Potential Leo? Tyrone Holmes from U of montana

titan3131

Reaction score
I like him ALOT. The hawks were there at his pro day.

Unfortunate his arm length is lacking @ 32" i think. 34+ is the ideal. Probably not on our board.

pcbball12

Reaction score
titan3131":3s6qrqup said:
I like him ALOT. The hawks were there at his pro day.

Unfortunate his arm length is lacking @ 32" i think. 34+ is the ideal. Probably not on our board.
My thoughts as well. This is also true of Dean Lowry who has 31" arms at 6'6 (not sure how that is possible). Although if it were me, I would look past it with these two.

DJrmb

Reaction score
They definitely covet length at all positions but I don't think 32" arms would keep him off our draft board. Maybe if we was below that but 32" seems to be more of the cuttoff for the position Holmes would play. I see Holmes as an O'Brien Schofield type (Who had 32 1/4" arms). I think he'd be an option to play some SAM and as a situational pass rusher.

As much as I hate BP this is a really good write up and comparison on Tyrone Holmes:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...holmes-is-one-of-nfl-drafts-best-kept-secrets
In a study including 147 players over a decade, only 26 prospects were up to par with Holmes, and 12 of those 26 came as first-round picks, not including the likes of Justin Houston, who was considered a first-round talent but fell due to a failed drug test at the combine. Outside of the elite of the elite prospects, you really have to dig to find players who are on Holmes' level.

When using the "twitch" metric from Waldo to filter more players, the number of comparable athletes drops even further:

First round: J.J. Watt, Von Miller, DeMarcus Ware, Melvin Ingram, Bruce Irvin, Jerry Hughes, Brandon Graham, Adam Carriker and Jamaal Anderson

Second round: Connor Barwin and Turk McBride

Third round: Chris Gocong

Fourth round: None

titan3131

Reaction score
34 is the cutoff for the LEO position.

32 is for corner.

DJrmb

Reaction score
titan3131":n7hcr1h0 said:

32 is for corner.

Didn't Schofield play some Leo? He had 32.25" arms

Also didn't they draft Ty Powell for Leo? He had 32.5" arms

titan3131

Reaction score
DJrmb":36uph2ur said:
titan3131":36uph2ur said:

32 is for corner.

Didn't Schofield play some Leo?

if you can call his below average time as a back up "play" OBS also took OLB Snaps. Essentially Bruces oldest role as a backup then bruce LB before it was bruces.

To be clear I love this Tyrone holmes as a prospect just dont think we will get him : (

DJrmb

Reaction score
I'm not saying they wouldn't prefer length at the position. I think you're right that they'd ideally like longer arms there but history shows they don't require 34" arms to be considered for LEO:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/paulgallen/status/328275918961405952[/tweet]

Ty Powell
6'2" 249Lbs
32.5" arms

Actually Holmes compares pretty similar to Powell. I think they'd definitely consider Holmes depending on how far he drops.

cheese22

Reaction score
I had never heard of Lowry until now. He is the perfect example for throwing measurable out the window. I love to see what kinds of numbers the freaks can put up but there is something to be said for immeasurable like heart, first step speed, instincts and what you might call farmboy strength. That's where Lowry would be off the charts. His tape is as fun to watch as any DL. He beats OL off the snap, lives in the backfield and on a few plays he literally knocks OL off their feet. I bet he's the kind of guy that makes a roster because you just can't cut him. Check out his tape against Nebraska, he constantly wrecks their line by himself.

cheese22

Reaction score
Didn't mean to hijack. I love the film on Holmes too. I always pull for the small school guys and Holmes looks like he could stick. Definitely looks the part and has the numbers too.

cheese22

Reaction score
Anyone know what the 'twitch metric' is that got mentioned above?

DJrmb

Reaction score
Largent80":rscf8yme said:
How do they measure arm length?.....From the point of the shoulder to the wrist?

The subject stands with the arms hanging loosely by the side of the body, fingers outstretched. A measurement is made from the acromiale (lateral edge of the acromion process, e.g. bony tip of shoulder) to the tip of the little finger. Measurement is made on the right side, following the anthropometric standard, though a measurement of either side would be assumed to be the same in most cases
http://www.topendsports.com/testing/tests/arm-length.htm

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
Great analysis of Holms in the below link. He's a "bender" that can also bull rush with good burst and great effective hand use. Shorter arms didn't seem to be a problem with these reviewers. It would seem that the kid is under valued and will likely be a mid-round pick for some lucky team. In the tape breakdown, Holms has 2 sacks on QB-Wentz and numerous other nice plays. I'm thinking he'd be a good value in round 4/5 for the Seahawks.
https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2016/04/15/r ... s-montana/