Players you Love that the Seahawks won't Draft

Husky Seahawk

Reaction score
I am finally starting to watch some tape on players for this years draft. A friend told me to check out the QB for TCU because he saw a bit of Russell Wilson in his game. While watching some video, I noticed his wide receiver Josh Doctson. This guys ability to make a big play caught my eye, so I started watching more.

Wow, am I impressed with this guy. He has very good measurables (6'2'' 4.5 forty 41'' vertical) and can make a big play. He seems to have great hands and an ability to separate from a DB at the right moment. I would love to see this guy as a Seahawk, but it would probably take their 1st round pick to get him. Give that we just drafted P-Rich and Lockett, in addition the resigning of Kearse, it just doesn't make sense for the Seahawks.

What are some of your favorite players this year that the Seahawks probably won't draft?

pcbball12

Reaction score
Husky Seahawk":3hme5g2e said:
I am finally starting to watch some tape on players for this years draft. A friend told me to check out the QB for TCU because he saw a bit of Russell Wilson in his game. While watching some video, I noticed his wide receiver Josh Doctson. This guys ability to make a big play caught my eye, so I started watching more.

Wow, am I impressed with this guy. He has very good measurables (6'2'' 4.5 forty 41'' vertical) and can make a big play. He seems to have great hands and an ability to separate from a DB at the right moment. I would love to see this guy as a Seahawk, but it would probably take their 1st round pick to get him. Give that we just drafted P-Rich and Lockett, in addition the resigning of Kearse, it just doesn't make sense for the Seahawks.

What are some of your favorite players this year that the Seahawks probably won't draft?
I'm with you on Doctson, my favorite WR in this draft but probably gone before we pick and even if not I doubt we invest a 1st in WR. Another favorite of mine is Karl Joseph, S from W.Virginia. An absolute playmaker that has a great feel in zone, can man up in slot, plays ball well, and thumps in run game. Flies across the screen. I have this terrible feeling he ends up in Arizona with their 1st round pick putting their secondary over the top. I can't stomach the thought of him and Mathieu roaming the field side by side (I love both of them it would pain me to see them both in Cards unis). Not to mention Deone who is basically just a safety playing linebacker.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Apparently I'm not the only one with a huge mancrush on Doctson. The kid's going to be special but sadly it probably won't be for us. I also have a feeling Paxton Lynch is going to be a really good QB, not Russell Wilson level of course but I could see him reach Eli Manning/Matt Ryan type of play.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
Agree with Karl Joseph. IMO, he's the most "Seahawky" guy in the draft.

Another personal favorite is Corey Coleman. I'd absolutely love to see him with Doug and Lockett on the field. Lordy that would be just filthy to watch.

cheese22

Reaction score
I'd love to see Braxton Miller or Bralon Addison as a dynamic third down back. Others are Dean Lowry, Killebrew, Dan Vitale, Jaylon Smith, Justin Zimmer, Devon Cajuste, Tanner MacEvoy, etc. I do think there's a chance they draft Zimmer as a convert and Cajuste if he lasts long enough. Otherwise I think the rest are out for different reasons. I've watched too much film and I'm starting to really like some guys that we won't pick. I'm setting myself up for some heartbreak.

NYCoug

Reaction score
Jack Allen. I think his size will keep him off the Seahawks board, and many other teams for that matter, but whoever pulls the trigger on him is going to get the next Jeff Saturday. I hope we look past the Sparq, broad jump, etc. and give this kid a shot because of his grit, toughness, leadership, technique, leverage, and anchor. Odds are, we won't, so I've erased it from my mind as an actual possibility. Here's to being pleasantly surprised!

pcbball12

Reaction score
NYCoug":28qeuhwq said:
Jack Allen. I think his size will keep him off the Seahawks board, and many other teams for that matter, but whoever pulls the trigger on him is going to get the next Jeff Saturday. I hope we look past the Sparq, broad jump, etc. and give this kid a shot because of his grit, toughness, leadership, technique, leverage, and anchor. Odds are, we won't, so I've erased it from my mind as an actual possibility. Here's to being pleasantly surprised!
Good call on Allen. Love his tape. Undersized but it means squat because he anchors as well as any C in this class and is tough as nails. Like you said though, it would be out of character of JS/PC to take him (although I hope they do if the spot is right).

kearly

Reaction score
C Nick Martin. His broad jump is about a full foot short of Seattle's cutoff point, and on tape he is a fringe level athlete. But he is very polished and his brother is already a good NFL player. He'll be a steal in the 2nd or 3rd round, for some other team.

DE Emmanuel Ogbah. He might be on Seattle's board but my hunch is that Seattle will want someone with a more versatile inside-out skillset. Ogbah is risky but his upside is enormous and he feels much more likely to reach his upside than guys like Quinton Coples did.

OT Shon Coleman. He has some stuff to work on, but most of the time he looks like a good NFL left tackle. Unfortunately his medical issues and inability to perform drills will probably scare Seattle away.

OTs Taylor Decker and Jack Conklin. Both will be good pros in all likelihood, probably at RT. But neither of them managed a 9 foot broad jump, so they are probably off Seattle's board.

RB Kenneth Dixon. Seattle has only drafted one RB slower than Dixon, and that was Spencer Ware with a 6th round pick. I have a hard time seeing them draft a RB with mediocre speed and explosiveness in round 2. Which is a shame, because Dixon is probably the 2nd best RB in the draft after Elliot.

LB Scooby Wright. The least athletic playmaking LB out of the state of Arizona since Vontaze Burfict. Wright isn't even remotely athletic enough for Seattle, but his instincts and intangibles are extremely good. He's basically from the same school of player as guys like Lofa Tatupu, Chris Borland, Kiko Alonso, and Honey Badger.

OP
OP
Husky Seahawk

Husky Seahawk

Reaction score
pcbball12":10vry56o said:
NYCoug":10vry56o said:
Good call on Allen. Love his tape. Undersized but it means squat because he anchors as well as any C in this class and is tough as nails. Like you said though, it would be out of character of JS/PC to take him (although I hope they do if the spot is right).

Wow I'm quite impressed with Jack Allen. I know the Seahawks front office likes the SPARQ guys but Allen looks to possess good athleticism for the postion. His ability to pull on running plays is awesome although he doesn't always find his man. You would think that the coaching staff would like this guys toughness and tenacity.

Hopefully the front office doesn't rule him out because of his size. Because ya' know... Russell Wilson... ;)

NYCoug

Reaction score
Husky Seahawk":35gqy9eb said:
pcbball12":35gqy9eb said:
NYCoug":35gqy9eb said:

Wow I'm quite impressed with Jack Allen. I know the Seahawks front office likes the SPARQ guys but Allen looks to possess good athleticism for the postion. His ability to pull on running plays is awesome although he doesn't always find his man. You would think that the coaching staff would like this guys toughness and tenacity.

Hopefully the front office doesn't rule him out because of his size. Because ya' know... Russell Wilson... ;)

I'm in agreement with you fellas, obviously. Good call about Russell Wilson bucking the trend when it comes to certain perceived size limitations at his position. Same goes for Sherman and Chancellor, guys who were said to be almost "too big" to play their respective positions.

Low man wins in football and especially in the NFL, it's part of the reason a guy like Aaron Donald is able to have so much success in the trenches. Among other things of course, like fantastic god given athletic ability. Still, Jack Allen's a former wrestler and he understands the art of hand to hand combat. It won't be as easy for Mr. Donald to get leverage on Allen as it is against some of the other taller centers in the league, even ones who play with good leverage.

I've taught myself to never get too attached to a draft prospect now that PC/JS have proven they know what they're doing. However, I can't help but just watch this and drool...

[youtube]9nV9VS8UL2Q[/youtube]

Watch Allen on the play starting at 2:01. Schneider's talked about getting some of that bully back on the team and especially in the trenches. Well, I don't think adding Jack Allen to the equation would hurt matters in that regard.

McGruff

Reaction score
Husky Seahawk":3ah2dej3 said:

Depending on how the draft falls, I think Doctson is absolutely in play for Seattle at 26. They'd be going against everything John and Pete preach if he isnt.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
NYCoug":34jouotk said:

Good call. The fact he can actually block and isn't a project will keep him off the Seahawk board.

Erebus

Reaction score
I'm also on the Doctson bandwagon. I was beating the drum for him earlier in the offseason, but we don't need to take a WR early now that Kearse has been resigned, although he would be a big upgrade over Kearse. He's one of my top three favorite players in this draft. I would be stoked if we took him anyways despite the lack of need.

two dog

Reaction score
I have come 180 degrees on Robert Nkemdiche. If, and it's a huge IF, Pete can reign him in
he could be very special. To quote the great Bear Bryant, "he may not know come here from
sic 'em but he sure as hell knows sic 'em".

I also can't stop thinking about the long arms and big hands of Stephen Weatherly coupled with
his 1.59 10 yd. split at 267 lbs. I also like Brandon Kaufusi even though BYU defenders scare
me when they turn pro. Kamalei Correa because of his production and a cool name.

Dan Vitale seems an obvious choice for an obvious need. When do you last remember the Seahawks
doing the obvious thing? I'm sure they will know a lot more about the Fullback that I never heard
of that they will ultimately choose.

In most conversations Derrick Henry seems to be defined more by what he can't do than what he can.
The things he does well, he does very well and he fits Pete's pounding running style very well it seems
to me. My regard for Tyler Ervin is documented in several posts but I was somewhat surprised
that Henry's 10 yd. split was just 4/100ths less than that of Ervin despite a 55 lb. difference in
their weight.

Please, a center. Not a CONVERT to center but a genuine card-carrying center. Jack Allen, Spencer
Pulley, Nick Martin, Max Tuerk. Just somebody who has a chance to cope somewhat with the
Aaron Donalds and Kawann Shorts of the NFL world.

Also, I loveVernon Adams but just don't see it happening unless it's in free agency. If you believe
what Jon Schneider said, free agency could be brutally competitive this year.

cover-2

Reaction score
Alabama DT Jarran Reed - I'm a huge fan of Reed, he is an elite run-stuffer, hard hitting DT. He was not much of a pass rusher and he does not have the athletic upside to develop into a pass rusher. IMO he will be a key cog for someone's defense for years.

Notre Dame OC Nick Martin - He is a marginal athlete, that I doubt the Seahawks would draft in the first three rounds. I like his experience, intelligence, and most of all his leadership. For me, I would want one of my team leaders to be my starting Center.

Arkansas RB Alex Collins - Collins runs with good power and outstanding balance. But, Collins was bit underwhelming with the combine tests, so I doubt the Seahawks would consider him in the first three rounds.

McGruff

Reaction score
two dog":1gz7xwcm said:
I have come 180 degrees on Robert Nkemdiche. If, and it's a huge IF, Pete can reign him in
he could be very special. To quote the great Bear Bryant, "he may not know come here from
sic 'em but he sure as hell knows sic 'em".

I also can't stop thinking about the long arms and big hands of Stephen Weatherly coupled with
his 1.59 10 yd. split at 267 lbs. I also like Brandon Kaufusi even though BYU defenders scare
me when they turn pro. Kamalei Correa because of his production and a cool name.

Dan Vitale seems an obvious choice for an obvious need. When do you last remember the Seahawks
doing the obvious thing? I'm sure they will know a lot more about the Fullback that I never heard
of that they will ultimately choose.

In most conversations Derrick Henry seems to be defined more by what he can't do than what he can.
The things he does well, he does very well and he fits Pete's pounding running style very well it seems
to me. My regard for Tyler Ervin is documented in several posts but I was somewhat surprised
that Henry's 10 yd. split was just 4/100ths less than that of Ervin despite a 55 lb. difference in
their weight.

Please, a center. Not a CONVERT to center but a genuine card-carrying center. Jack Allen, Spencer
Pulley, Nick Martin, Max Tuerk. Just somebody who has a chance to cope somewhat with the
Aaron Donalds and Kawann Shorts of the NFL world.

Also, I loveVernon Adams but just don't see it happening unless it's in free agency. If you believe
what Jon Schneider said, free agency could be brutally competitive this year.

I can see Seattle being very interested and willing to draft every single one of these prospects.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Keith Marshall, Braxton Miller, Nick Martin, Eli Apple, Corey Coleman, Josh Doctson, Will Fuller, Cyrus Jones, Nick Vannett, Keenan Reynolds (don't know if he'll pan out in the pros.. just love the kid)

kearly

Reaction score
two dog":325ya38j said:
My regard for Tyler Ervin is documented in several posts but I was somewhat surprised
their weight.

Good thoughts. I agree with McGruff, most of the players you like will probably at least be on Seattle's radar, including Henry.

Regarding the quoted text, I would say there is an important distinction between a 1.56 and 1.61 split. It may only look like a .05 second difference, but if you rank all draftable halfbacks and assign them a percentile based on their 10 yard split the past several years, Henry is probably ~25th percentile and Ervin is probably ~70th percentile. Henry's 4.54 40 time would probably be 50th percentile while Ervin's 4.39 would probably be about 85th percentile (I'm estimating on these numbers).

Basically, one RB is poor to average and the other is very good to elite in those areas. And that's not even getting into field speed which Ervin has an insane amount of. Ervin feels more explosive than Christine Michael on tape (Michael's ten yard split was 1.49) and has C2k in his prime exhibitions of speed.

The problem with Henry isn't just what he can't do, it's that what he can do well doesn't really mesh with Seattle's apparent strengths. Henry needs a very specific type of environment to have success, and it's not only Seahawks fans that are saying this. Countless analysts have mentioned this, most recently X's and O's guru Greg Cosell.

Cosell compares Derrick Henry to DeMarco Murray. Putting aside that this is a very generous comparison (Murray ran a 4.41 with a 1.55 split), it is useful because even for as talented as Murray is, we have seen first hand evidence of how drastically his results changed when he moved from Dallas to Philadelphia. Did Philadelphia expose Murray to be a fraud of a RB? Not at all. It simply underscored the need for the right RB to be in the right system.

Henry was a beast at Alabama because he was the epitome of an Alabama RB. He fit their system like a glove. If you could replicate that system, with a bunch of badass offensive lineman and a highly effective inline blocking scheme, with full backs and tight ends making major contributions in the run game, basically a team like Dallas in 2014 or SF from 2011-2013, then Henry will end up being just as good for that team as he was for Alabama.

It's nothing against Henry, but Seattle is not even remotely close to being that team. Our TEs mostly suck at blocking. Our fullbacks have been mediocre and are both currently free agents. Our offensive line was on pace to be historically bad in the first half of last season before going to spread looks. Even with Marshawn Lynch at RB, our inline running game was terrible. Basically, the last thing we want is to return to inline power football, until there is a dramatic improvement in blocking personnel.

That's why I'm against the pick. It's not so much a knock against Henry. I think he could be great for the right team. I just think Seattle is the worst case scenario for him and vice-versa, especially if it forces Seattle into more inline blocking looks which were so disastrous in 2015.

Of course, PC/JS do not always agree with me, and I think for Pete the idea of being the big bully on the block is really hard for him to let go of. Also, there is a very slight concern on the existing roster about power running, as both Rawls and Michael were mediocre in obvious rush situations last year. If Henry falls far enough, I think he becomes a person of interest for Seattle, even though, in my opinion, he should not be.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Javon Hargrave. I really think he could have a Rocky Bernard-like career. Crazy body control on film for a 300 pound dude.