a hijacking.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
cheese22":30fwtt2r said:
He looks like one of many who could be that tall, fast and late round receiver many on here are asking for. It's a bit of a crap shoot on which will pan out in the long term but coming from the SEC is a check in the plus column. There's a few others I really like along with Peake. Those are Cajuste, Lawler and Garrett. Any one from that bunch and I'd be pretty optimistic.

Hope this doesn't come off like a hijacking.

Clemson is a ACC programme not SEC.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I was actually reading about this guy earlier today. Seems like he has all the measurables but his hands are a big question mark.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
SeatownJay":19l9tgeo said:
I was actually reading about this guy earlier today. Seems like he has all the measurables but his hands are a big question mark.
Yeah, I read that somewhere as well. But, those reports gotta find something to be negative about. It may be nothing. Maybe a couple of bad balls were thrown his way and those were the passes the evaluation is commenting about. That would be irresponsible, but we all experience the opinions about the Seahawks team by writers that don't actually watch the games... only the box scores.

Kearly has mentioned it twice. He's not "hyped" on this player. I think the purpose of the OP is identifying a player that might be a worthwhile mid to later round pick - and one that perhaps might be getting overlooked. Not that Peake is a flawless prospect.

If anyone watches enough film on him to comment further about hands/drops, that might be a worthwhile update.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":2aqennvz said:
Kearly has mentioned it twice. He's not "hyped" on this player. I think the purpose of the OP is identifying a player that might be a worthwhile mid to later round pick - and one that perhaps might be getting overlooked. Not that Peake is a flawless prospect.

After following the draft for so long, I got tired of falling in love with players who would go to other teams 99% of the time. So now I pretty much just focus on players I think Seattle will have on their radar. There's always time later to fall in love with players after they are drafted by Seattle.

Peake reminds me of Braylon Edwards (Seahawks version) and to a lesser extent, Chris Matthews. I think that Seattle will be looking to add that type of WR this year. If not in the draft than from another avenue. That's why I think it's worth keeping an eye on Peake.

As far as what I think of him, I like that he's a hands catcher with good running instincts and some physicality. I like that he has the speed and size to be a matchup issue on the deep ball. I think he is UDFA caliber in terms of route running and effort. I think he'd need to go a team like Seattle to have much value in the NFL. It's hard to love him, but his fit here is undeniable and his tools are outstanding.

Would I draft him? Probably not. He has no instincts for high pointing the deep ball. If you are going to throw deep in his direction, it needs to hit him in stride uncontested. And his effort away from the ball is really, really bad. But I think Seattle will think they can coach those areas up and be enticed by his upside.

Michael Thomas out of Southern Miss is the only WR I'm really pining for so far. I still need to look at a lot more receivers though.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I second that Michael Thomas pining. I really can't believe he's so under the radar. USM pro day on the 24th so we can see how he stacks up, not that I need any proof of his physical talent after that bowl game.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
kearly":29fip8jy said:
TeamoftheCentury":29fip8jy said:

After following the draft for so long, I got tired of falling in love with players who would go to other teams 99% of the time. So now I pretty much just focus on players I think Seattle will have on their radar.

Michael Thomas out of Southern Miss is the only WR I'm really pining for so far. I still need to look at a lot more receivers though.
Yeah, me too. I try to not get attached to any player. But, now Mike Thomas is going to challenge my resolve there. Whoa. I somehow had not given this kid a look. Oh my goodness. Oh... my... goodness. Thanks for pointing him out. I just showed some of his film to one of my sons and the first player he compared him to is OBJ. I see a bit of Dez Bryant or Michael Irvin, too.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Kearly,
Since another player was brought up, may I ask what you think of De'Runnya Wilson? I know any one of us might beat him in the 40. But, I just can't dismiss him as a player. He scores touchdowns. I just get a vibe about him that he could end up being a guy other teams wish they'd drafted. Not that the Hawks need yet another Wilson (I know the other is Willson everyone). Lol

I know the knocks on him. Yeah, yeah, yeah. He's just a football player. May not SPARQ out. But, I could see him just being a pest to other teams. Can't quite think of a comparison player.

Anyway, your thoughts?

McGruff

Reaction score
Jarvis Landry may be a decent comp for Wilson. Wilson is bigger and that's a plus, but their terrible combine and top production are eerily similar.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
McGruff":ql0qx7b6 said:
Jarvis Landry may be a decent comp for Wilson. Wilson is bigger and that's a plus, but their terrible combine and top production are eerily similar.
Hey McGruff! Thanks for chiming in. Always like to read what you say.
I guess in that sense they are similar. But, I would have never thought Jarvis Landry. Interesting.

I sorta see some Larry Fitzgerald in the kid (and not because of the hair or anything like that.)

McGruff

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":18avwbmy said:
McGruff":18avwbmy said:
Hey McGruff! Thanks for chiming in. Always like to read what you say.
I guess in that sense they are similar. But, I would have never thought Jarvis Landry. Interesting.

I sorta see some Larry Fitzgerald in the kid (and not because of the hair or anything like that.)

To be honest I haven't watched Wilson at all. The Seahawks won't draft him, so I kinda go "why bother." But based on this discussion I will give him a look.

I will also give a look at Peak and Thomas. I haven't really dug into WRS beyond Fuller and Doctson, cause I don't see a Huge need there.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
McGruff":1luy0567 said:
To be honest I haven't watched Wilson at all. The Seahawks won't draft him, so I kinda go "why bother.".

You don't think so? How is that? Ya never know what the Hawks might be thinking. Not sure any of us should be so bold to say players that would be available when they are in striking range shouldn't be in play. :Dunno: