Diamonds in the 'Gruff - Defensive Tackle

McGruff

Reaction score
DT/DE Bronson Kaufusi, BYU
6'6", 285 lbs, 34.6 inch arm length, 124 Sparq (83rd Percentile)

[youtube]UGyuaOBKYQY[/youtube]

Strengths: Long player who knows how to use his length in all phases of the game. Keeps blockers away from his body using his arms and does an adequate job playing off the block. Has a good inside rip move off the snap, but his bread and butter in his bend around the edge one on one. For a big man, he gets great lean around the edge. He has a knack for chasing down the QB, using his great athletic ability to run players down from behind. He's a true shot blocker on field goal attempts, using his length to get his hand on the kick.

Weaknesses: Isn't a true tackle by any means. In fact, I can't see him playing there hardly at all at the next nevel. He looks like a rare full-sized pass rushing end. He doesn't play with great leverage, and sometimes loses sight of the play. For a man his size, he's more of a finesse player.

Team Fit: BYU used him all over the place in their 3-4 defense. Sometimes as a stand up pass rusher. Sometimes as a base end. They even dropped him into zone coverage on occasion. That flexibility will surely appeal to the Seahawks. But the question is where do you play him? He plays like a LEO, looks like a 5-tech, and doesn't show the ability to move inside. In many ways he reminds me of Cassius Marsh, and would probably be best suited to lose 10-15 pounds and play LEO for us.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
DT Justin Zimmer, Ferris St.
6'2", 302 lbs, Unknown arm length, Sparq Unknown (see below)

Video at http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1331218/highlights/314371380 (thanks to seahawksdraftblog.com)

[youtube]ZsQr0X6EsF8[/youtube]

Strengths: Okay, its a guy playing at Ferris State. Where the Hades is Ferris State? Somewhere in Michigan, that's all I know. But he showed up at a regional combine and then got a chance at Michigan's pro day, and all he did was run the 40 in under 4.9 seconds, with 4.4 shuttle and a 7.0 3 cone and a 32 inch vertical and 9'9" broad jump. Oh yeah, and he benched 225 44 times. 44. Best at the Combine this year was 34.He's fast, agile and explosive and strong, but does it show up on tape. And that's the problem for the amatuer scout. Good tape on small schools is hard to find, and all I could come up with are a couple of highlight reels. Highlight reels against low level competition. Ugh. But here's the deal, when scouting these small school prospect you look for two things First, does he have big school athletic ability? Check! Second, does he dominate small school competition? Again, check! Both he and Javon Hargrave meet both criteria.

So what do I see? Zimmer has tremendous quickness off the the snap, with the ability to both get skinny in the middle and bend around the edge. More often than not, you can't get a good grip on him befroe he's gone by you. When he does get into a bullrush, he plays with great leverage and has the ability to break blockers backs by just bending them sideways with brute strength. Along with Jonathan Bullard, he's the most ferocious tackler I've seen this year. The kid loves to hit, and gets the extra shot in the pile when he can. what can I say, I love this kid.

Weaknesses: Competition leaves a lot to be desired. I wish he could've been invited to one of the all star games or the combine to see him against higher level competition. But there is warrant for a regional combine invitee getting drafted, and drafted early. It happened for Tray Walker last year (RIP). I'll be keeping my eye out for more tape, because highlights don't tell the whole story. Also, there may be questions about his arm length to be able to rep out 225 the way he does, but I haven't found measurements anywhere.

Team fit: He's a true penetrating under tackle who ideally fits the 3 tech position, but could have some scheme versatility at 5-tech as well. I think Seattle would love his overall skill set as a early disrupter of plays and as a tenacious tackler. He's a tone setter for sure.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
This is a bit odd, but I'm watching this tape highlighting DE Lawrence Thomas . . . and Thomas looks good, but two other linemen keep jumping off the tape . . . DE Shilique Calhoun and some DT named Joel Heath. Calhoun just has that pass-rushing "it" gene and that wasn't surprising. but this Joel Heath cat was. So the video doesn't highlight him, but watch #92 in the middle. He's not perfect, but there is something special there.

DT Joel Heath, Michigan State
6'5", 295 lbs, 34.5 inch arms, 115 Sparq (62nd percentile)

[youtube]2hIwS4uHmPk[/youtube]

Strengths: Plays with fire and passion and runs sideline to sideline, whistle to whistle. Seriously, he never quits and finds himself in the middle of the play almost every time. And man, does he know how to celebrate. That may seem like a small thing, but to me it shows a passion and fire for the game that Seattle in particular really likes to see. As far as skills, he's inconsistent play to play, but show some good strength and ability to take on double teams and hold the point. Plays with good leverage against the run and shows the ability to locate the ball carrier and shed the block for the play.

Weaknesses: He's not a pass rusher. When he gets pressure, it's from effort and perseverance. He is inconsistent in his leverage and ends up on the ground too often and pushed back at times. Balance seems to be an issue.

Team fit: Probably the guy that looks most like Brandon Mebane in terms of doing the dirty work that get's others noticed. He plays with fire and that goes a long way. He's got a lot to learn still, and can make better use of his ability, but I can see our coaches loving his work ethic and adding some lower body strength and core strength.

kearly

Reaction score
Kaufusi has an impressive build and is a good athlete for his size, but he seems like a player without a position to me. He's looks too stiff to be a 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE. But he doesn't seem quite stout enough to be an ideal 3-tech or 3-4 DE. Of those four positions, I think 3-4 DE comes the closest to matching his strengths. Barring a JJ Watt type transformation out of nowhere, I don't think someone with his build, height, and stiffness would fit well at DT.

Lately Seattle has obsessed over 40 yard times and 10 yard splits with their D-ends. Kaufusi had a slow 4.87 forty time and a 1.69 ten yard split. Those times are decent for a 3-4 DE but I'm guessing most 4-3 teams would want more speed than that at DE.

He seems like a natural fit for Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Arizona as they are 3-4 defenses that prefer larger, slower pass rushers. For the right team he could be a nice pick, but I don't think he fits Seattle unless he can play 3-tech, which based on his build and tape, seems like it wouldn't work.

Justin Zimmer. I'm glad you highlighted this guy but not for the reason you are thinking. This guy is JR Sweezy 2.0. Might be the most obvious case of a DL to OL swap that I've ever seen, not only his measurements but also his build. His build screams guard. Also, he has a snake mullet. So you know nastiness won't be an issue with him.

Heath is a great find. He plays with power and nastiness and is a good athlete both on the field and in testing. The only issue I have with him, and this is probably why he's a UDFA prospect, is that he's clearly a 1 tech type player who's playing at just 293 pounds, which is 18 pounds lighter than what Brandon Mebane played at last season. I would wonder how adding that kind of weight might impact his athleticism and abilities.

But otherwise I like him a lot. He's got spark to him. Would fit really nicely with Seattle's defense.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
DE Lawrence Thomas, Michigan
6'3", 286 lbs, 33 inch arms, 115 Sparq (61st percentile)

Video . . . see above

Strengths: A kind of jack of trades, master of none, but he shows good athletic ability and is really just learning the position after moving between offense (FB, TE) and defense throughout his career. Right now he gets by on pure athletic ability, and still makes an impact. He doesn't make a lot of splash plays, but he doesn't get embarrassed either. He's a guy who can be coached into an impact player, but its going to take time.

Weaknesses: Inexperienced and raw at the position. No technical skills to speak of. He's played exlcusively outside, so projecting him inside is tough to do.

Team fit: Could easily develop into a Michael Bennett type player but its going to take a lot of time, coaching and patience. The problem is that in the mean time he doesn't have that one skill or attribute that you can use in sub packages. SO what do you do with him as he develops?

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
kearly":7kryetww said:
Kaufusi has an impressive build and is a good athlete for his size, but he seems like a player without a position to me. He's looks too stiff to be a 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE. But he doesn't seem quite stout enough to be an ideal 3-tech or 3-4 DE. Of those four positions, I think 3-4 DE comes the closest to matching his strengths. Barring a JJ Watt type transformation out of nowhere, I don't think someone with his build, height, and stiffness would fit well at DT.

Lately Seattle has obsessed over 40 yard times and 10 yard splits with their D-ends. Kaufusi had a slow 4.87 forty time and a 1.69 ten yard split. Those times are decent for a 3-4 DE but I'm guessing most 4-3 teams would want more speed than that at DE.

He seems like a natural fit for Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Arizona as they are 3-4 defenses that prefer larger, slower pass rushers. For the right team he could be a nice pick, but I don't think he fits Seattle unless he can play 3-tech, which based on his build and tape, seems like it wouldn't work.

Justin Zimmer. I'm glad you highlighted this guy but not for the reason you are thinking. This guy is JR Sweezy 2.0. Might be the most obvious case of a DL to OL swap that I've ever seen, not only his measurements but also his build. His build screams guard. Also, he has a snake mullet. So you know nastiness won't be an issue with him.

Heath is a great find. He plays with power and nastiness and is a good athlete both on the field and in testing. The only issue I have with him, and this is probably why he's a UDFA prospect, is that he's clearly a 1 tech type player who's playing at just 293 pounds, which is 18 pounds lighter than what Brandon Mebane played at last season. I would wonder how adding that kind of weight might impact his athleticism and abilities.

But otherwise I like him a lot. He's got spark to him. Would fit really nicely with Seattle's defense.

I thought about that with Zimmer, and I'd also like to find some film on BC's Conner Wujciak to see if he would make a could OL conversion project. A guy with phenomenal athletic ability but pretty low ranking on the DL front.

cheese22

Reaction score
Zimmer is the human form of a bulldog. 44 reps on the bench? Most players can't do that many squats. Whether or not he's a DL or an OL project, I can see him being a very good special teamer. That guy is someone I'd want on my side in the trenches. Very good find. I'm going to look for more tape to watch, he is fun to watch.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
I got one more to do . . . Is there a particular player anyone wants me to look at?

pehawk

Reaction score
McGruff":amuq09z0 said:
I got one more to do . . . Is there a particular player anyone wants me to look at?

I'm just here for your amazing posts, sweetie. Thank you and keep it up.

titan3131

Reaction score
I really like willie henry as do alot of us on here.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
DT Willie Henry, Michigan
6'3", 303 lbs, 33.5 inch arms, 111 Sparq, 49.7 percentile

[youtube]SHBjiwNQb7k[/youtube]

Strengths: Explodes out of his stance and plays with phenomenal pad level and leverage. Shows good strength through out his body, but especially in his lower half where he holds his ground against double teams and gets good push with his bull rush. When kicked outside to end, shows decent bend as a pass rusher and good burst to the QB. Excellent at stunts. Does a decent job keeping his feet through cut blocks by using his hands to push blockers into the dirt. Shows good tenacity throughout the play and a competitive demeanor on the field.

Weaknesses: Is not a true interior pass rusher, getting most of his pressure when rushing outside or on stunts that clear the way to the QB. Doesn't have a range of moves beyond a bull rush. While his pad level works for him in terms of gaining leverage, he does have a tendency to lower his head and either lose sight of the play or lose balance. Is inconsistent in his snap anticipation, sometimes reacting late, and too often getting penalized for off sides. His tenacity can lead to late hit/personal foul penalties.

Team Fit: Athletically Henry is a good, not great, athlete, putting him near to bottom of what Seattle looks for. That means he qualifies for our draft board, but isn't a truly unique athlete. That's okay, though. Jordan Hill isn't a unique athlete. Brandon Mebane isn't a unique athlete. Shoot, Michael Bennett is probably the least athletic lineman Seattle has ever employeed. And Henry is right in that ball park. For us he looks like a 3-tech with some NT qualities . . . I have to think we'd like his ability to hold double teams and disrupt the running game with a powerful bull rush and ability to split defenders.

cover-2

Reaction score
Gardner-Webb DT OJ Mau is another to add to the list. Mau is 6-1 310 lbs, he has a similar body type to Brandon Mebane. Mau has good initial quickness, he does a good job at shedding blocks, and he looks like he has a good motor. Scouts from the Ravens, Rams, and Panthers have shown interest in Mau.

His stats for the last two years:
Tackles: 120
Tackles for loss: 24
Sacks: 7.5

[youtube]CCagEnGyrdQ[/youtube]

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
Nice find, I'll do some digging, but he's got what we might call a "big bubble" and that's a good thing. He knows how to use it, playing low and with good power and push. The Mebane comp is appropriate due to his build and style.

He hits like a truck and plays with fire. I like it.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
DJ Reader, DT, Clemson

I'm addressing this cause I was watching Clemson tape while bouncing up and down on a treadmill this morning. Reader has spent some time with Seattle coaches as well.

Not looking at his athetic profile and just the film, the first thing that I notice is that Reader does not look like a 330+ pound man. There's not a lot of fat on him and his weight is really evenly distributed. Good strength throughout his body and plays with good core strength, rarely ending up on the ground.

Plays with great power. Holds his ground against double teams, pushed back blockers head on, and easily blows through gap blocks. Dude is seriously strong. Does a good job keeping his head up, l9cating the play and playing off blocks. Runs through the play in pursuit. Doesn't quit. Plays with l9ve for the game.

All that being said, he brings next to nothing against the pass. He doesn't time the snap well so he's pretty slow off the snap. He's not quick, not agile, not fast, and has nothing behind a bull rush.

He's a pure 1 tech type of player, but he's good at that one position. If we are looking to replace Brandon Mebane, reader would be near the top of my list.

xgeoff

Reaction score
I really like looking at Michael Bennett as a model (or template) of what to look for in a DL. He's got the size and strength to work inside at tackle and the speed and pass rushing ability to swing out to end. I think Frank Clark is similar and I am hopeful that this season he will mirror the kinds of things Bennett does. Ahtayba Rubin can play the run-stopping tackle on most downs.

On passing downs I'd like to see Avril, Bennett, Clark and maybe Clemons across the front. If we get another DL with the size and versatility of Bennett and Clark, he might be able to spell Bennett and Clark or swing outside to compete with Clemons. We could have a lot of talent across the front.

The guy I am most intrigued with at this position is Charles Tapper.