Alex McCalister, DE Florida

pcbball12

Reaction score
Just bringing up another name to put in the hat as an edge rusher/ future Leo type of player. Not much hype on him right now, but he has tremendous rushing traits. 36" arms, a quick get off, and one of the better dip/bend moves I have seen. He bends the edge and flattens out so well.

He is kind of a one trick pony at this point and is a little light in the pants to be able to hold up in the run game right now. But, at 6'6 he has a frame to be able to put on 15-20 lbs and not be able to lose a step. He could be a situational rusher while he continues to bulk up and play a bigger role in a few years. They like Obum Gwachum last year enough to draft him, and I think he is better than Obum was with just as much if not more upside. I believe there are red flags on character which will drop him further than he should. In a class with not a whole lot of great edge rushers I would be pretty excited for him in one of the middle rounds.

titan3131

Reaction score
Gwatchum had film of him effectively setting an edge in college.

McCallister is very light in the pants and fails too often in run support.

OP
OP
P

pcbball12

Reaction score
titan3131":2qe59j53 said:
Gwatchum had film of him effectively setting an edge in college.

McCallister is very light in the pants and fails too often in run support.
I agree with that statement, even said so. But McCalister is a better rusher than Gwachum was coming out. He also has a frame to add a decent amount of weight. I just really like the rushing traits as a situational rusher. If he happens to put on weight, I think he could develop into a guy that can effectively set the edge. You can't teach length, 36" arms is ridiculous. Very quick 10 yard split as well and is able to bend the edge at 6'6....got a lot of traits you just can't coach.