Jared Goff

cdallan

Reaction score
I have not seen one snap this guy has taken, but I've just read two scouting reports that make him sound like the second coming of Sam Bradford. Unless the Rams are as predictable in having a type as me, is this inaccurate (pun not intended)? Doesn't sound like the best year to sell the farm for the first pick.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I like the guy, and hope the Rams take the ND doofus.

pehawk

Reaction score
It doesn't make sense to sell the farm for Goff or Wentz, no. But it sure works out well for Roger, huh? New team in long coveted market, and, I'll be damned they now have the #1 pick with no reports on whom they'll select.

I'm not saying its a conspiracy...just saying the situation would make Vince McMahon blush.

randomation

Reaction score
Watching his highlights I would bet every single one of his top 3 receivers will at the very least get a cup of coffee in the NFL. The biggest thing that struck me is how often in his highlights his receivers had to slow down or even stop for balls, if that continues I hope the Rams do take him because if he can't fix that I think he will be average at best.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Scottemojo":26pdjdep said:
I like the guy, and hope the Rams take the ND doofus.

Lol, Goff is going to end up in Philly, and from Nov-Jan he'll fumble about 15 times every year. Watch his game vs UO in 2014, 6 fumbles in a quarter in the rain, before being benched. Tiny hands. And if he becomes a Ram, I doubt he wins many games in Seattle ever.

kearly

Reaction score
I think he is a lot like Matt Ryan. A good polished passer who can work within structure or can improvise to make plays. Like Ryan, he has suffered a bit from playing on a mediocre team.

He also shares negative qualities with Ryan. Namely, both Goff and Ryan struggle to win games they weren't supposed to win. They tend to win games they are supposed to but only rarely win as heavy underdogs. Both tend to crumble a bit under adversity.

Like Scotte, I am hoping the Rams take Wentz. Wentz is a classic case of a QB getting hyped because of tools.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Best case he's a very poor man's Andy Dalton. Horrible move but I'm glad the Ram's made it.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
pehawk":1h4jz58n said:
It doesn't make sense to sell the farm for Goff or Wentz, no. But it sure works out well for Roger, huh? New team in long coveted market, and, I'll be damned they now have the #1 pick with no reports on whom they'll select.

I'm not saying its a conspiracy...just saying the situation would make Vince McMahon blush.
It doesn't make sense, but it is such good fun.

OP
OP
cdallan

cdallan

Reaction score
Lack of bulk? Check.

A functional arm rather than a cannon? Check.

Didn't play under center? Check.

Played in gimmicky offense with lots of open receivers? Check.

Looked good but surrounded by a lot of talent, so never had to carry the team himself? Check.

Not good at dealing with pass rush? Check.

Matt Ryan 2.0 would be a great result. I actually went back to read a scouting report or two on Bradford as I couldn't believe how similar Goff sounded.

The thing that would scare me most is the tiny hands. Partly because Donald Trump's rise has made me fear people with small hands, but partly because I have become far more aware of the benefit of large hands to a QB since RW arrived. If this guy isn't great at dealing with the rush, and he has tiny hands, how many times is he going to fumble before it affects his viability as a starting QB?

pehawk

Reaction score
Bradford is an enigma though. Dude hit 8-9 different receivers a game, routinely, his rookie year. That usually, scratch that, almost always translates into a successful career. What happened after that year...no one knows.

I think the lowend comp for Goff is Gabbert. Both have delicious hair too.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I really like Goff. I think he is going to be very good.

kearly

Reaction score
I remember watching Goff in 2013 as a freshman and wondering why he wasn't hyped like crazy. Even as a freshman he was progressing through multiple reads, feeling pressure and playing the game like it was second nature. He's improved every year since then. He is outstanding at keeping his eyes downfield even as he moves laterally around the pocket, and his accuracy is special. Anything he throws short to intermediate is on the button. He's one of the best I've seen at hitting targets in stride with velocity.

Also, I think Goff's arm is under-rated in a Hasselbeck in his prime sort of way. And like Hasselbeck, his mobility isn't something that can be ignored.

I'm starting to wonder if I am being unfair to him for the lack of upset wins. The team around him is just bad. I watched the Stanford game on Draft Breakdown and within the first four minutes of the video there were 4+ perfect passes that were dropped, including a TD.

Goff is a bit like a robot, not a lot of emotion. Which is mostly a good thing. Again, reminds me of Matt Ryan.

I don't know if Goff is quite worth making a Herschel Walker trade for but I do know that I want the Rams taking Wentz.

CPHawk

Reaction score
kearly":y117bodg said:
I remember watching Goff in 2013 as a freshman and wondering why he wasn't hyped like crazy. Even as a freshman he was progressing through multiple reads, feeling pressure and playing the game like it was second nature. He's improved every year since then. He is outstanding at keeping his eyes downfield even as he moves laterally around the pocket, and his accuracy is special. Anything he throws short to intermediate is on the button. He's one of the best I've seen at hitting targets in stride with velocity.

Also, I think Goff's arm is under-rated in a Hasselbeck in his prime sort of way. And like Hasselbeck, his mobility isn't something that can be ignored.

I'm starting to wonder if I am being unfair to him for the lack of upset wins. The team around him is just bad. I watched the Stanford game on Draft Breakdown and within the first four minutes of the video there were 4+ perfect passes that were dropped, including a TD.

Goff is a bit like a robot, not a lot of emotion. Which is mostly a good thing. Again, reminds me of Matt Ryan.

I don't know if Goff is quite worth making a Herschel Walker trade for but I do know that I want the Rams taking Wentz.

Everyone says his team is bad, yet Cal churns out just as much NFL talent as anyone in the conference. It makes no sense, and he obviously had tons of talent at WR and RB over his time at cal.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
kearly":oqdaswdu said:

He can throw cover 3 beaters down the sideline. Plenty of NFL arm. He thinks, and plays, a redline game if he needs to. As far as emotion, ice on the field, fire on the sidelines, seems to have fun. Wins and losses in college are one of the last things I care about.

I don't see Wentz even looking redline to sideline very often. To me, that makes him a much bigger gamble.

Mtjhoyas

Reaction score
I watched a ton of Goff this week...

He has a chance to be a special QB. Like Kearly mentioned, he processes things absurdly quick, great-subtle pocket movements, good enough arm, awesome accuracy, does not get rattled.

I'm actually surprised there's not more buzz. Maybe because he's not a 99 Arm, 99 Speed guy (madden ratings-joke).

There's literally no comparison with him and Wentz. I still don't understand how Carson Wentz is going to go #2 in a draft where Tunsil and Ramsey are available. Wentz reminds me a lot of Jake Locker, except Locker had the luxury of playing against good teams in college. I think people are putting way too much on "Wentz has a great demeanor, attitude, charisma." Quite frankly, I see a QB with nice physical tools who process on field information at the speed of me trying to interpret Japanese (I don't speak Japanese). Harsh, but I really don't understand what people see with this guy, especially after seeing so many "physically gifted QBs who can't process information on the field" fail, in the NFL.

This is why I like Goff so much. He can go through progressions in a zip and is not rattled in the pocket. Bold call, but his pocket movements are better than the vast majority of NFL QBs, right now. I truly believe that.

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3ni6zw7z said:
Wins and losses in college are one of the last things I care about.

As far as I know, there hasn't been a QB with a losing record in college to have NFL success since John Elway. I don't care about wins, but history does show that QBs with a lot of college losses tend to struggle in the NFL.

I think Goff will be an exception.

McGruff

Reaction score
kearly":3rtgd2fh said:
Scottemojo":3rtgd2fh said:
Wins and losses in college are one of the last things I care about.

As far as I know, there hasn't been a QB with a losing record in college to have NFL success since John Elway. I don't care about wins, but history does show that QBs with a lot of college losses tend to struggle in the NFL.

I think Goff will be an exception.

Matt Hasselbeck. 5-7 his last 2 collge sea sons at BC.

delagator7

Reaction score
The Rams specifically Jeff Fisher can draft Peyton Manning and still mess it up. Fisher will never win the NFC West, he just isn't good enough. I have yet to see Fisher draft and develop a Pro-Bowl QB that can lead a team to the Super Bowl. Steve McNair was a fluke beating Bufallo.