DT David Onemata...another freak athlete

cover-2

Reaction score
Manitoba DT David Onyemata is another athletic DT that is worth keeping an eye on during the draft. He was the best DT in Canada college football, so he was a big fish in a little pond. He flashes good initial quickness, which he cemented with a 1.66 10-yard split. He is very raw, but he has the tools to be a disruptive 3-tech DT or another DT-to-OG conversion for Coach Cable. Seahawks had a scout at Onyemata's Pro Day, so he is on the Seahawks radar.

th

His Pro Day stats:
- 6-3 300 lbs.
- 33 inch vertical
- 9'11" broad jump
- 33 reps on the bench press
= 98.8 weight adjusted TEF
- 4.69 shuttle
- 7.25 3-cone
- 5.07 40-yard
- 1.66 10- yard split: This is an elite 10-yard split for a DT, better than Rankins, Hargrave, Nkemdiche.
- eyeballing his arm length I'd estimate 34 or 35 inch arm length
He has a very good weight adjusted TEF. Onyemata also has an elite 10-yard split, with very good agility #'s, which are not taken into account in the TEF.

[youtube]qTCs0mDtyFI[/youtube]

[youtube]Njrt9hchWMc[/youtube]

[youtube]PmwSU5-S1zI[/youtube]

kearly

Reaction score
Check out the 0:54 mark in the second video.

Nice find. His measurements are much better than previous Canadian DT converts Akiem Hicks and Stefan Charles, who ran their 10 yard split at 1.77 and 1.78 respectively.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
kearly":gb4znp6e said:

Nice find. His measurements are much better than previous Canadian DT converts Akiem Hicks and Stefan Charles, who ran their 10 yard split at 1.77 and 1.78 respectively.
Check out how he slows up at the 1:07 mark in that second video in the 3 cone drill. I hate when they don't finish. I'm around football and coaches that run these drills all the time. Can't be having to tell a guy in a position like this to not slow up. He should know that. Do they stop the timing before he gets there? (Or, maybe he felt something pull and slowed up.) I don't know.
Not knocking the prospect, but just noticed that and had to say something. Correct me if I'm missing something there with his effort. Again, he could have felt something and slowed up as a precaution.

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":1hohdh18 said:
Check out how he slows up at the 1:07 mark in that second video in the 3 cone drill. I hate when they don't finish. I'm around football and coaches that run these drills all the time. Can't be having to tell a guy in a position like this to not slow up. He should know that. Do they stop the timing before he gets there? (Or, maybe he felt something pull and slowed up.) I don't know.
Not knocking the prospect, but just noticed that and had to say something. Correct me if I'm missing something there with his effort. Again, he could have felt something and slowed up as a precaution.

I noticed that too, but I think that is nit picking a bit. It would be a concern if his tape showed that he quickly gave up on plays, low motor kind of prospect like Ogbah or Oakman. From his highlights, it looks like he has a good motor, so him pulling up a little early on a drill doesn't concern me.

kearly

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":33g6imqv said:
kearly":33g6imqv said:

I'm simply pointing out the man in the Seahawks jacket. Seattle likes special athletes.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
cover-2":7qh10lzy said:
TeamoftheCentury":7qh10lzy said:

I noticed that too, but I think that is nit picking a bit. It would be a concern if his tape showed that he quickly gave up on plays, low motor kind of prospect like Ogbah or Oakman. From his highlights, it looks like he has a good motor, so him pulling up a little early on a drill doesn't concern me.
No, it's nit picking A LOT. No "a bit" about it. I think that's what this time is about... nit picking. Again, not down on the prospect nor failing to notice tape. Saying don't slow up when you're performing for the most important interview to date. I see coaches regularly running High School and Youth Football players through these drills and they're on their case for such lack of finish. :Dunno:

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
kearly":bidgy40m said:
TeamoftheCentury":bidgy40m said:
kearly":bidgy40m said:

I'm simply pointing out the man in the Seahawks jacket. Seattle likes special athletes.
Yes, I realized the scout in the jacket was what you were pointing out. I saw someone at the Penn State Pro Day as well. Do teams have merely a "general" representation at most or all of these things. Or, do we assume otherwise when we see specific teams represented?

OP
OP
C

cover-2

Reaction score
I was hoping to get Onemata in the 5th or 6th round, but the Saints just crushed that dream. Saints took him in the 4th round.

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
cover-2":13llozil said:
I was hoping to get Onemata in the 5th or 6th round, but the Saints just crushed that dream. Saints took him in the 4th round.
It's Kearly's fault. ;) I tried to throw off the scent here b/c - of course - other teams' scouts are scouring this board for intel. :lol:

McGruff

Reaction score
TeamoftheCentury":33wghq2c said:
cover-2":33wghq2c said:
It's Kearly's fault. ;) I tried to throw off the scent here b/c - of course - other teams' scouts are scouring this board for intel. :lol:

Probably why they picked Evan Boehm before Seattle could snatch him up!

TeamoftheCentury

Reaction score
McGruff":1c3ilplm said:
TeamoftheCentury":1c3ilplm said:
cover-2":1c3ilplm said:

Probably why they picked Evan Boehm before Seattle could snatch him up!
The plan worked. Gave Boehm enough air time to snooker Bruce Arians. You played along perfectly. Kept the attention off Joey Hunt.
Seinfeld-Money.gif