George Fant, whoknowswhatposition, Western Kentucky

McGruff

Reaction score
http://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/wku/f ... b01d8.html

Has a workout scheduled with Seattle.

Former basketball player who played TE this after not having played competitive football since 8th grade. But he's 6'4", 296 pounds with a 37 inch vertical, 9'11 broad and a 4.83 40. And I don't know the arm length, but look at the pics . . . Dude is long.

That's not a TE. That's a tackle, and I'd be willing to bet that is where we would ask him to play.

There is this year's project.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Very intriguing LT prospect. He certainly checks the boxes physically. The thing I worry about these kind of guys that "Completely change their physic" putting all this extra work in before the draft is if they will continue to do all the work to keep it up and to learn the position. You risk a guy just in it to get drafted or latch on and get a paycheck somewhere for a bit and then not really be up for all the work it's going to take keep from reverting back to what they were.

Certainly worth keeping an eye on though and I know John and Pete will do the due diligence to try and best determine his work ethic and I completely trust their judgement.

OP
OP
McGruff

McGruff

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't thint he's draftable, but as a low risk UDFA I think a team with a track record of patience with conversions and UDFA success would certainly be appealling.

He does look a little soft in the middle, which points to rapid unhealthy weight gain, but a pro nutritionist and weight trainer cann shape that up real quick. At least you know he can carry the weight and keep the skills.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
About H-Back to start out. He'd be a monster blocking TE and possibly FB in the mold of Will Tukuafu.

If he shows aptitude in those areas then you'd think hed be able to transition to OT.

If not maybe you see how he fits in as a pass-rusher. Guy is going to be raw as all hell anywhere youd put him. So maybe just identify his knack as a player then develop that.

I feel OT though is a long shot. A lot of things to learn in terms of passblocking, runblocking on an island as well as still working as part of a unit.

However, as a blocking TE or pass-rush DT, he can just really focus on a very low snap role rather than the entirety of the fundamentals of a premium position.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I suspect he'd start out as situational blocking TE/ OLineman in training, like Gary Gilliam was in his first season. His roundball experience will certainly give him some ability to box out defenders on short routes as will his size.

This is the kind of player the team has drafted late with 7th rd picks. His TEF score will be very high with his size/length and the huge long jump and short area numbers.

interesting developmental player.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
If they like his mental aptitude, they will train him up. I am confident that can happen because I watched Gilliam in college, and he looked so awful on the field that I wondered if he could ever play in the NFL, but they made him a passable player.

kearly

Reaction score
I would say that Seattle is still in the process of making Gilliam a passable player. Improve a bit more and he'll be Tyler Polumbus level. I hope that somehow Seattle acquires a blocking TE soon because whoever our LT is, he's going to need it a few games this season.

ivotuk

Reaction score
McGruff":m6qt5lyg said:

Oh. My. God. Look at that guy! Draft him please! Play him at LT and RDE! He looks like an absolute monster!

I kind of pride myself on being good at judging character at early glance. Based on how they move, how they hold themselves, their facial expressions and they way they convey themselves says a lot. This guy looks like a natural at first glance. Something about that picture, perfect form, length and strength. Wow.

Thepeelsessions

Reaction score
I remember watching him play basketball in WKU's tournament game a couple years ago. He couldn't be guarded. He was a monster inside. He had a killer power dribble and finish. He's built like Chuck Hayes, but is worlds more versatile. I honestly think he'd be a good TE if he was closer to 250. He could be worth a flyer late or as a UDFA. He fits the mold for the athletic prospect that the Hawks covet

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Took some time off of .net so I'm a little late on this one.

Crazy that he bulked up to 296...but it looks like he did. He was a very solid 4 for WKU's basketball squad (whom I watch closely as an alum). I believe he played TE this year for the #24 Hilltoppers but has been working out alike a maniac since.

I followed this kid from a sophomore in HS at Warren Central as he was being recruited by WKU for hoops...needless to say, I think it would be rad to get him in a Hawks uniform and allow our guys to coach him up. Very smart, driven, good family, very athletic.

Here's hopin'!

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
ivotuk":34wama2t said:
Nice find McGruff!
May not be roster room for him at Tackle, but whether it's at Tackle or TE, he could prove to be valuable. Maybe another in-line blocking TE to go with our other welcomed draft prize, Vannett. I told my youngest that Vannett's value may not be easily recognizable, but having a blocking TE is going to pay off big time.

Seafan

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be cool with all his athleticism if he turned out to be a great pass rusher?

chris98251

Reaction score
Seafan":utxjkdzu said:
Wouldn't it be cool with all his athleticism if he turned out to be a great pass rusher?

That speed and length if he has a burst and good first step he would be a great project if he has the aptitude, also a DE I think can be brought along faster then a O Line and TE, more natural and feel then making as many reads. We have some good guys to teach different moves as well.