WR D'haquille 'Duke' Williams

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I remember last season this guy was getting 1st round hype then elected to return to Auburn where the poo hit the fan this season and he fell into Gus Malzahn's dog house before finally being booted off the team.

Now - a lot of scouts are questioning his desire to play the game, but the talent is definitely there.. and he'd be a project to take on, but could be a real steal if a team is able to get the 2013 and 2014 Duke Williams and not last seasons guy.

[youtube]bU0KCXWpvGs[/youtube]

Right now he's being talked about as a Day 3 guy and possible UDFA .. but I would love to take a shot at him.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":fg23rq9x said:
I remember last season this guy was getting 1st round hype then elected to return to Auburn where the poo hit the fan this season and he fell into Gus Malzahn's dog house before finally being booted off the team.

Now - a lot of scouts are questioning his desire to play the game, but the talent is definitely there.. and he'd be a project to take on, but could be a real steal if a team is able to get the 2013 and 2014 Duke Williams and not last seasons guy.

[youtube]bU0KCXWpvGs[/youtube]

Right now he's being talked about as a Day 3 guy and possible UDFA .. but I would love to take a shot at him.
His tape is OK, but he tested in the bottom 10% of the league athletically. That, with the off field concerns pretty much ensures he is undraftable. A guy to bring into camp as an UDFA? Sure, why not.

ivotuk

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3gjmiwfs said:
I just can't imagine Pete drafting a guy with questionable desire to play.

I wouldn't put it past him though to bring the guy in as an UDFA, and make an example of him. "Don't love the game more than life? then end up like this guy, on the street."

penihawk

Reaction score
If we are gonna take a bonehead we I would take Florida's Demarcus Robinson. :D

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ivotuk":2wpre73r said:
JSeahawks":2wpre73r said:

I wouldn't put it past him though to bring the guy in as an UDFA, and make an example of him. "Don't love the game more than life? then end up like this guy, on the street."

Because that sounds exactly like something Pete Carroll would ever do. :lol:

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":3p085yxh said:
His combine was really poor....

As was his pro day.

Looks like he went to seed in his year off. Either that or he wasn't nearly as athletic as we gave him credit for.

Doesn't look like he has the desire or work ethic to make a run at a career. UDFA all day long. And you'd pretty much have to babysit him and motivate him externally. Inner fire seems completely absent.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":38nuwdj1 said:
ImTheScientist":38nuwdj1 said:

As was his pro day.

Looks like he went to seed in his year off. Either that or he wasn't nearly as athletic as we gave him credit for.

Doesn't look like he has the desire or work ethic to make a run at a career. UDFA all day long. And you'd pretty much have to babysit him and motivate him externally. Inner fire seems completely absent.
I'm not sure what the op sees in him.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
How did Mike Williams do with Pete Carroll? I don't believe Mike Williams had a stellar combine either or had the desire to play football before he became a Seahawk. Not saying that he would turn out to be like Mike Williams but there could be some similarities.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
hawkfan68":2865lylm said:
How did Mike Williams do with Pete Carroll? I don't believe Mike Williams had a stellar combine either or had the desire to play football before he became a Seahawk. Not saying that he would turn out to be like Mike Williams but there could be some similarities.

Williams' pro day was much better. But yeah that's one of those 'what's in a guys' heart' thing that is tough to measure up.

kobebryant

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1nui6d57 said:

Even then though, Mike Williams was once one of the most dominant WRs college football has seen. There was a lot to work with

Duke hasn't even been excellent at the NCAA level. Poor physical testing, poor character, not particularly productive in college.

OP
OP
Hasselbeck

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":13lmkq8l said:
Attyla the Hawk":13lmkq8l said:
ImTheScientist":13lmkq8l said:

As was his pro day.

I'm not sure what the op sees in him.

Admittedly did not know about his workouts, that gives me a lot more pause about him. I just saw his name getting an UDFA grade and remembered he had 1st round grades a year ago. But now after looking into his workouts, I see why. Sad really.. kid had a lot of talent. But when you stop caring about the game you can never get that fire back.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
He's probably going to be undrafted, and can only blame himself,as he doesn't seem to really want it. To me just another self destructive young player with an oversized sense of entitlement.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
JSeahawks":3snagitu said:

Playing devil's advocate here for a moment. Remember, it is smoke-screen season. Labels like this... I'm tellin ya, I could totally see that an as EASY thing to throw out there on a player like this. You're going to get some suckers to buy that, if any team happens to have an interest and wants to throw off the scent.

Next, how many of you had it "all together" at his age? I know this is a major interview and all that. But, what has to be determined with a kid that could put together the talent is... can anyone get that talent out of him in the right environment. They invited the kid to the combine for a reason. That tells me he has the potential to be taken, probably in the later rounds (esp now due to said poor showings and so forth.)

I've got the potential of Duke Williams in the back of my mind. I'm sure teams are doing their homework on him. But, IF he gets a shot, he's going to have to be on his best behavior and show something in very short order or will be cut. But, when I watch what he's capable of, I still see a TON of upside there. Call me optimistic (some have). But, I'm not dismissing him... yet. Not sure he's worth a draft pick. But, I wouldn't be upset if they used a late round pick. In that area of the draft, teams can be looking for sleepers, untapped potential, etc. The talent is there - somewhere - with Williams. Pete is a master motivator. The WR group isn't in desperate need, so the Hawks can afford to take a look at some players that might be getting overlooked.

All that said, there are other WR prospects I'd rather see in a Hawks uniform before Williams. (To name a few, the "other" Mike Thomas - So. Miss, Jakeem Grant - yes, Jakeem Grant, Thomas Duarte - yes, Thomas Duarte.)

gowazzu02

Reaction score
This is the type of guy we wouldn't take due to the lack of fire. JS was quoted saying that after the KState 4th rounder busted out, that the hawks have to take the extra step in scouting and find out if the fire burns. Because the hawks practice so hard at such a high level, if your a WR and dont give it 100 Sherm and ET and Kam will kill you.