Karl Joseph WV Safety

ivotuk

Reaction score
I really like this kid. The problem is he has Bob Sanders Syndrome. Small, hard hitting safety that *may* be prone to injury.

He had a non-contact injury that ended his 2015 season, but man, this kid is a winner! I'd love to pick him up in the late 3rd, early 4th if he lasts that long.

The article is old, but I love to go back and read how well (or poorly) some people can cover and predict a player's future. Also, if you scroll down the page there's some interesting info about other college players.

http://espn.go.com/blog/big12/post/_/id ... ete-player

Something more recent (last 24 hours):

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... 58097.html

McGruff

Reaction score
I think it was Joseph that Mayock recently called a poor man's Earl Thomas. The size is nearly identical, but I don't think Joseph has quite the 4.4 speed of Earl and I don't see Eals anticipation. But that's not a criticism of Karl so much as it is an endorsement of Earl.

But I do see a reasonable facsimile of Earl.

McGruff

Reaction score
[youtube]fo6_AlMemOA[/youtube]

Take a look at the 1:06 mark. tell me that doesn't look like Earl.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
*Ding! Ding! Ding!* You are correct!

"Mayock said Seahawks free safety Earl Thomas was one of his favorite players he ever evaluated out of college, and he called West Virginia's Karl Joseph "a poor man's" version of Thomas.

"He's a little bit undersized, but he's a missile," Mayock said. "He's got great range, he's a tough guy, the ball finds him, but he only played three games this year; he got hurt. I've got him as my top safety depending on how you look at (Florida State's) Jalen Ramsey as a corner or a safety, but I think that kid – his style of play and his toughness and his ball skills remind me of Earl Thomas.""

http://mynorthwest.com/292/2937414/NFL- ... -secondary

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
McGruff":ncbyhzpc said:
Take a look at the 1:06 mark. tell me that doesn't look like Earl.
look at 1:33 / 1:34 - Isn't that a borderline penalty? sort of subjective whether it's leading with helmet or shoulder. But, looks more helmet to helmet. That's a foul in college, too, correct? The NFL is quite flag-happy with those sorts of plays.

But, yes... does look like Thomas (other than that.) Thomas always plays precisely clean. ;)

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
I like him and qould be happy if he joined the team. I think the Hawks grab a safety this year. It's actually a fairly deep draft for safetys. You have guys like Neal, Joseph, Dillon, Simmons, etc. spread throught the draft.

kearly

Reaction score
I'd be just fine with Seattle taking this guy at #90. Given the lack of fast LBs in this draft it might not be a bad idea to treat a 3rd safety as the 3rd LB spot (with Kam moving down in a big nickle package).

Joseph would also make for a viable insurance policy for either Earl or Kam.

I don't think it will happen but I would love it if it did.

Largent80

Reaction score
He definitely looks like ET. Wouldn't hurt to add depth now and he could be a future starter.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
That WVU defense was awful outside of their two safeties. He's a nice player but we have bigger needs than a backup safety to Earl Thomas IMO.

But wouldn't be the worst pick in the world.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":13z2360s said:
That WVU defense was awful outside of their two safeties. He's a nice player but we have bigger needs than a backup safety to Earl Thomas IMO.

I disagree. Earl is an integral part of the defense, and we really have no one to back him up. Imagine if we would have had someone like Karl Joseph in 2014 to give Earl a break going in to, and during the playoffs. We likely would have won that Superbowl.

Even with 3 members of the LOB injured, and another going down early in the Superbowl, then losing Avril to concussion, we should have beat them.

But if we had someone like Karl Joseph to take a concussed Edelman out of the game, it would have been over early.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
CBS SPorts Dane Brugler evaluation:

Joseph entered 2015 already with three seasons of starting experience under his belt and was tied for the FBS lead with five interceptions when he suffered a season-ending knee injury in a non-contact drill during a practice in the first week of October.

Joseph was a first team All-Big 12 pick by the coaches after recording 92 tackles, including 4.5 tackles for loss, three forced fumbles and an interception while starting all 13 games in 2014.

Joseph started all 13 games as a true freshman in 2012 and was named WVU's defensive player of the year while leading the team with 104 tackles. He backed that up with honorable mention all-conference honors in 2013, registering 68 tackles.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/play ... arl-joseph

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ivotuk":wurg74tr said:
Hasselbeck":wurg74tr said:

I disagree. Earl is an integral part of the defense, and we really have no one to back him up. Imagine if we would have had someone like Karl Joseph in 2014 to give Earl a break going in to, and during the playoffs. We likely would have won that Superbowl.

Even with 3 members of the LOB injured, and another going down early in the Superbowl, then losing Avril to concussion, we should have beat them.

But if we had someone like Karl Joseph to take a concussed Edelman out of the game, it would have been over early.

:lol:

I think that's a major stretch to say the least. Earl didn't get injured because of exhaustion, he got injured because of a fluky tackle on Eddie Lacy.

And he showed he wasn't missing the Super Bowl anyway, meaning a rookie - no matter how much he may "look" like Earl - wasn't sniffing the field in that moment

Again I didn't say the pick would be awful, just not necessary IMO. If it happened, great .. but if they're passing on an interior OL for a backup S .. no thanks.