Jaylon Smith Update

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Per Smith, he's leg pressing 600 LBs and squatting 400 LBs. He seems encouraged by his progress (take that with a grain of salt). Medical Re-checks occur on April 15th in Indy. (Per Rotoworld)

The medical checks are huge, but I have to say (and this has been said before); Jaylon Smith is very intriguing at 26. Mainly because of the 5th year option and letting him basically redshirt all year. There's a major risk that he never recovers, but assuming you are not looking at the likes of Spriggs, Ifedi or Bullard; talk me out of not taking that chance on him.

No, we know what happened to Marcus Lattimore, and it's nothing to scoff at. But to my knowledge, this is Smith's first knee injury and it was nowhere near what happened to Lattimore; though the injury was significant (not to downplay it). Does the fact that he would most likely be an OLB for Seattle give you more confidence in his ability to endure to rigors of the NFL.

Admittedly, I had no confidence in Lattimore mainly because you are talking about multiple knee injuries and living a life between the tackles. While Smith would certainly get dirty, we are also not talking about 20+ carries per game in the trenches. We have seen the type of career Thomas Davis has had, despite the injuries.

What say you?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Mtjhoyas":1rt6h4zs said:
What say you?

When healthy he was every bit the explosive top 10 talent in any given draft year type of player.

The risk is there obviously. We saw it last year with Ogbuehi at #21. Even Gurley at #10.

But we saw the flip side in 2014:

Dominique Easley #29
Paul Richardson #45

Taking Smith at #26 could be Richardson revisited. Smith's injury at least at this time is much more serious than Gurley's injury was.

One could just look at how that strategy has worked out for San Fransisco. They've made taking injury redshirts late on day 2 sort of a cottage industry. It's not worked out for them. Doesn't mean it won't in the future. But the track record is grim on that.

If you're taking at #26, you really need to get a star in return. Because you're going to pass on a servicable starter almost assuredly. And probably at a position of real need and value.

Smith was an amazing prospect. Looking back at the last four drafts, he looks like he's have been the best prospect in any of those drafts. Kuechly is an amazing talent but he didn't have the same juice that Smith had. Nor did he have the ability in terms of rushing the passer that really separates LB prospects like Smith had.

If the draft breaks a certain way -- OL prospects we like are overdrafted and pass rush options are depleted -- then Smith may come into play. But I tend to think that won't happen. The only way we get a shot on him is if the medical comes back cloudy. If that's the case, then he's probably dropping back to a more reasonable late day 2 range.

kearly

Reaction score
He has the most annoying celebration move.

I totally bought the hype with Luke Kuechly but with Smith it feels like I'm watching Bobby Wagner at Utah State. His tape is boring and it seems like he always pulls guys down to tackle them. That said his speed is real. Or WAS real before his brutal injury, anyway.

I'd love to get him with a 4th round pick, I think he'd fit Pete well if he can bounce back from the injury. While he's rehabbing I hope he works on that celebration move, too.

I doubt he lasts that late but I doubt he goes early too. Anyone that takes him in the top 50 picks is cray-cray.

poplarbluffman

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":11c66c2u said:
Mtjhoyas":11c66c2u said:
What say you?

When healthy he was every bit the explosive top 10 talent in any given draft year type of player.

The risk is there obviously. We saw it last year with Ogbuehi at #21. Even Gurley at #10.

But we saw the flip side in 2014:

Dominique Easley #29
Paul Richardson #45

Taking Smith at #26 could be Richardson revisited. Smith's injury at least at this time is much more serious than Gurley's injury was.

One could just look at how that strategy has worked out for San Fransisco. They've made taking injury redshirts late on day 2 sort of a cottage industry. It's not worked out for them. Doesn't mean it won't in the future. But the track record is grim on that.

If you're taking at #26, you really need to get a star in return. Because you're going to pass on a servicable starter almost assuredly. And probably at a position of real need and value.

Smith was an amazing prospect. Looking back at the last four drafts, he looks like he's have been the best prospect in any of those drafts. Kuechly is an amazing talent but he didn't have the same juice that Smith had. Nor did he have the ability in terms of rushing the passer that really separates LB prospects like Smith had.

If the draft breaks a certain way -- OL prospects we like are overdrafted and pass rush options are depleted -- then Smith may come into play. But I tend to think that won't happen. The only way we get a shot on him is if the medical comes back cloudy. If that's the case, then he's probably dropping back to a more reasonable late day 2 range.

agree easily a top 10 pick..maybe top 5
hope the knee heals and he ends up with a good/team/coach...from stlouis and love to see you guys get him

Overseasfan

Reaction score
If he was healthy he wouldn't make it out of the top 5. The question is if he'll ever fully recover and if so, when? Will he factor into play late this season and is he fully functional next year? Then we're looking at one of the biggest draft steals in recent history. Exciting to think about but he could just as well never see the field, or maybe never get back to 100% or be like Richardson and only be able to play a few games a season untill another injury hits.

I'm really not sure what to think of this situation.

Basis4day

Reaction score
A later rd flyer is one thing.

I don't think you can justify it in the 1st rd when the entire O-Line is currently making less than JR Sweezy. The Hawks have shown an ability to find LB talent.

It's a very real possibility he never plays again.

Davidess

Reaction score
I would definitely be on him with a 4th-late round pick but not at 26. He is a top talent but will he reach that pinnacle again after this recovery. spending a 1st rounder on him would be scary. But I am also in the boat that doesn't want a LB,S,CB with our first pick.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
The two teams who both have two 2nd Rd. picks are L.A. & N.E. & L.A. Has the earlier picks. In that market this story would be compelling. They are the most likely to roll the dice with this young player unless they trade up for a QB. However, some team near the end of the first round may see the ability to get a genuine # 1 pick in the draft quality player cheap by redshirting him and taking advantage of the 5th year option.

I'd expect the team that takes him to already know they are 'in' on drafting this player. It will be interesting to see see where he will land. Risk to reward could be special here. This is a JS move although the Hawks cap situation may play against it along with the roster needs the team has this draft.