Under the Radar Prospect -- Southern Miss WR Mike Thomas

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
With the re-signing of Jermaine Kearse, wide receiver wouldn’t appear to be as much of a priority for the Seahawks anymore. That said, if there is a weakness on this Seahawks team in terms of wide receivers, what is it? Most of us if we’re asked to identify that weakness will generally come back with one identifiable element – a guy who is a deep threat that has some speed and can cause opposing CB’s to back off.

But outside of the first couple of rounds, where would the Seahawks (if they were looking) be able to find such a weapon? One name that is still very much under the radar that I would submit to you is Southern Miss's Mike Thomas.

Mike Thomas? Isn’t that the guy who just ran a 4.43 second 40 at his Pro Day at Ohio State a few days ago? The receiver who some say might now be a 1st round consideration for some teams?

Wrong Mike Thomas.

There’s this guy …
16424286 mmmain

And then there’s this guy …
Heart%20of%20Dallas%20Bowl%20Foot-5.jpg

Husky fans will remember that guy as the one who caught 9 passes for 190 yards and 2 TD’s against the Washington secondary in the Huskies 44-31 victory over Southern Miss in the Heart of Texas Bowl back on December 26th.

OK, you’ve got my attention now – tell me more …

Well, I can tell you that while there are a few who have tuned their antennae towards him, others have yet to do so. He wasn’t invited to the combine and some experts felt that Thomas might have been the biggest combine snub in this draft class.

That’s a bit surprising, given that all Thomas did was finish his senior season with 71 receptions for 1,391 yards and 14 TD’s. He ended up leading all FBS receivers (who had at least 65 catches) with a 19.6 yards/reception average.

At the risk of traumatizing Husky fans again, here is some footage of Thomas against the Huskies this past year …
[youtube]u47wJqxlx00[/youtube]

Thomas declined playing in either the East-West Shrine Game or Senior Bowl, choosing instead to play in the NFLPA Game instead. He ended up catching 2 passes for 22 yards and had 2 kick returns for 50 yards in that game.

At 6’1” 190 pounds, Thomas is a receiver who possesses good size, has decent speed (reportedly runs a 4.5 in the 40), and has some traits that I believe the Seahawks could potentially find very intriguing …

Positives
Possesses good size, athleticism, and has the ability to get open. Thomas at times displays Tyler Lockett-like juke ability and change of direction, making opposing DB’s look stupid. Has some speed and can gain yards after the catch. Has a good ability to track the ball, can make leaping catches, and a good ability to be able to contort his body to make them. Can make the occasional insane “are you freaking kidding me?” catch. He had an Odell Beckham one-hander in the end zone this past year against Louisiana Tech.
[youtube]b_Gkz5wleJo[/youtube]

Is a willing physical blocker. He appears to have some ability to know when he has to run a comeback route and help his QB out. Led all FBS receivers with a 19.6 yards/reception among receivers with at least 65 catches.

Negatives
Consistency has always been the knock against him. Has had his share of occasional drops (especially on balls thrown too high or too low). It looks like he may experience some of those drops when he expects to get walloped. Has shown occasional difficulty hanging on to contested catches/through contact. Has good, but not great route running skills. This looks like an area that it looks like he can improve upon. Some scouts are worried about his frame and wonder whether or not he will be able to effectively deal with press coverage.

I’m not the only one who’s high on him, as this Lions writer from SB Nation is quite impressed by him as well. Check out some of the GIF’s he has on Thomas in his write-up …
http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2016/...report-nfl-draft-profile-southern-mississippi

Highlight Footage …

Mike Thomas Overall highlights …
[youtube]L5hq-x4_5UA[/youtube]

Mike Thomas against Nebraska this past year …
[youtube]kL61F9Ig8Nk[/youtube]

Mike Thomas against Louisiana Tech this past year …
[youtube]USQJzfoFgDM[/youtube]

Parting Thoughts and Overall Analysis …
Prior to this season, many had projected that Mike Thomas would go undrafted. Thanks to some impressive tape that he produced during his Senior year however, Thomas it looks like Thomas has vaulted himself in to the 7th round or possibly even as high as the 6th round. The fact that he was a Combine snub is pretty interesting, as there is a lot to like there. Thomas has his Pro Day coming up on March 24th, so it will be very interesting to see what numbers he ends up generating and how that affects his status. He shows decent speed, quickness, and athleticism on tape … and if he is able to generate solid numbers I can see Seattle being interested in him if he’s still on the board and available late in the draft. A receiver with size who’s shown a consistent ability to get deep, gain yards after the catch, make the occasional highlight reel catch, and challenge opposing DB’s I believe would very much interest the Seahawks if he can be had for a bargain basement price. I don’t have any inside info, but looking at this roster and the apparent need for a deep threat, I’d add the name of Southern Miss's Mike Thomas to the list of players the Hawks could be interested in late in the draft.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I developed a draft crush on Thomas while watching him shred the Husky defense in that bowl game. I'd love Seattle to take a 7th round flier on him.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Several posters here (myself included) have been hoping for this guy. I do think that if we want him it will probably take a 5th rd pick maybe a 4th. Hile he is under rated by a lot of people, I have seen a few places put him in their top 5 WR. I expect he goes in the 4th or 5th round.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":1szeo0vc said:
Several posters here (myself included) have been hoping for this guy. I do think that if we want him it will probably take a 5th rd pick maybe a 4th. Hile he is under rated by a lot of people, I have seen a few places put him in their top 5 WR. I expect he goes in the 4th or 5th round.
The question isn't whether "we" want him, but will the Hawks listen to us and draft him? :lol: Hopefully they (and only they) are scouring our boards looking for our advice on who to draft, right? I'm pretty sure that's been one of the Cardinals strategies to be able to compete in the division. They're combing our board. We need to be more incognito about the guys we really want... and need a Bat Phone to PC and JS.

Pete and John, put on the dark shades...
mib-o.gif

OP
OP
Hawkscanner

Hawkscanner

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":11ugdc4t said:

After having watched many drafts throughout the years, I have all but given up the idea of hard and fast predictions of where I believe players will actually get drafted. It's so very hard because no team's draft board is truly alike -- if you were to be able to get a peek at all 32, I virtually guarantee you that you'll find 32 different sets of evaluations. Teams all look at players through different lenses depending on what values are most important to them, how great they see Player X's weaknesses, etc. In the end it is such a crapshoot, as I've seen players who were projected to be 2nd and 3rd Round picks slide all the way down to the 6th round ... and guys who were projected to be 3rd rounders get drafted in the 1st. Happens every single solitary year.

IMO, absolutely I'd say that I could see Thomas get drafted in the 5th or even the 4th round. The thing is though ... is that I look at this draft class as a whole ... I see a whole lot of talent in to the 4th and 5th rounds. While there might not be a whole ton of superstars in that range, IMO the gap between players who will be drafted at the end of the 3rd round ... and those who will go at beginning of the 5th doesn't appear to be all that much. So, Thomas may be a 4th round talent who could find himself sliding down to the later rounds simply for that fact alone. Just my humble opinion. Personally, yeah I'd take a flier on him if he's still available late in the draft. We'll obviously see how this all plays out.

SomersetHawk

Reaction score
I really like him, but not to the extent I'll be upset if we don't land him (unlike some others). I guess he hit the radar for a lot around here with his performance against the Huskies, which was phenomenal. He's got some pretty ugly tape too though, a lot like Kearse in that he catches the tough ones and just drops some gimmes. I'm hoping that's just a concentration thing that can be cleaned up.

in terms of value for a WR though, you couldn't complain if we picked him up in the 3rd onwards. His ceiling is as high as anyone in this draft.

I still think there's a chance we go for Doctson though, maybe after trading back. That's my bold prediction.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":t51p3m6a said:
I really like him, but not to the extent I'll be upset if we don't land him (unlike some others). I guess he hit the radar for a lot around here with his performance against the Huskies, which was phenomenal. He's got some pretty ugly tape too though, a lot like Kearse in that he catches the tough ones and just drops some gimmes. I'm hoping that's just a concentration thing that can be cleaned up.

in terms of value for a WR though, you couldn't complain if we picked him up in the 3rd onwards. His ceiling is as high as anyone in this draft.

I still think there's a chance we go for Doctson though, maybe after trading back. That's my bold prediction.

Doctson is an amazing talent and maybe my favorite player in this draft overall but with our WR core looking steady and us having bigger needs at OT, OG, OLB and DT I'm not sure drafting a WR in the first is worth it.

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1bmwt9tf said:
I developed a draft crush on Thomas while watching him shred the Husky defense in that bowl game. I'd love Seattle to take a 7th round flier on him.
This, exactly. He was phenomenal vs a very good Husky defense.