Jack Allen, C- Michigan State

Mojambo

Reaction score
I kinda feel like we have to come out of this draft with either Allen or Ryan Kelly.

Erebus

Reaction score
I haven't seen updated numbers from his pro day, but if Pete and John really do care about SPARQ, then Allen doesn't fit. His SPARQ score of 85.3 puts him in the bottom 10% of NFL centers. His SLA score puts him in the bottom 15%. I know athleticism isn't everything, but to me that seems too low and might disqualify him in Pete's and John's eyes. I assume he improved on his combine numbers, which would obviously improve his SPARQ and SLA.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
SPARQ doesn't seem to be particularly important to the OC position. If you go by the guys we've added to that position. Outside of DL convert types -- our athletic barometer for the position has been very meager.

Allen looks like a very solid plan C. In most years, he'd be that second tier prospect behind a guy with poor skills but tantalizing upside.

penihawk

Reaction score
A squaty wrestler with a nasty streak. I kinda like my center to have those trates to survive in the land of the bigs. Its too bad we aren't gonna have a chance to get the other Jack at Michigan state. :(

McGruff

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":37n9y14x said:
SPARQ doesn't seem to be particularly important to the OC position. If you go by the guys we've added to that position. Outside of DL convert types -- our athletic barometer for the position has been very meager.

Allen looks like a very solid plan C. In most years, he'd be that second tier prospect behind a guy with poor skills but tantalizing upside.

Nowak and Lem were both very Sparqy. Unger graded out average. Lewis is a lump of gelatinous goo.

chris98251

Reaction score
You want smarts and a good head on their shoulders at Center, average athletic ability is fine as long as you can anchor well and not be a revolving door, anything else becomes a bonus like pulling and getting to the second level. Lewis kind of fits this analogy on many levels. Why were looking for better, we find the athlete but not the brains.

firebee

Reaction score
I think Chris Collinsworth might've pulled a very Seahawky pick for us with Ryan Kelly in the 1st. Most expect us to go OT or DT in the 1st. Going Center that early would definitely draw criticism, but Kelly is one of the highest SPARQ offensive lineman in the draft and he played under Lane Kiffin, so terminology should be somewhat similar. It kind of makes sense, but I could see a lot of Hawk fans going batcrap over that pick if Spriggs or Conklin were still on the board.

chris98251

Reaction score
firebee":2kztho4l said:
I think Chris Collinsworth might've pulled a very Seahawky pick for us with Ryan Kelly in the 1st. Most expect us to go OT or DT in the 1st. Going Center that early would definitely draw criticism, but Kelly is one of the highest SPARQ offensive lineman in the draft and he played under Lane Kiffin, so terminology should be somewhat similar. It kind of makes sense, but I could see a lot of Hawk fans going batcrap over that pick if Spriggs or Conklin were still on the board.

Peyton Manning could be our pick and Hawk fans would go Batcrap, it's what we do.........................After all Ryan Leaf was there or Charles Woodson.

firebee

Reaction score
chris98251":2lnomybu said:
firebee":2lnomybu said:

Peyton Manning could be our pick and Hawk fans would go Batcrap, it's what we do.........................After all Ryan Leaf was there or Charles Woodson.

Hahaha.... Very true.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":1foupkwl said:
SPARQ doesn't seem to be particularly important to the OC position.

Except the rarest physical athlete to enter the draft in probably a decade (Kristjan Sokoli) was drafted by this team with the intention of training him to be a center.

Pete even talked with excitement about having a rare athlete playing center if they can coach him up.

To me it was a big sign that they intend to find guys inside that can match up to the Aaron Donald's.

McGruff

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":3em9ge8x said:
Attyla the Hawk":3em9ge8x said:

Except the rarest physical athlete to enter the draft in probably a decade (Kristjan Sokoli) was drafted by this team with the intention of training him to be a center.

Pete even talked with excitement about having a rare athlete playing center if they can coach him up.

To me it was a big sign that they intend to find guys inside that can match up to the Aaron Donald's.

Totally agree.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2qpsh1sn said:
Attyla the Hawk":2qpsh1sn said:

I did say 'outside of DL conversion projects'. I'd put Sokoli and Nowak in that.

Seattle want rare athletes everywhere. I'm sure even punters and kickers aren't excluded there.

I actually could see us going Kelly in R1. I think we all concede that he's on our board and at the top of the OC board at that. I see the draft as having three options:

1. OT -- position scarcity both in the draft and on the roster is trumping other options heavily

2. Pass Rusher -- Draft is lean in 80%+ athletes. Last year Clark was a 90th percentile athlete by comparison. There are only six 80th percentile prospects so far (pro days pending so expect that to grow). Rankins being one of the three 90th percentile athletes.

This matters to Seattle. We didn't even bring in guys for a VMAC visit that weren't 60th percentile athletes or better. We have been very consistent in that. That's going back 2 years for which I was able to find data. If we follow suit this year -- I would consider it a law every bit as much as the 32" rule.

3. Kelly -- I think he is singularly qualified in the OC group to go R1. Certainly he's not much of a reach since he's projected to go in the 30-45 range. I don't consider that a reach at all.

If it comes down to Rankins or Kelly, I think we go Rankins and get a 2nd tier OC option later. Although given Okung's loss, I think there are a couple OT prospects that we'd grade relative to what we have higher. Kelly to me seems like plan C for the #26 pick. A very attractive plan C though. Certainly a PCJS kind of zig.

two dog

Reaction score
firebee":1kwi5u4g said:

If Conklin were still on the board I doubt the center position would be discussed at that point.

Since that is very unlikely, I think Ryan Kelly would be a very astute choice. That or they could
trade down into the upper 2nd round for Nick Martin and an extra pick.

As far as the almost universal condemnation here of whatever pick they make, that is just standard
and serves the valuable function of giving the poster "I told you so" rights in case the pick doesn't work out.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":z4fd73kx said:
theENGLISHseahawk":z4fd73kx said:
Attyla the Hawk":z4fd73kx said:

I did say 'outside of DL conversion projects'. I'd put Sokoli and Nowak in that.

Seattle want rare athletes everywhere. I'm sure even punters and kickers aren't excluded there.

I actually could see us going Kelly in R1. I think we all concede that he's on our board and at the top of the OC board at that. I see the draft as having three options:

1. OT -- position scarcity both in the draft and on the roster is trumping other options heavily

2. Pass Rusher -- Draft is lean in 80%+ athletes. Last year Clark was a 90th percentile athlete by comparison. There are only six 80th percentile prospects so far (pro days pending so expect that to grow). Rankins being one of the three 90th percentile athletes.

This matters to Seattle. We didn't even bring in guys for a VMAC visit that weren't 60th percentile athletes or better. We have been very consistent in that. That's going back 2 years for which I was able to find data. If we follow suit this year -- I would consider it a law every bit as much as the 32" rule.

3. Kelly -- I think he is singularly qualified in the OC group to go R1. Certainly he's not much of a reach since he's projected to go in the 30-45 range. I don't consider that a reach at all.

If it comes down to Rankins or Kelly, I think we go Rankins and get a 2nd tier OC option later. Although given Okung's loss, I think there are a couple OT prospects that we'd grade relative to what we have higher. Kelly to me seems like plan C for the #26 pick. A very attractive plan C though. Certainly a PCJS kind of zig.
What a great post. I had no idea Seattle put so much emphasis on raw athletic ability in the draft. It makes sense, though. Their picks always seem to come out of nowhere, then you find out the guy has freakish athletic ability or some freakish talent.

They also seem to draft BPA, regardless of position, which has hurt our offensive line. We don't seem to put any kind of importance on the OL picks, they're always late round.

Our OL cost us 4-6 games last season. And we all knew, going into the draft, that it was an area of need. But Seattle traded for a tight end and drafted Frank Clark with the first two picks. Looking back at the season, there is no way that Graham and Clark could have made a bigger impact than two quality OL. It kinda boggles the mind.

If this year is anything like the past, I expect us to pick two linebackers early. Or a LB and DT. We'll end up drafting a couple conversion projects and a guy nobody has ever heard of for OL in the 6th and 7th rounds.