Jaylon Smith?

getnasty

Reaction score
If he's there in the second I hope we take him. He just seems very Seahawks to me, if our OL situation was better I would have no problem drafting him in the 1st.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
He'd be a great pick to replace Bruce Irvin. He's the athletic OLB that is great at pass rush, cover, and run stopper that fits the hole left at LB.

cheese22

Reaction score
I'd love to get him too, but isn't his injury supposed to be a major red flag?

ARhawk

Reaction score
Apparently its similar nerve damage to Marcus Lattimore's injury. Lattimore never recovered to a point where he was useful on the field. Not to say Smith is for sure never going to play again, but if his injury is really as serious as I've heard, it doesnt look good for him

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Possibly the best linebacker in this class but he's most likely missing this entire season and might not be able to ever play another snap of football in his life. It would be one of the biggest draft gambles ever.

firebee

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd rather see us take Joshua Perry in the 2nd or 3rd round. I think he was misused at Ohio St. and got stuck playing the middle because that was where Ohio St. needed him. I think he's much much better fit to play OLB in our defense where he gets to attack more vs. read and react in the middle.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Definitely no on 2nd round.

Basically, the way this draft is shaping up -- we should be able to get 4 starter quality players with our top 4 picks. That's based on the positions on our team that are upgradeable and the expected quality prospects at each of those positions.

Seattle could get two interior starters (improvements over Britt, Lewis or Sweezy's replacement) with both our 3rd round picks. Guys that literally should be better day one than what we have

Those picks are important.

The second round is pretty much where we have any realistic expectation to get a situational contributor at DT. Any later (R4+) and we're probably looking at PS types or guys that will be the 9th guy on the chart -- conceding playing time to Dobbs et al.

Seattle's defense was severely hampered by the absence of Hill's/McDonald's situational production in the pass rush. There are some guys that can provide that. Hill could also provide that. But right now we're left to wonder which year was the outlier? 2014 with 5 sacks. Or 2015 with 0 sacks. We can't leave it to just hope that he rebounds.

There are guys that will fill that void at 56.

Obviously the first round pick should be OT. It's a position that we've basically been trying to fill since 2011. And given all the drafts since then -- the supply of alpha talent for that position is almost universally acquired by pick 20 in every draft. This year is an anomaly -- there is talent that should still be there to the very end of R1.

Need and availability intersect in a rare way. Incredibly stupid if we don't take advantage of this rare economy of talent.

So I would definitely not advise taking on that risk before R4. There is just too much starter quality talent to be had in this otherwise weak draft. We are fortunate that our specific needs mirror almost perfectly the actual talent pool as well as how it generally looks to fall out position wise.

Sticking to the board and need -- this could be 2012 all over again for us. Jumping the shark and trying to be cute -- and we could Dion Jordan our draft pretty easily.

Basis4day

Reaction score
Take a late (l mean late) flyer with him if he sticks around.

2nd rd? Absolutely not.

cheese22

Reaction score
If we drafted him and he's able to recover, we have the best starting LB group in the league. Just saying.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
He may not be a great NFL player,it's not a given to anyone.The injury is a major red flag,It would be crazy to use the 2nd pick on someone who may never recover.