Jonathan Bullard, DT, Florida

kearly

Reaction score
[youtube]w7Xff_dZ304[/youtube]

(Warning: gangsta rap highlight music.)

Was mentioned on Seahawks Draft Blog recently, but figured it could use a thread on .net.

Bullard is a snap count guesser who plays very aggressively, sometimes to the point of playing outside of scheme. But, he happens to be very athletic. 4.93 forty. 1.65 ten yard split. 32" vert. 9.8' broad jump. 285 pounds. The burst really shows on the highlights.

He's interesting because Michael Bennett is a famous example of a snap count guesser who made it work in the NFL, and Frank Clark was also a very aggressive player who would sometimes play outside of scheme to make a play. Both were comparable to Bullard in terms of size and athleticism.

He seems like the kind of player PC/JS would covet.

pcbball12

Reaction score
kearly":11j6c6vm said:
[youtube]w7Xff_dZ304[/youtube]

(Warning: terrible highlight music. Hitting mute is advised.)

Was mentioned on Seahawks Draft Blog recently, but figured it could use a thread on .net.

Bullard is a snap count guesser who plays very aggressively, sometimes to the point of playing outside of scheme. But, he happens to be very athletic. 4.93 forty. 1.65 ten yard split. 32" vert. 9.8' broad jump. 285 pounds. The burst really shows on the highlights.

He's interesting because Michael Bennett is a famous example of a snap count guesser who made it work in the NFL, and Frank Clark was also a very aggressive player who would sometimes play outside of scheme to make a play. Both were comparable to Bullard in terms of size and athleticism.

He seems like the kind of player PC/JS would covet.
Love Bullard man. Michael Bennett has been my comparison on him as well. Similar builds, both versatile and can play inside or out, and both like you said have a knack for timing the snap. I think him inside with Bennett in nickel situations would be an absolute load for teams to handle. I truly think if he makes it to 26 he's on a short list of guys we would take without thinking twice. Problem is, I don't know if I can see him falling to 26....especially after the combine he had. The knock on him was people didn't know if he was athletic enough, definitely proved that wrong.

I actually wrote about him for about.com as one of my underrated players in this draft. http://collegefootball.about.com/od/Blo ... tm#showall

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Bullard, while a terrific player is definitely a Round 2 pick, IMO.

I love him as a player, but he's kind of position-less. And while he tested really well, he's still 285 and didn't come close to putting on an Aaron Donald type performance. Combine that with a relatively deep DT class and I think he is firmly in R2.
I don't think he will be there at 56. I'd actually say there's no chance of that. So, you either trade back or trade up. I think this is the right year to trade up in R2, utilizing the extra 3rd rounder.

All that said, I'd stand pat in R2: My draft;

R1: OC Ryan Kelly or OL Germain Ifedi
R2: RB Kenneth Dixon
R3: LB Joshua Perry
R3: OL Westerman
R4: DT DJ Reader
R5: OL Fahn Cooper

Lots of capital on the OL. I prefer Kelly as I think a stud OC to pair with RW for the next 6-8 years is very appealing.

Kenneth Dixon has a ton of upside whilst being able to play on 3rd down. Rawls-Dixon is a scary combo.

Joshua Perry is a monumentally underrated player and I think he could be a stud SAM.

Westerman, Reader, Cooper provide beef in the trenches and are all relatively safe picks IMO. They may not be studs, but they are guys who definitely make the roster.

titan3131

Reaction score
I dont think that drafting a high position for a SAM role that is only on the field 50% of the time is something they will do...

Bruce was a bust as much as we love him.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I think calling Bruce a bust is very unfair. He turned into a good playmaker, even if he didn't become a stalwart in the pass rush department. Let's not forget how many 1st rounders there are that can't even contribute. Bruce was a well above average player on a great defense. Nothing to scoff at.

Regarding your comment on SAM, I totally agree. I just think Perry is that good of a talent that could possibly grow into more/provide great insurance to Wags and Wright.

titan3131":f6dxuprl said:
I dont think that drafting a high position for a SAM role that is only on the field 50% of the time is something they will do...

Bruce was a bust as much as we love him.

McGruff

Reaction score
Bullard has become sokething of a favorite of mine. In addition to his snap anticipation, there are two traits that I look for on film that Bullard shows repeatedly.

He pursues like a linebacker. He doesn't quit on play away from him or downfield. His athleticism and aggression shows when he chases.

He tackles like a man. He doesn't just let his weight bring guys down, he tosses them and sends them backward.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
It would makes sense to add a pass rushing DT if they feel they could get a 1-tech player like DJ Reader in the 4th round to play base D and let someone like Bullard focus on rushing the QB the other downs.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":1jvdyz47 said:
It would makes sense to add a pass rushing DT if they feel they could get a 1-tech player like DJ Reader in the 4th round to play base D and let someone like Bullard focus on rushing the QB the other downs.
Love the idea of Reader in either the 4th or our 3rd round comp pick.

OP
OP
kearly

kearly

Reaction score
I think he's interesting in the sense that I have no idea where his future is. Will he lose weight and try to be Michael Bennett? Will he gain weight and try to be a game-wrecker 1 tech like Brandon Mebane? Or will he stay at 285 and just be a sub-package guy?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
pcbball12":3m9os120 said:
Recon_Hawk":3m9os120 said:

Reader's being overrated a little bit -- I think because he plays for Clemson.

Tony Pauline has him graded as an UDFA. He's pretty tuned in.

I think he'll be there in R5-7 for sure. Pretty limited player.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":21q6ik6i said:
pcbball12":21q6ik6i said:
Recon_Hawk":21q6ik6i said:

I thought the opposite - that he was being overlooked because he played with so much talent around him. Personally, I think his tape is 4th round material. He's a little more of an athlete than some might think. He played multiple sports out of high school and even played baseball for Clemson his freshman year. He's got a questionable history. He quit football for half the season. That needs to be explained and could be why Pauline has him going undrafted. He's only a 2-down player, but for a team like Seattle who doesn't mind guys with specific roles I think he'd be a good fit.

getnasty

Reaction score
Love Bullard, dude has a great get off. I think that would be a steal in the second, but I think he'll be gone before that.

pcbball12

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":390b33k2 said:
pcbball12":390b33k2 said:
Recon_Hawk":390b33k2 said:

That's fine, however my opinion on him isn't based on what others think of him. I wouldn't consider myself a casual draft follower, it has been an extreme hobby of mine for years and in my spare time I usually evaluate close to 200 players a year (if the work schedule permits it, this year it has). I like his film a lot. Not a special player by any means, but plays with great strength and anchors very well in the run game. Has a high motor and plays with great tenacity. Think he would be a nice long term fit in the Mebane role. At least in rotation early on in career.

Not saying I am right on him and Pauline or you are wrong, just that my opinion is one that I came to from my own film breakdown.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
The thing is -- at this time of year everyone seems to be a R1-3 pick.

Some of these guys, even if you like them, are going to last.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Ya, I get that. I would much rather have him in the 4th or 5th, but would worry he will be gone by our pick in the 4th. I think his value is somewhere top to middle of round 4. Which is why I would nab him with our comp pick in the 3rd, or work a trade up in the 4th.

Of course, it's all relative to how the draft shakes out before that point. In a perfect world they took an OL or two already at this point and either a penetratig 3 tech type or edge rusher. Not saying blindly take him at that spot no mattrer the circumstance.

arghawkfan

Reaction score
I really like Bullard, I wonder if they could trade out of the 1st round and pick him up with an early 2nd and pickup an extra 4th in the process. If pressed to stand pat in the 1st, I may prefer Ogbah if both are still on the board and pickup Jovan Hargrave in the 2nd.

We could then focus on Oline depth in the middle rounds.