Tyler Higbee (TE, Western Kentucky) Incident

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
I don't view this as a major red flag.

In fact, these are the kind of minor things that can allow a team to snag a potential starter late if enough teams drop him down.

If he's around in the 7th and we haven't taken a TE yet then he could provide good value.

The stuff that concerns me is when a player goes out and causes a bunch of serious problems for other people, in a predatory way, like they are just looking for any way to get thrown in jail.

CPHawk

Reaction score
HawkGA":19yk8fax said:
Assaulting somebody doesn't qualify?

Wow. I guess when it's not your money or job, it's easier to look past these things. It's funny though, this kid can get a second chance because he can catch a ball and run fast, but if he ever wants to work for any number of employers he'll get passed on because of this.

OP
OP
TeamoftheCentury

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
HawkGA":3fgztesd said:
In America, it's supposed to be "innocent until proven guilty." In any altercation, there is the possibility of self (and others) defense. I'll withhold judgement for now. But, from the details reported, it's evident a sequence of events happened. How those are interpreted as it's reconstructed to determine what actually happened remains to be seen.

According to Higbee, he and his girlfriend tried to avoid confrontation with the individual. They are claiming the victim followed them to another location. Would you have a problem with that? I would. If I walk away and the person(s) I've made effort to avoid follows me (and those I'm with), they have escalated the situation to a potential threat.

I think it's always best to try to defuse a potentially violent situation. Those usually don't end well. But, when tactics like avoidance, diplomacy, etc. fail to extinguish a situation, one might find themselves in a position they are left with no choice but physical confrontation.

We don't know if Higbee could have done more to avoid this. We also don't know if he exercised restraint in self-defense (ie: he could have further pummeled the guy, but did not.) He admitted to striking the individual once.

Here is the attorney's statement, for what it's worth:

"This is a very unfortunate situation that we hope to resolve promptly," Higbee's attorney, Brian Lowder said in a statement. "We are currently gathering facts but this incident appears to have been precipitated by the aggressive actions of the alleged victim towards both Mr. Higbee and his girlfriend. We will have additional comment as the situation develops."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... e-arrested

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
HawkGA":1z9c5h26 said:
The article makes it sound like he was defending himself. Not enough people defend themselves nowadays so i support those who do.

Hawks46

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":46ictw0m said:
HawkGA":46ictw0m said:
In America, it's supposed to be "innocent until proven guilty." In any altercation, there is the possibility of self (and others) defense. I'll withhold judgement for now. But, from the details reported, it's evident a sequence of events happened. How those are interpreted as it's reconstructed to determine what actually happened remains to be seen.

According to Higbee, he and his girlfriend tried to avoid confrontation with the individual. They are claiming the victim followed them to another location. Would you have a problem with that? I would. If I walk away and the person(s) I've made effort to avoid follows me (and those I'm with), they have escalated the situation to a potential threat.

I think it's always best to try to defuse a potentially violent situation. Those usually don't end well. But, when tactics like avoidance, diplomacy, etc. fail to extinguish a situation, one might find themselves in a position they are left with no choice but physical confrontation.

We don't know if Higbee could have done more to avoid this. We also don't know if he exercised restraint in self-defense (ie: he could have further pummeled the guy, but did not.) He admitted to striking the individual once.

"This is a very unfortunate situation that we hope to resolve promptly," Higbee's attorney, Brian Lowder said in a statement. "We are currently gathering facts but this incident appears to have been precipitated by the aggressive actions of the alleged victim towards both Mr. Higbee and his girlfriend. We will have additional comment as the situation develops."

Oh, I'd agree, especially if the guy followed him and his girl to another locale. Thing that bothers me is that the guy was talking in Arabic on his cell phone, and Higbee claims that he was calling friends over to jump him. When the cops asked him how he knew that when he couldn't understand the guy, he says "I just knew". That's starting to sound like a kid from Western Kentucky is racist.

OP
OP
TeamoftheCentury

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Hawks46":qofay9m2 said:
TeamoftheCentury":qofay9m2 said:
HawkGA":qofay9m2 said:

Oh, I'd agree, especially if the guy followed him and his girl to another locale. Thing that bothers me is that the guy was talking in Arabic on his cell phone, and Higbee claims that he was calling friends over to jump him. When the cops asked him how he knew that when he couldn't understand the guy, he says "I just knew". That's starting to sound like a kid from Western Kentucky is racist.
Perhaps and there sounds to be enough there to draw some conclusions and I don't fault you for that. But, we've got to be careful about not speculating. We all speculate, just have to do so while being as fair to the possibilities. Also, we should probably be careful about stereotypes. I understand that they can unfortunately resemble the accusations, though, and further contribute to stereotypes. So, I don't fault you there, either.

Hopefully true justice will prevail and be administered fairly... and that people will learn and grow from the experience accordingly.

Hawks46

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":727blmcy said:
Hawks46":727blmcy said:
TeamoftheCentury":727blmcy said:
HawkGA":727blmcy said:

Perhaps and there sounds to be enough there to draw some conclusions and I don't fault you for that. But, we've got to be careful about not speculating. We all speculate, just have to do so while being as fair to the possibilities. Also, we should probably be careful about stereotypes. I understand that they can unfortunately resemble the accusations, though, and further contribute to stereotypes. So, I don't fault you there, either.

Hopefully true justice will prevail and be administered fairly... and that people will learn and grow from the experience accordingly.

Great response and well said. I'm not judging the guy or jumping to conclusions, and speculation is all we really can do at this point. Also not saying "don't draft him". I'm sure this will come to a conclusion, but the draft is close and now we have to speculate on what it will do to his draft stock. I remember the kid from LSU that would've been a first rounder ending up an UDFA going to the Cowboys because teams didn't know how that legal case would turn out.

OP
OP
TeamoftheCentury

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
Hawks46":1ddj0kho said:
Great response and well said. I'm not judging the guy or jumping to conclusions, and speculation is all we really can do at this point. Also not saying "don't draft him". I'm sure this will come to a conclusion, but the draft is close and now we have to speculate on what it will do to his draft stock. I remember the kid from LSU that would've been a first rounder ending up an UDFA going to the Cowboys because teams didn't know how that legal case would turn out.

Yeah, don't get me started about La'el Collins. Essentially, teams bought what his agent was selling. He made some threats that Collins wouldn't play for any team that drafted him late. He was bluffing.