Brandin Bryant DT FAU pro day of the ages

titan3131

Reaction score
6’2 1/2″, 290 lbs.
His arms are short – 31 1/4″ with 10 5/8″ hands

And all these #s would’ve been number 1 amongst DTs at the combine.

38 reps on the BP
4.81 40
4.24 SS
7.16 3 cone

[youtube]8M5LKx5-Kp4[/youtube]

http://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/nfl-dra ... niversity/

Football is about giving back, what is the coolest thing you have done off the field?

Talking to Kids at the Omaha Boys & Girls Club and just letting them know What you think is ultimately what you’ll become

What was the hardest college class you ever had to take?

Any thing math related !

Where are you from?

Omaha , Nebraska

Who is your role model, and why?

My Parents , They taught me to always stay positive and stay moving forward no matter the obstacle .

Did you play any other sports growing up?

Was a track runner until I got to heavy , Also wrestled

Did you play any other positions in football?

Running Back , Defensive end, Tight end ,Linebacker

At your position, what separates you from others?

What separates me is my speed, Ability to react , explosiveness and motor !

When you are breaking down film, what do you look for?

I look for the tendencies of the offensive linemen I usually know if it’s pass or run before the ball is even snapped.

Who was the toughest player you ever faced?

Chance Warmack from Alabama or Josh Walker of MTSU

If you could compare your play to one player in the NFL who would it be and why?

I like to look at myself as a mix of Michaeal Bennett from the Seattle Seahawks and Gerald McCoy

What was the biggest obstacle in your life you had to overcome, and how did you overcome it?

Tearing my ACL in my right knee two times I over came it my staying positive, And working harder than I ever have!

Do you have any pre-game rituals?

I usually Watch film on Warren Sapp and listen to Ray Lewis Speeches in the locker room

2013 FAU Football vs Middle Tennessee State
What is your biggest strength?

My Speed and Quickness

What is your biggest weakness?

Conditioning has always been a challenge .

If I were a GM and gave you a second to sell yourself, what would you say?

I will do everything I can to help the team I’m on Win a Super Bowl !

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
If we trade down and get an early 4th I would take this guy in a heartbeat. He has polished pass rush moves, super explosive, has had 2 acls and came back better... We need this guy.

He describes his game as Gerald McCoy and Mike bennett sounds like a good mentor for him

cover-2

Reaction score
Bryant's quickness and array of pass rush moves is impressive. He has an explosive spin move...at the 1:26 mark on the video, Bryant's spin move literally breaks the arm of the LG.

This frenetic pass rushing DT reminds me of John Randle.
Brandin bryant 300x254

th

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
if a guy that reps 225 38 times, has explosion, and a solid array of pass rush moves is available in the 3rd I think you have to pull the trigger. He could be our answer for evolving our pass rush.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Pretty solid production against pretty solid competition. So he's not just some chump who has a few flashy plays against scrubs. He's strong, fast, explosive and technical. He'll probably only see play on obvious passing downs but even then this kid might just solve a big issue on our team for relatively low cost.

cover-2

Reaction score
Largent80":3n7a2lf9 said:
Where are they projecting him to be selected?

Undrafted free agent.

Every draft has prospects that are considered UDFA or are just completely off the radar on draft sites. A good number of them end up getting drafted as early as the 4th round. Bryant defiantly looks worthy of a mid-round pick.

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
With 20/20 hindsight there's not a single team that wishes they had picked Russell in round 1-3.

Or Sherman before rd5
Lockett before rd3
Baldwin Udfa

The eagles were banking on getting Russell, I'm sure some team is head over heels for this guy and thinks they can steal in the 5th 6th. But we all know what happens when you get too cute... Looking at you Darrell.

I'm so confident this guy is the answer.

Imagine our weakest spots on the Dline: AJ Francis, Kevin Dodd, Jordan Hill 2/3 replaced with Bullard and Brandin Bryant.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
JS always says something like, "Who are these experts that know where players are supposed to be drafted? We don't care."

I love that. They draft the players they identity and value.

Not that all the rankings are anywhere near worthless. They're just opinions (and possibly resources) based on the evaluations of others. Teams should do their own scouting and homework. It comes down to how teams rate players vs. other players (BPA) and how that player might fit with the team (positions of need, chemistry, etc.)

Sometimes I get romanced a bit too much by the various ranking sites. Leaves me scratching my head when they draft guys like Justin Britt in the 2nd round when I have him down in the lower rounds. Those who follow the draft want value prospects. If none of the sites are valuing a player to be drafted, doesn't mean they won't be.

Titan... what is it about Bryant that he isn't getting the higher projections? Perhaps he's overlooked, but does anyone have an opinion as to why?

cheese22

Reaction score
It has to be the fact that he played at a lesser known school. A bias that works against those who have it. A lot of this guys highlights came against big schools, Florida, Nebraska, etc. He reminds me of Nkemdiche in size and speed and he carries his weight unbelievably well. He lives in the backfield even though he gets doubled a lot. He pursues down the line like someone smaller would and he has violent hands in 1-on-1 situations. His combination of size, speed and penetration gives him some versatility in where he gets used. I'd hate to wait too long if they are interested but it doesn't sound like it would take too high of a pick to get him. He looks like a Bennett clone with a little more weight...that's a pretty good prospect.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
cheese22":1irf7c5l said:
It has to be the fact that he played at a lesser known school. A bias that works against those who have it. A lot of this guys highlights came against big schools, Florida, Nebraska, etc. He reminds me of Nkemdiche in size and speed and he carries his weight unbelievably well. He lives in the backfield even though he gets doubled a lot. He pursues down the line like someone smaller would and he has violent hands in 1-on-1 situations. His combination of size, speed and penetration gives him some versatility in where he gets used. I'd hate to wait too long if they are interested but it doesn't sound like it would take too high of a pick to get him. He looks like a Bennett clone with a little more weight...that's a pretty good prospect.
I get what you're saying in terms of "lesser known" - it's not Alabama, FSU, Florida, etc. But, Florida Atlantic is a Division 1 FBS school. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_N ... l_programs Scouts are well aware of FAU. It's definitely on the map.

I was more wondering what is it about the player, not the school, that gets overlooked? There's a slew of players from small schools that are garnering plenty of attention. I can't find him ranked anywhere in the various online ranking sites. Apparently, he's suddenly on the radar of teams though. http://www.omaha.com/sports/omaha-north ... db1c9.html

About his Pro Day that got him some attention: http://www.fauowlaccess.com/articles/19 ... o-day.aspx

Brandin Bryant, Florida Atlantic – 6’2”, 290 UDFA
Quick, agile gap penetrator that is light in the pants and gets driven back far too easily. Might have some scheme versatility to play in an odd front. http://optimumscouting.com/uncategorize ... ition.html

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
cover-2":1oc8agb4 said:
Largent80":1oc8agb4 said:
Where are they projecting him to be selected?

Undrafted free agent.

Every draft has prospects that are considered UDFA or are just completely off the radar on draft sites. A good number of them end up getting drafted as early as the 4th round. Bryant defiantly looks worthy of a mid-round pick.
Probably will get drafted. Read this: http://www.omaha.com/sports/omaha-north ... db1c9.html

"No one gave him any projections afterward, but he’s hoping he’s moved up a few rounds. He had been told before Thursday he could go in the sixth or seventh round or as a free agent. But that was before.... "

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
so quick, he seems to teleport to the backfield... lol. good tape, and better measureables. if he falls below the 5th round, could be a steal. nice find

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
ivotuk":2roe0qgl said:
He could see a Dontari Poe type rise in the draft.

Highly doubtful.

He has significant height, length and weight limitations. Something Poe definitely didn't have.

Additionally, with recurring ACL tears on the same knee -- that's a very significant red flag. Figure that probably drops him about 50 spots in the draft where he'd normally go.

With that size/length liability -- I'd say the earliest he goes would normally be mid 4th to late 5th. Only if a team just loves him. Injury probably settles him in the mid/late 6th to UDFA.

Production is very modest. Doesn't appear to be a special/dominant player even against inferior competition. Those are things that hurt him. You want to see dominance when you're playing against the Sisters of the Poor.

In this case, I'd compare him with my clubhouse leader at DT (Javon Hargrave) who similarly plays against lower competition as a small school player. Hargrave doesn't have the injury history, nor the sub 32" arm length issues. Is about 20 lbs heavier. And yet basically collected in one game (6.0 sacks, 11 TFL) what Bryant did his entire senior year (5.0 sacks, 10.5 TFL).

You need to see Star Wars numbers at DT when you're talking small school players. Bryant doesn't have that. Nor the ridiculous athletic prototype. Hard to lobby for him being anything but a very late day 3/UDFA guy based on that. As a sub package player he could find a home in the NFL. But it'll take time because he doesn't appear to have a natural instinct for pass rushing. He's most likely a two year redshirt kind of player.

Poe's rise was intense. There were a lot of teams that would have taken him in R1. I think time may have dulled our recollection of just how special of a physical talent he was. Bryant's not going to have multiple day 1 suitors.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
I think what is exciting about a find like this is the potential to get this type of player in late mid rounds or even later (udfa). Yeah, I saw that he had 2 ACL's, but he played the entire last season without a recurrence. Injuries are part of the game. Even in Pop Warner, it's said every first day... "If you play football, you will get injured." It's a collision sport. Red flags aren't necessarily deal breakers and can be an opportunity for teams to get talent later in the draft they wouldn't otherwise.

If a player can comeback from them (he was the comeback player of the year) and plays a complete season like he did, that gives a bit more confidence that he has a chance to continue to play and hopefully stay healthy. Attyla is right, though. This is the kind of player to hopefully nab in the late rounds. Could be a steal. If not, haven't risked much.

OP
OP
titan3131

titan3131

Reaction score
Personally Im so high on this guy compared to what we currently have on our roster depth wise @ DT. I want thim with our 4th pick, with being so late I think of as an early 5th.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Really nice find. This guy has all the tools to be very good at the next level if he stays healthy and motivated. He could likely play either inside or out with his combination of quickness and strength.