Corey Coleman the next Tavon austin or the next Steve Smith

poplarbluffman

Reaction score
I went to every practice at camp when was Austin drafted and saw shockingly he struggled to get open..drafted as a slot wr and lacked the quickness/physicality to beat anyone...watched Danny Amendola for years who couldn't be covered at camp or in games. even in college Austin was actually the #2 wr Rams..Bailey was the #1.

after 3 years Austin is Still a gimic player more then a wr. Coleman really reminds me Austin...or at least more like Austin theen Steve Smith

Steve Smith and Golden Tate were rb's playing wr's..totally different type of highlights..wr types; outbattling cb's for balls,
lot of physicality...hand checks, running through arm tackles, posting up db's

just curious what others think about Coleman

pcbball12

Reaction score
I don't think he projects on the inside (although I think he could do fine there) like Austin and Amendola primarily projected. Austin was a guy who won with gadgets (bubbles, reverses, picks, etc). With the ball in his hands he was dangerous, but really didn't win one on one matchups lined up out wide.

Coleman, while they run their share of gadget plays for him, shows the ability to beat press consistently and win one on one matchups. His footwork at the line is impressive and he obviously has the speed to create a ton of separation once press is beat. He is tough as nails as well. I don't think he goes up and gets it as good as Smith did, but the way he goes up and gets it reminds me a little bit of Tate (not high pointing with hands catches, but blocking out and securing with his body).

I like him. Not number 1 receiver in this class like, but I liked his film plenty.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
I don't think he's quite as bad as Austin. He's a bit overhyped though, I often see him mocked in the mid first most of the time as the 2nd WR drafted. He might be top 5 in this class but I see Treadwell, Doctson, Shepard and Thomas as better prospects than him.

pcbball12

Reaction score
Overseasfan":2b5l77ac said:
I don't think he's quite as bad as Austin. He's a bit overhyped though, I often see him mocked in the mid first most of the time as the 2nd WR drafted. He might be top 5 in this class but I see Treadwell, Doctson, Shepard and Thomas as better prospects than him.
Agree, I like Thomas, Doctson, and Treadwell better. I have pretty close grades on Coleman and Sheppard. Think Sheppard more refined right now, Coleman a little more explosive and better vertically (although Sheppard is plenty explosive).

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I feel bad for Tavon Austin, he's been stuck in purgatory for offense with Jeff Fisher and whatever terrible offensive coordinator he has staffed that particular year. I think had Tavon gone to a more favorable offense or to a coach that knew how to use him, he could have been a star.

I feel like Corey Coleman is very similar in that respect. I've seen him mocked to Houston on a lot of drafts and actually feel like that'd be a great fit for him. He could be the #2 there and if there's a strength to Brock Osweiler's game, its his long ball. I think he'd be a nice fit really for any team with a big armed QB. If Coleman slid out of the 1st round I have to think there would be a lot of teams trying to move up to nab him (a team like Baltimore, Detroit, etc)

He'd be a fun player in Seattle - I just think Jermaine Kearse returning slammed the door shut on a WR going early to us.. barring someone they absolutely love just dropping like a rock. But yeah.. out of the WR's in the draft right now.. he'd be Top 5 at that position for me.