SPARQ scores for offensive linemen

2_0_6

Reaction score
Germain Ifedi...Good lord what a physical monster.

6'5" 324lbs, 36" long arms and 10.8" hands.

OP
OP
H

hawknation2016

Reaction score
There are some other good athletes (Max Tuerk, Kyle Murphy) who are not listed because they have not completed their Pro Days yet.

OP
OP
H

hawknation2016

Reaction score
This is such a special class for OL talent. There are essentially five "Joel Bitonio" types in this draft, i.e. freak athletes who played LT in college but are projected to move inside because of their stalky frames and lack of arm length: Connor McGovern, Joe Thuney, Isaac Seumalo, Cody Whitehair, and Joe Dahl. Whitehair and Dahl are both very gifted in pass pro. Thuney, McGovern, and Seumalo are all proven at guard. I have heard the least hype about Seumalo, because of his injury history, but I have followed him throughout his career and he is indeed a really talented player.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Um .. What happens to Laramie Tunsell?

At Guard Joe Tuney is a good run blocker who is coming from a zone scheme. He was first team all America on some lists. He was the teams best pass protector as well but that's not saying much. That said though, when it comes to the Oline, maybe we should forget about sparq and just bring in guys who can block?

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Kind of surprised not to see Baylor Guard/TE LaQuan McGowen on this list as well. The kid is massive but agile.

titan3131

Reaction score
Here's how I want it to shake out

Conklin/ ifedi/ Coleman

McGovern/ glasgow/ Dahl

Pick 3 and let's roll.

firebee

Reaction score
hawknation2016":36dxom58 said:
There are some other good athletes (Max Tuerk, Kyle Murphy) who are not listed because they have not completed their Pro Days yet.

Based on this and what I know about our staff's tendencies, I could see our draft going a few ways.

#26 - Sheldon Rankins or Robert Nkemdiche, as DT is an issue with Mebane heading to San Diego and FA doesn't look good to us. Based on SPARQ, DL is ranked way higher than the OL in comparison. I prefer Rankins over Nkemdiche for a number of reasons. Similar build and play that's comparable to a young Mebane and no off-field issues to contend with.
I also think Rankins is more polished and his play is more consistent than Nkemdiche's. If Rankins is off the board, I think we roll the dice on Nkemdiche's character issues and hope the team can reign him in.. or maybe not. Maybe we go Jason Spriggs at OT... Highest SPARQ at OT and way more fundamentally sound than Ifedi. Darron Lee could be an option if he slides to us here, but I think it's not likely. Getting a little away from SPARQ, I'd probably be inclined to go Jack Conklin here.

#56 - We're going Connor McGovern here and pissing off everyone, including our own fans. We're going to hear about what a horrible reach this is from everybody, but it's going to happen. Brace yourselves. Here's the deal. We drafted Britt two years ago. Their is clearly a relationship between Cable and somebody at Missouri. Do you really think it's a coincidence they converted McGovern to the offensive line the same year we took Britt and do you think it's a coincidence that he has virtually every trait Tom Cable likes in an offensive lineman? A converted defensive lineman showing up in the draft with a wrestling background and the highest SPARQ out of any offensive lineman in the draft. It's almost like... He was groomed for Cable. If we went Spriggs in the 1st, we might take a shot at Nkemdiche if his character really causes him to slide or we might target Javon Hargrave in the 2nd and hope McGovern is still there for us at #90. Getting a little away from SPARQ, I might be inclined to go Willie Henry right here. SPARQ doesn't measure motor.

#90 - Joshua Perry and Travis Feeney are options here depending on what we're looking for. I'm favoring Joshua Perry. I think he's better fit to attack from the outside than work the middle like he did at Ohio St and he provides versatility to our linebacking corp. He edges out Feeney due to his body type, durability and physicality. He's thicker built and hasn't had a bunch of shoulder surgeries. He punishes when he tackles and he tackles well. Weatherly was also an option, but I don't like the way he gets off blocks and he's a liability in coverage. Perry's size, build and play reminds me of Patrick Willis and I think you can get that if he's coached up to play the outside and he's allowed to attack more as a pass rusher. I see Perry becoming a monster playmaker at OLB in our defense once he's comfortable and unleashed on the outside. We might grab McGovern here and push a pick on Perry or Feeney to #98 if we went Spriggs in the 1st and Hargrave in the 2nd, and McGovern's still on the board. Getting away from SPARQ, I think Blake Martinez might also be a consideration right here. Really like the way he's transformed his game from year to year. Like his possibilities on the outside.

#98 - If we went Spriggs, DT, McGovern, we'll go Perry or Feeney here, but I could see us going Dan Vitale here if we went DT, McGovern and Perry or Feeney at #90.... Whuuutt??? Backup RB to Rawls, FB, 3rd Down Back, Situational back... We're down to Rawls folks. We have no FB on the roster at the moment. Coleman and Tukuafu are FAs. We really don't have anybody at RB, but Rawls. Michael and Brown are both unsigned free agents. Dan Vitale can play as a FB or RB. Versatility, SPARQ and Need are all in line and we don't care about what everybody else thinks. He's a fit for our offense and would compliment Rawls perfectly. Cajuste could be another option, but he's less of a need now that Kearse is resigned. If we take Perry or Feeney here, we might still have a shot at Vitale in the 4th.

#125 - Again... This could be Vitale if Perry or Feeney was taken at #98. If we went Rankins in the 1st and McGovern in the 2nd, etc. and took Vitale at #98, I think Devon Cajuste is a likely target here if he's still on the board. It's hard to say... He's been flying up the boards on a lock of mock drafts and I've had a hard time landing him here, but I think he's the target for us in the 4th round. SPARQ, hands, run blocking and measurables all scream Seahawk. One of the only receivers in the draft that actually gives our receiving corp. a different element to work with. He's not in the Baldwin, Lockett, P-Rich small and quick mold. He's the big physical downfield jumpball guy that can outmuscle DBs for catches and outrun linebackers.

#172 - Sean Davis... A CB/S prospect that needs some work on his techniques, but he plays physical, he has the speed to stay with the best of them when he does transition well in coverage and, most importantly, he has a nose for the ball. Gets in on a lot of tackles, forces fumbles and pulls down interceptions. I think PC is drooling over getting his hands on this kid and working with him. I see a player PC could mold into a really really good corner or he might be a good fit at safety if he put on a little extra mass. Physicality along with SPARQ and his nose for the ball make him a gold pick.

#215 - I'm really liking Stephane Nembot... Functional power is amazing and his SPARQ score is going to be higher than what's listed here due to his recent Pro Day. He did much better on the Cones and with his running than he did at the combine. He was already topping the list of OTs with his functional upper body power. Size, length and athleticism all match what our FO seems to look for in an OT and the propensity of our FO to take players from Colorado leads me to believe that Nembot is, most likely, a high value target for them here. Brandon Shell is another guy to consider here, very very similar to Ifedi, which is why I don't favor drafting Ifedi early. No real major differences between him and Brandon Shell, but Shell will likely be a 3rd day pick vs. a 1st day pick. Nembot and Shell are the only two OTs left on the board that are high SPARQ with the emphasis on functional power and measurables our staff looks for at OT.

#223 - Beau Sandland or Ben Braunecker... I'm leaning towards Beau Sandland. He exhibits better receiving skills and he's as solid at run blocking as Braunecker is. With Graham in question and Willson being our only other option as a somewhat well-rounded reliable TE, drafting a TE with some upside that can possibly develop into a good all around TE is neccessary. I like Sandland more than I like Braunecker, but I'm comfortable taking Braunecker if Sandland isn't on the board. I've watched film on both of them, they're both about the same physically in just about every aspect, but Sandland looks like a better receiving TE on film against slightly better competition and their's really not a major difference in their run blocking. Sandland in the 7th right here would be a huge steal for us.

#245 - If we missed on Cajuste in the 3rd or 4th in this draft, I could see us drafting Marquez North here if he's still on the board. He has incredible SPARQ and measurables. His production doesn't really match up well and he seemed to underachieve at Tennessee for some reason, but I like the potential and think he could be a huge addition to our receiving corp. He's worth spending a 7th round pick on and seeing if he can be brought out of the slump he went into at Tennessee. If we landed Cajuste in the 3rd or 4th, I could see us going Connor Wojciak, instead of Marquez North... Why??? Because we have to get a high SPARQ defensive lineman for Tom Cable to convert to the offensive line in every draft or, at least, sign one as a UDFA. I can see us bringing in Wocjiak and trying to convert him to Center or OG. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
Connor McGovern has been at the top of my must have list for awhile ... and to me this about cements him as a player that Seattle will be interested in.

On the flip side, I'm absolutely stunned by how low they have Christian Westerman ranked. IMO, this guy is very athletic and quick ... and that in combination with his strength I believe would make him one of the top guards on that list.

Brandon Shell and Joe Haeg?!? Wow! I personally just don't see what they are seeing from these guys. I guess I need to go back and watch some more tape.

firebee

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":vflwagzt said:
Connor McGovern has been at the top of my must have list for awhile ... and to me this about cements him as a player that Seattle will be interested in.

On the flip side, I'm absolutely stunned by how low they have Christian Westerman ranked. IMO, this guy is very athletic and quick ... and that in combination with his strength I believe would make him one of the top guards on that list.

Brandon Shell and Joe Haeg?!? Wow! I personally just don't see what they are seeing from these guys. I guess I need to go back and watch some more tape.

These are strictly SPARQ scores... which are the tested physical abilities that determine someone's overall athleticism in comparison to other players based on their body type in combination with the speed, power and agility drills. This doesn't take things on film like technique, leverage and fundamental play into consideration. Even Though Spriggs SPARQ is way higher than Conklin or Stanley, Conklin and Stanley are viewed as the better players. You also have to take what traits a position favors into consideration and look at the film on a player to see how capable they are or how their physical abilities translate to the field. SPARQ doesn't measure play... Just athleticism.

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
firebee":xsc648oh said:
Hawkscanner":xsc648oh said:

These are strictly SPARQ scores... which are the tested physical abilities that determine someone's overall athleticism in comparison to other players based on their body type in combination with the speed, power and agility drills. This doesn't take things on film like technique, leverage and fundamental play into consideration. Even Though Spriggs SPARQ is way higher than Conklin or Stanley, Conklin and Stanley are viewed as the better players. You also have to take what traits a position favors into consideration and look at the film on a player to see how capable they are or how their physical abilities translate to the field. SPARQ doesn't measure play... Just athleticism.

Yes, I get all of that. I'm saying that I disagree with their ratings of Shell and Haeg, as I'm just not seeing their athleticism being as highly rated vs. that of the other prospects. I also personally see Westerman's athleticism being MUCH higher rated than they have him. That's just my personal opinion, that's all.

OP
OP
H

hawknation2016

Reaction score
Hawkscanner":3b1b6o0n said:
firebee":3b1b6o0n said:
Hawkscanner":3b1b6o0n said:

Yes, I get all of that. I'm saying that I disagree with their ratings of Shell and Haeg, as I'm just not seeing their athleticism being as highly rated vs. that of the other prospects. I also personally see Westerman's athleticism being MUCH higher rated than they have him. That's just my personal opinion, that's all.

For what it's worth, seeing Christian Westerman that low in SPARQ surprised me too. He did put up nice numbers on the bench press (34 reps with 33.5'' arms) and his 40 wasn't bad (5.17). But his shuttle, 3-cone, and broad jump were all below average. He also chose not to attempt a vertical jump, and then chose not to attempt to improve on his agility times at his Pro Day last week.

[youtube]fWHd6v-bXPY[/youtube]

xgeoff

Reaction score
titan3131":3jedy258 said:
Here's how I want it to shake out

Conklin/ ifedi/ Coleman

McGovern/ glasgow/ Dahl

Pick 3 and let's roll.

If we got Conklin and Glasgow I would literally do a cartwheel in my house...

DJrmb

Reaction score
Seattle has these SPARQ evaluations pretty well dialed in on corners, safeties, linebackers, receivers, running backs, and tight ends so far but both defensive and offensive line are two areas they are still tweaking to try and find the right formula it seems. I hope this is the year they get it right finally.

sc85sis

Reaction score
I wonder what Max Tuerk's numbers would have been had he been able to do the drills. He's still recovering from the knee injury he suffered last season.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Largent80":36a9yuru said:
This draft is perfect for us to restock the O-line.

Yep, a deep DL class full of athletic DL to move to OL.