Apparently Ervin is on somebody else's radar for the Hawks

McGruff

Reaction score
HawkGA":12nuedac said:
http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25558113/nfl-mock-draft-all-seven-rounds-including-team-by-team-picks

That may be the single best informed national mock for Seattle I have seen.

One interesting side note not related to Seattle. He has UCLA OL Caleb Benenoch going in the 2nd round. I've yet to see him higher than a 6th or 7th round pick. Wierd.

pcbball12

Reaction score
McGruff":1ev1nbny said:
HawkGA":1ev1nbny said:
http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft-scout/25558113/nfl-mock-draft-all-seven-rounds-including-team-by-team-picks

That may be the single best informed national mock for Seattle I have seen.

One interesting side note not related to Seattle. He has UCLA OL Caleb Benenoch going in the 2nd round. I've yet to see him higher than a 6th or 7th round pick. Wierd.
Ya, Dane is good man. I believe he has a relationship with some of the Seahawks media/twitter guys so he is usually pretty informed and in tune with the hawks.

penihawk

Reaction score
Not crazy about this mock but it checks most of the boxes for us and its filled with upside. My head wants me to like Spriggs & Jones but my gut tells me otherwise. I hope I'm dead wrong because I have a feeling both are high on our board.

I think Bennenoch and Aaron Wallace have been noticed for their extreme athleticism with all the attention UCLA has been paid for higher profile prospects and they both flash on tape although pretty raw. I think they both moved up a couple rounds from where they were projected.

kearly

Reaction score
Starting off with Spriggs and Jones would ruin the draft for me. Points for realism though.

Is it just me or are there an insanely high number of players this year that divide opinion sharply?

pcbball12

Reaction score
kearly":pafziyta said:
Starting off with Spriggs and Jones would ruin the draft for me. Points for realism though.

Is it just me or are there an insanely high number of players this year that divide opinion sharply?
Totally seems that way. Lots of polarizing players.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
kearly":2qjr21t0 said:

Probably a byproduct of the general smooth talent curve between 20 and 100. People lock on to their favorites and almost start to hate other alternatives.

When there are more clearly defined pools of talent then you don't have so many alternatives to a personal favorite.

cheese22

Reaction score
If we take 2 CB's and a S I will be missed. We have plenty of depth in both spots. I would much rather see 3 more OL/DL taken to give us more chances of finding a diamond. Plus, the more I read, the more I want us to draft interior OL. We are not set at T but we are weaker inside at C and LG.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
cheese22":1tmtb66r said:
If we take 2 CB's and a S I will be missed. We have plenty of depth in both spots. I would much rather see 3 more OL/DL taken to give us more chances of finding a diamond. Plus, the more I read, the more I want us to draft interior OL. We are not set at T but we are weaker inside at C and LG.

I'll be severely missed too :lol:

Not sure if it'll be accounted for, but the fact that our 5th and 6th round picks this year were already used for Kelcie and Mohammed last year -- wondering if we've already hit our 'quota' so to speak.

The position group is loaded on the roster. But then again the S position is pretty loaded in this class. I could see us getting value with a day 3 athletic safety. Should be several of them available with the 5th round comp.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Going off his draft flow, id pick:

1: Ifredi over Spriggs: Ifredi has the athleticism to play LT down the road by slimming down and adding strength. However, he can immediately challenge Webb or Britt positions. Or allow Webb to challenge Britt.

2: Hargrave over Jones. I like Jones more than most but Hargraves ceiling of potential and upside is much more special. If he doesnt last to the end of the third round Id have no issues picking him at 56.

3: OL McGovern over Oregon OC

Slot him in the Center competition.

3: LB Josh Perry: Similar to Wright in a lot of ways in terms of length and athleticism. He has the size to be an edge setter and the attitude to be an aggressive thumper which is mostly what the SLB does on the first two downs.

4: RB Drake over Ervin: I wouldnt mind either pick but Drake is low mileage and has the all around ability with a little more anchor to develop into a quality 3rd down back.

5: WR Cajuste. Gut instinct told me to go Haeg or Thuney but this seems like a Seahawksy 5th round pick. A big WR with elite athleticism (4.6 forty, 6.5 three cone) for his size (6'4, 234). Tenacious blocker. Can be big WR or small TE that could push Helfet, Smith, and Williams on the back end of the WR/TE corps.

6: Travis Feeny: I think he might be almost maxed out as pass-rusher but you could take all his experience and develop him into an all-around SS. His size compares well with Kam coming in and his athleticism is a twitch better. If it works out imagine a safety who could be an elite pass rusher as a blitzer.

7. DT Zimmer. Liked the pick.

7. FB Vitale. Wasnt drafted but this is a need and Vitale is an all around player who probably is already better than Coleman as an FB. I think his upside is John Kuhn.

Also, since Seahawks added Browner, and 5th and 6th rounders in this draft were used to get Seisay and McCray I doubt the Seahawks draft 3 DBs like this guy has us taking. If Feeney doesnt work at safety, the plus side with him is that he can develop into other roles.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
I think this is very Lazy analysis, seems many don't know the Seahawks REAL team needs, OL/DL/OLB. We don't need multiple CB picks, although IMO a FS pick to replace Terrell as ET's backup is a major need as well. If RW is hurt, the season would be in doubt, however T-Jack or equivalent will be there. If Sherman is hurt, their are multiple backups at CB, but what if ET were to get hurt (AGAIN)? Terrell is taking up a roster spot that can surely be upgraded in this draft with even a middle to late round pick, it would be foolish not to do so IMO.

kearly

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":wz4znzzi said:
kearly":wz4znzzi said:

Probably a byproduct of the general smooth talent curve between 20 and 100. People lock on to their favorites and almost start to hate other alternatives.

When there are more clearly defined pools of talent then you don't have so many alternatives to a personal favorite.

I may be speaking only for myself, but for me it's not a case of playing favorites. I think this draft stinks and there isn't a single player I'd pound the table for at #26. In fact I would say this draft is more about avoiding landmines than about finding draft steals. I'm not even joking, I was more excited for the #63 pick last year than I am for #26 this year. And last year's draft wasn't even that good.

I don't always get picks right, but when I sense a hype job, that guy is always a bust. Every time. And I've honestly never seen a year with more hype jobs than this year.

I think a lot of other people get this instinct too, but this year there seems to be a lot of disagreement about who those guys are.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
2 CBs and a S, without a single LB being taken.

Not only is that not what I want to see, I just don't see it happening.

I figured we'd probably draft 2 DBs, but with the Hawks signing Browner i think there's a better chance of us drafting 1 DB than 3.

If Marsh and Clark don't pan out at LB we would really regret not bringing in at least a decent backup with one of our picks.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
kearly":jbbzmhrv said:
Attyla the Hawk":jbbzmhrv said:
kearly":jbbzmhrv said:

I may be speaking only for myself, but for me it's not a case of playing favorites. I think this draft stinks and there isn't a single player I'd pound the table for at #26. In fact I would say this draft is more about avoiding landmines than about finding draft steals. I'm not even joking, I was more excited for the #63 pick last year than I am for #26 this year. And last year's draft wasn't even that good.

I don't always get picks right, but when I sense a hype job, that guy is always a bust. Every time. And I've honestly never seen a year with more hype jobs than this year.

I think a lot of other people get this instinct too, but this year there seems to be a lot of disagreement about who those guys are.
So when Schneider said it's the best draft he's seen since 2010 do you think he means it or is intentionally being misleading?

Unless he plans on trying to unload picks this year for better picks next year i don't see the reasoning behind even saying it's the best draft in years. Even if he's just trying to trade out of the 1st round it won't really increase the value of a late 1st by much at all.

Didn't someone say somewhere that the Hawks have a lot more players on their draft board this year? Only thing I can think of is that because it's a numbers game, the more players they have on their board the more likely that at each pick they will have someone on the board that they consider really good value (by a round or more).

kearly

Reaction score
McGruff":2apjnflk said:

This seems like the classic type of draft where you see a large number of late round prospects becoming surprise picks on day two.

kearly

Reaction score
bjornanderson21":16f7yjo4 said:
So when Schneider said it's the best draft he's seen since 2010 do you think he means it or is intentionally being misleading?

Unless he plans on trying to unload picks this year for better picks next year i don't see the reasoning behind even saying it's the best draft in years. Even if he's just trying to trade out of the 1st round it won't really increase the value of a late 1st by much at all.

Didn't someone say somewhere that the Hawks have a lot more players on their draft board this year? Only thing I can think of is that because it's a numbers game, the more players they have on their board the more likely that at each pick they will have someone on the board that they consider really good value (by a round or more).

I think he's being truthful. JS is a big believer in taking a shotgun approach to the draft since it's an approach that the Seahawks coaching staff has had so much success with. Other than OL, Seattle has done a very good job of player development and JS likes to use that to his advantage.

So for him, he probably get more excited about a draft with a bigger draft board than he would about having an opportunity to draft the next Earl Thomas with an early pick.

I just found his comments about having a huge big board to be surprising. Seattle emphasizes athleticism and measurables so strongly, and this is one of the least athletic drafts in recent memory.

McGruff

Reaction score
kearly":2k7otqie said:
McGruff":2k7otqie said:

This seems like the classic type of draft where you see a large number of late round prospects becoming surprise picks on day two.

On path to the draft last they had two scenarios for the Seahawks.

The first had us taking Le'Raven Clark in the 1st.

The second had us taking Caleb Benenoch in the 2nd.

I'm a big fan of Benenoch, but I'm shocked to see him suddenly mocked that high.