Shaq Lawson, DE Clemson

kearly

Reaction score
[youtube]pHMHvzb27LQ[/youtube]

The Seahawks met with Lawson, but could it be that this is a smokescreen? After all, we'd been fooled in the past about reports that Seattle loved Courtney Upshaw, only to see them pass on him twice. Upshaw's measurables are near carbon copies of Lawson's, though Lawson comes out just a bit ahead in most areas, including production in his final year.

Upshaw is a very common (and unflattering) comparison for Lawson right now, but I see some key differences between the two. Upshaw was basically a wanna-be edge rusher that took advantage of non-NFL talent right tackles. Lawson is more of an inside-out pass rusher who wins with power and ability to disengage.

What the two very much have in common is that their field speed and explosiveness just aren't very good. And that's why it's hard for me to believe the Seattle has real interest, other than maybe double checking him after seeing his surprising 10' broad jump.

It's strange that Lawson is listed at 269 pounds, because on tape he plays like a 290 pounder (in both good ways and bad).

I think he can be a difference maker in the NFL as a 3-4 DE, but I really struggle to see a role for him on a defense like Seattle's. If Seattle ends up drafting him at #26 I'll be left scratching my head.