Rookie impact on the active roster (46 man)

AgentDib

Reaction score
I see this as a year in which we could see many immediate contributions despite a talented core.

Here's how I see the current active roster (90%+ in bold, italics on outside looking in):
2 QBs. Wilson, Veteran
4 RBs. Rawls, Michael, ? RB, ? FB, Marshall
5 WRs. Baldwin, Kearse, Lockett, Richardson, Williams, Smith
7 OL. Gilliam, Sowell, Glowinski, Webb, ? C, ? OT, Sokoli, Lewis, Britt
3 TE. Willson, Graham, ? Blocking TE, Helfet, Cottom
8 DL. Bennett, Avril, Clark, Rubin, Hill, Siliga, ? DT, ? DE, Francis
7 LB. Wright, Wagner, Morgan, Marsh, Pierre-Louis, Pinkins, ? ILB, Coyle
10 DB. Sherman, Thomas, Chancellor, Lane, Shead, Burley, Smith, Seisay, Terrell, ? DB, Simon, Jean-Baptiste, McCray
3 ST. Haushka, Ryan, Ferris

That would be 2 RB, 1 C, 1 OT, 1 TE, 2 DL, 1 LB, and 1 DB. Obviously a few of those will still be filled in free agency.

Where do you folks see rookies making an immediate impact on the 2016 gameday roster?

kearly

Reaction score
Nice topic.

Seattle has a sneaky need at fullback.

McGruff

Reaction score
I would say Lewis, Britt, Simon and McCray are pretty solid on the roster.

But looking at that list, guard/center, 3 Tech DT and 5 tech DE are looking really thin.

And yes, FB.

OP
OP
AgentDib

AgentDib

Reaction score
If we draft a tackle and center to contribute immediately then I see Webb and Sokoli as our utility depth every week with Britt and Lewis being mostly inactive.

I do agree that McCray has a shot at being active on special teams again depending on any other DBs we bring in. I'd love to be wrong on Simon but he's a UFA after this season and I think he may not even make the 53.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Best chances for a rookie to shine are probably anywhere on the OL, FB and DL. I feel good about our LT and RG positions and C and RT should be decent but I fully expect to have a new LG this year at least. It could be Sowell if he loses out the LT battle against Gilliam, it could be Sokoli if he's suddenly making strides but the biggest chance is for us to draft a stud in the early rounds. Someone like Ifedi, Garnett, Whitehair or McGovern could make a big impact right away.

At FB we're left with the options of resigning a deteriorating vet (Tukuafu), a criminal (Coleman) or someone who is currently listed as TE (Cottom). Dan Vitale would be an amazing pick for us. Not only a great, active and energrtic blocking FB but he can also function as H-back, in-line blocking TE and as a passing option on third downs. Filling up multiple needs with a 5th or 6th round pick would be a huge steal.

Finally we have the DL. Bennett is without a back up now that Clark turned himself into a LEO, the FO might not be completely sold on Siliga or just wants to add some competition at 1-tech and I'm not entirely sure Hill will keep his job as a 3rd down interior pass rusher. Meaning there are a starting job, major back up job and 3rd down duties still avaialable for rookies to leave their mark on.

cover-2

Reaction score
IMO rookies can come in and impact a number of different positons on our team.
RT, LG, OC, nickel CB, OLB, 3-tech DT, RB, FB, and a well rounded TE.

penihawk

Reaction score
cover-2":iyqd53u9 said:

This is a very accurate list that obviously we won't be able to fill entirely in the draft but there are quite a few guys at all levels of the draft that could make it and fill most of those needs. I realistically think we hit on 5 or 6 in this draft/udfa.

At fullback I also like Andy Janovich as well as Vitale. Not a 260 lb ironhead but he is strong, gives you an extra element in the run game and is a special teams stud. Another guy that's a "football player" that we can get at the end of the draft.

The well rounded TE I love is Nick Vannett. I think he was underutalized at OSU and is gonna be a big time steal for somebody in the 3-4th rd. Hope it's the Hawks.

cover-2

Reaction score
penihawk":3krhqavs said:
cover-2":3krhqavs said:

This is a very accurate list that obviously we won't be able to fill entirely in the draft but there are quite a few guys at all levels of the draft that could make it and fill most of those needs. I realistically think we hit on 5 or 6 in this draft/udfa.

At fullback I also like Andy Janovich as well as Vitale. Not a 260 lb ironhead but he is strong, gives you an extra element in the run game and is a special teams stud. Another guy that's a "football player" that we can get at the end of the draft.

The well rounded TE I love is Nick Vannett. I think he was underutalized at OSU and is gonna be a big time steal for somebody in the 3-4th rd. Hope it's the Hawks.

I'm on the Vannett bandwagon as well.

C482b0fb1a26f2e362b160fe7ao0w219h300c0pid1

McGruff

Reaction score
Vannett has a very Jason Witten vibe to him, and that is a good thing.

Willyeye

Reaction score
Overseasfan":vdu0ma3u said:
Best chances for a rookie to shine are probably anywhere on the OL, FB and DL. I feel good about our LT and RG positions and C and RT should be decent but I fully expect to have a new LG this year at least. It could be Sowell if he loses out the LT battle against Gilliam, it could be Sokoli if he's suddenly making strides but the biggest chance is for us to draft a stud in the early rounds. Someone like Ifedi, Garnett, Whitehair or McGovern could make a big impact right away.

At FB we're left with the options of resigning a deteriorating vet (Tukuafu), a criminal (Coleman) or someone who is currently listed as TE (Cottom). Dan Vitale would be an amazing pick for us. Not only a great, active and energrtic blocking FB but he can also function as H-back, in-line blocking TE and as a passing option on third downs. Filling up multiple needs with a 5th or 6th round pick would be a huge steal.

Finally we have the DL. Bennett is without a back up now that Clark turned himself into a LEO, the FO might not be completely sold on Siliga or just wants to add some competition at 1-tech and I'm not entirely sure Hill will keep his job as a 3rd down interior pass rusher. Meaning there are a starting job, major back up job and 3rd down duties still avaialable for rookies to leave their mark on.

I agree Dan Vitale would be an amazing pick for us. I would say that Vitale is a must-have pick for the Seahawks this year. He'd be better than any aging veteran 3rd down backs that are out there, and he's truly an incredible athlete.

McGruff

Reaction score
I think it will be interesting to see how much we even use a FB going forward. Coleman played in less than 10% of offensive snaps, and Tukuafu in less than 20%. I'm just not sure about investing draft capital at a position that has so little impact on the field.

titan3131

Reaction score
Personally I think we need replacements for

J Hill
Kpl
S Terrell
Helfet
and the backup qb
Possibly marsh and thorlad Simon as well...

Step up or get cut

cover-2

Reaction score
McGruff":25hwk0ot said:
I think it will be interesting to see how much we even use a FB going forward. Coleman played in less than 10% of offensive snaps, and Tukuafu in less than 20%. I'm just not sure about investing draft capital at a position that has so little impact on the field.

Very good point. It's interesting to look at the Seahawks roster on seahawks.com and see they don't have any FB's on the roster. Brandon Cottom, who was a rookie last year, is listed as a TE and not a FB. I believe Lynch preferred having a FB blocking for him, now that he is no longer on the team they can go exclusively with one RB sets.

Largent80

Reaction score
It would be nice to know the status of Grahams condition. TE is a spot being overlooked at the moment because of the OL departures and the way the draft is shaping up.

Seafan

Reaction score
I can't imagine the Hawks using draft capital on a TE/FB. Those are opportunities for UDFA.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
McGruff":3bjec1my said:
Yeah, it was my understanding that we've been using FB less over the last few years.

Having said that, an athletic FB who can block, run, and catch would be especially valuable for a team like us because we spread the ball around so much. It at least creates the opportunity for different looks and schemes.

I would oppose using a draft pick on someone like Kiero Small a couple years ago; someone who lacked versatility and was merely in competition for purely blocking duties.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Largent80":1bx4pg5n said:
It would be nice to know the status of Grahams condition. TE is a spot being overlooked at the moment because of the OL departures and the way the draft is shaping up.

I really would like them to bring in a blocking TE no matter what happens with Graham's recovery. Especially if the line is going to be littered with inexperience again.. that blocking TE really helps mask some flaws on the OL

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":5wzqbu0i said:
Nice topic.

Seattle has a sneaky need at fullback.

Agreed. And normally, I think we'd just opt for UDFA for that.

Vitale's testing numbers are just ridiculous. Even though there might only be 3 teams in the NFL willing to draft a FB -- Vitale seems like a Luke Willson kind of pick. A guy whose testing really just forces us to pick him higher than maybe he would seem available.

How often does a FB come into the league with numbers like this? His numbers were almost identical to Derrick Henry.

He just seems like a Seahawk if we could create him from scratch.

Latest posts