Baylor's Briles:Oakman will be a steal in 2016 NFL Draft

ivotuk

Reaction score
Baylor's Briles: Shawn Oakman will be a steal in 2016 NFL Draft

"He's a different cat. I wouldn't want to categorize him," Briles told NFL Network's NFL HQ on Wednesday. " ... Shawn has done an unbelievable job of staying very humble. He is a tremendous athlete with a tremendous frame. Whoever gets him, they're getting a steal in the draft, I can promise you that."

Oakman made 46.5 tackles for loss in three seasons at Baylor, but there are scouting questions about his consistency of effort and a rawness with his technique that led a scout to suggest as far back as November that Oakman is a third-day pick."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... -nfl-draft

I think he may be right. Maybe not a 1st round pick, but I would consider a late 2nd round pick, 3rd at the latest. He's no Devin Taylor (big man with small talent). I think he may be a talent that just needs some coaching and a challenge.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I can't think of a more high profile program that is so universally poor at preparing it's athletes for the NFL.

It's impressive really the level of unpreparedness that program fosters.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Oakman definitely looks the part, but doesn't always play the part.

Was my big draft crush a year ago and I'd still like him to be a seahawk after the 1st roubd

titan3131

Reaction score
this coach is on drugs.

Anyone with a physical training background can see how messed up oakmans feet / knees are. He has a worse case of duck foot then RG3 did. He is at a high risk for a ACL / MCL injury it will happen soon.

It is so bad it literally pains me to watch him do his drills... He has smaller legs then jesse williams chicken legs with no mass. He will break @ the nfl level very quickly.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Agree with above.

You never want to fully dismiss players from certain programs, but Baylor has been awful with NFL players, who are not WRs.

Corey Coleman will be a stud, and that's the only guy from that program that I have confidence in.

Oakman and Drango, while physically appealing...I wouldn't touch them.

cover-2

Reaction score
brimsalabim":1g7sfm0v said:

The Big Man is a bit of a "circus side show", big oversized TE that you just want to stare at to see what he can do. He isn't going to be anything special as a receiver or blocker. He got some reps at LT vs Clemson and he was a hot mess. While I wouldn't use a draft pick on him, I would give him a camp invite to see our coaching staff can make something of him.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
penihawk":mcvldfvd said:
He reminds me of Finch in the movie Wildcats.
FYI Finch was played by 450 lb Tab Thacker. He was a star wrestler and won an ncaa heavyweight title at NC State. It doesn't sound like the 400 lb Baylor TE has much of a shot though. Thanks for the info.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Why not convert that 405 lbs to the OL?What is there to lose trying