Andrew Billings or Robert Nkemdiche

delagator7

Reaction score
Do you prefer a Brandon Mebane NT type like Andrew Billings or an once in a explosive 3 technique Robert Nkemdiche?

I hear Billings is "Superman" country strong. I don't know if he will be available at #26
Nkemdiche has explosive potential but with a lot of baggage, is he worth the risk?
Both choices collapses the pocket, leaving our edge rushers a field day.

Davidess

Reaction score
I'd say billings. But the thing with Nkemdiche is hes a little more versatile. Billings is strictly a 1-tech and lacks gap discipline which saw T.Y McGill be cut at the end of TC last year.

McGruff

Reaction score
Nkemdiche.

Run stuffers are frequently available later in the draft ND cheap in free agency. Viable interior pass rushers are premium players. To me they are like quarterbacks. If you don't have one and have a shot at getting one, especially on a rookie contract, you've got to take that chance.

I don't see a big difference between Billings and DJ Reader. In fact, I think I prefer Reader.

pcbball12

Reaction score
To me this is a question of safe pick vs upside pick. Although, I believe Billings offers more than just 1 tech run stuffing ability. He has rare side to side agility for his size which makes me believe he could be a good 3 tech as well. However, Nkemdiche is a game wrecker interior rusher....and those are much harder to come by. Like McGruff said, when you have an opportunity to add those kinds of players (especially at 26) you add those kinds of players. Ultimately, I believe they are both top 10 talents in this draft and the odds of one of them (let alone both) falling to 26 aren't great. But, I believe the character concerns do give Nkemdiche a much higher chance of that happening than Billings falling that far.

I think McGruff and I are the only two Nkemdiche supporters in here that I have seen. I definitely get the hesitation with the guy.

titan3131

Reaction score
I was against him early but the span article yesterday changed my view on him.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Billings all day. Not remotely close.

Only reason Nkemdiche is even talked about in the top 64 is because he was considered a possible #1 overall as a freshman. He's underdelivered on his promise consistently every single year since.

That's the football side. The total "doesn't get this whole being an adult thing" is an entirely different matter.

Day three consideration. If I'm a GM, I let someone else burn an early pick on him. But if he slides like Jesse Williams did, I probably trade up late to snag him. I don't take him in the top 120 overall.

seatownlowdown

Reaction score
id prefer billings, as besides the fact he would be a perfect fit for 1 tech, has enough athleticism/versatility to slide to 3 tech, and has no known past character or effort issues as nkemdiche does. billings could very likely become a top player in the core of our defense for 5+ years

but i wouldnt write off pcjs taking a freak like nkemdiche. they could conceivably take a chance on him depending on how the draft dominoes fall- remember these guys have taken chances on talented-but-tainted players, and nkemdiche has as much talent as any of em. pcjs have taken gambles in the 1st round and have even traded a 1st round pick for a player like harvin. totally conceivable

kearly

Reaction score
If Nkemdiche was motivated, had a good attitude, stayed clean and was half as good as everyone wants to believe he is, then sure.

Billings is actually a poor run defender, but does more to help the pass rush than any other DT in the draft. He won't get a lot of sacks, but he'll probably add a half dozen sacks collectively to the defenders around him with his ability to crash the pocket.

Seattle isn't well set up to take advantage of Billings yet, unless they move Clark back to DT to pair with him. Still, I'd take Billings in a heartbeat over Nkemdiche.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
In previous drafts, I had WR-Martavis Bryant as the "tall" WR the Seahawks should go after strongly. I couldn't understand why they passed, and since then we have learned why (1-year suspension). Frank Clark was a pick of mine last year that had red flags, but the Seahawks investigated & bought into him anyway. Clark's off-field issues however were not even close to this Nkemdiche kid's (he & his brothers actions & especially his crap attitude), I see a firm pass again for sure.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Neither....I believe Vernon Butler is better prospect than both of them.
[youtube]VgOxjWwxtVo[/youtube]

OP
OP
D

delagator7

Reaction score
Butler is a guy they are looking at.. they brought him in for a private workout, and a reasonable choice at #26.
Reminds me of Mohammed Wilkerson of the Jets.

McGruff

Reaction score
delagator7":2usl2f4c said:
Butler is a guy they are looking at.. they brought him in for a private workout, and a reasonable choice at #26.

So is Bullard.

xgeoff

Reaction score
hawkfan68":35mlm59e said:
Neither....I believe Vernon Butler is better prospect than both of them.
[youtube]VgOxjWwxtVo[/youtube]

Wow, I do not like this guys tape at all. He's an arm tackle rand he seems to struggle getting people down after he grabs them up high.

Best thing he does is jump with good timing to block passes. I'll be disappointed if we take this guy.

gowazzu02

Reaction score
delagator7":3vfpagp9 said:

If you know about the workout,,,,its not private. And if they brought him in for a workout, they wont draft him.

McGruff

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3g3pxprc said:
delagator7":3g3pxprc said:

If you know about the workout,,,,its not private. And if they brought him in for a workout, they wont draft him.

Not true. They've drafted lots of guys they've worked out. I think four of our picks past came in for predraft visits or were combine interviews.

kobebryant

Reaction score
gowazzu02":exjb18cc said:
delagator7":exjb18cc said:

Weren't Michael and Clark both pre-draft visits to the facility?

Blaze808

Reaction score
Both. In the slim chance that they both fall I'd be siked. Some mocks have Bob dropping to the mid 2nd round. With a little JS/PC magic it might happen in my delusional world.