Why the agility tests are vital for SEA's O-line

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
It could be the single most important take from the combine testing. Here's a breakdown why and the prospects to monitor (Whitehair, Haeg, McGovern, Boehm).

LINK: http://seahawksdraftblog.com/the-import ... it-seattle

There’s a tendency to concentrate on forty times, splits, the vertical and broad jumps at the combine. Less time is afforded to the short shuttle and three cone.

In many ways these tests are more important than the forty yard dash. The majority of NFL plays require short-area quickness and the ability to change direction — not straight-line speed.

The short shuttle measures change of direction and agility. The three cone reveals straight line and linear power, change of direction, ‘braking’ and regaining top speed.

Agility testing is even more crucial these days for Seahawks offensive linemen. Russell Wilson’s mobility and ability to improvise demands the ability to react and adjust on the move. They often aren’t blocking straight ahead for a pocket passer like Peyton Manning. It’s probably one of the reasons they generally look for tackle converts to move inside. They’re used to blocking on the run.

McGruff

Reaction score
Eggs-sah-leNT work.

TC will be glad to see Boehm on the list., and I will double my efforts to scout him fairly.

IIRC though the explosive drills play a large role in Seahawks line picks. I could be wrong and will do some work there.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Whitehair would be the most obvious upgrade on the roster IMO. They would have to view him as a stud though to grab him that early, given the depth at the interior OL in the draft. While he might be a huge upgrade over Britt, how much better is he than Mcgovern/Dahl in the 2nd rd? Basically would they rather have Whitehair/Henry or an Ogbah/Mcgovern or Coleman and a 3rd rd LG? I think the last 2 choices are better personall.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
English,
Boehm actually played all 12 games at LG in his true Freshman season. You didn't list him as able to play multiple positions - only Center. Is there something about his play that would suggest that he wouldn't be versatile enough to play Guard?

http://mutigers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=2745
It's also interesting to note that Boehm is the son of a High School football coach.

Impressive:
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/colleg ... 42187.html

In another thread topic, I merely suggested him as a possible mid round selection (if they didn't use a higher pick on a Center - one possible player that might be available and let the draft come to them instead of over-reaching in early rounds.) But, now that there's been a bit of a hubbub about him, it's interesting he could turn out to be a more likely option than perhaps originally thought.
The kid appears to have a confidence and swagger about him.
http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... Yardbarker

Man, I really hesitated to mention his name at first because I realized he probably didn't fit the athletic profile based on SPARQ. But, whenever I see "grit" used to describe a player, I figure the Seahawks are probably aware of that player.

I agree with McGruff English... good work.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
McGruff":3es4fpbq said:
Eggs-sah-leNT work.

TC will be glad to see Boehm on the list., and I will double my efforts to scout him fairly.

IIRC though the explosive drills play a large role in Seahawks line picks. I could be wrong and will do some work there.
It's all good, McGruff. I only mentioned a name. English had a reasoned case. Let us know what you come up with.
Tumblr nkreooJLp81rbttujo2 500

two dog

Reaction score
It was, indeed, an excellent article. The image that resonated the strongest with me was
English's assessment that Whitehair basically punked Ogbah in their game last year.

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
McGruff":3bqqr28m said:
Eggs-sah-leNT work.

In the broad jump, Haeg had the fourth best effort, Whitehair the sixth and McGovern the eighth. So they did pretty well there too (plus the split times were good as noted in the piece). Ifedi and Dahl also performed well in the broad.

Hawk Finn

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":ly2oahl3 said:
McGruff":ly2oahl3 said:
Eggs-sah-leNT work.

In the broad jump, Haeg had the fourth best effort, Whitehair the sixth and McGovern the eighth. So they did pretty well there too (plus the split times were good as noted in the piece). Ifedi and Dahl also performed well in the broad.
:twisted: